theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Pre-Trip Reports (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=161)
-   -   A great big beautiful – Summer 2022 (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1211443)

Goldia 3 Jan 22 05:33 PM

A great big beautiful – Summer 2022

Welcome to another pre-trip report from me. :wave:

A little back story

Little? Ok ;) those who’ve read my trip reports before know there is nothing ‘little’ about them as boy I write a lot, what can I say? There’s a lot to tell :tongue: and I like to share it all with other people who love Orlando too :).

I’m Abby, my husband is David, we have two children Max, who is 17 and is doing his A Levels this year and Kate, who is 14, she’ll turn 15 in March. In the past we have traveled to Orlando as a four, in 2019 my parents came along too, but this year there will be neither four nor six of us. We will be a party of three as Max has decided he doesn’t want to join us on this trip :cry:. I’m sad he won’t be returning with us and I have said to him that I can always add a flight and amend bookings if he changes his mind, but I don't think this is going to happen. He is looking forward to a summer off after his A levels and being able to go out and have fun with his friends.

The title of the trippie

The title of trippie is always important to me :) and those who are veteran Orlando vacationers will already know where it comes from.

Along with many other Dibbers, over the last couple of years we have had to cancel and re-book many trips, with both the 2020 and 2021 Orlando trips cancelled.

So, I settled on the song from Carousel of Progress in the hopes that this year we will all be able to enjoy travel again across the pond :thumbs-up.

There’s a great, big, beautiful tomorrow
Shining at the end of every day
There’s a great, big, beautiful tomorrow
And tomorrow’s just a dream away.
Man has a dream and that's the start
He follows his dream with mind and heart
And when it becomes a reality
It's a dream come true for you and me
So there's a great, big, beautiful tomorrow
Shining at the end of every day
There's a great, big, beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away

It says it all doesn’t it? Just a dream away :mickeywal

A bit of History

So, next up a bit of history, cos I love reminiscing :tongue:. It's one of the reasons that I love to read other peoples trip reports as I get to remember all the fun we've had on our trips.

I'll tell you a story all about how our lives got more Disney-fied over the years. You may not know, but we’ve been to Orlando before ;). We always travel at the same time of year, the first two weeks of the summer holidays so the end of July and beginning of August. I'm a teacher, Dave works at a college and of course the kids are both in school so we've always traveled when AK is hotter than the surface of the sun. In pretty much all our photos we've all had to wipe the sweat from our brow's in the hopes we're not too shiny. FYI - this pre trip will be full of useful tips like that ;)

This summer will be our 6th time to Orlando. It's the 8th trip I've booked, but, well you've all been there not all of those trips went ahead.

When did it all begin? I hear you ask :tongue: well some of you surely are asking that. I daresay there are others of you who are wondering when I will get onto the plan for the future trip ;) you may have skip on ahead a little bit I'm afraid.

Our first trip was in 2014, Max was 9 and Kate was 7. We stayed at CBR in a pirate room with the QSDP.

I was a newbie at this planning malarkey and only discovered FP+ was a thing about 72 hours before the holiday, I'd never heard of ADRs and I didn’t know we could or should plan some stuff in advance. Yes, we were those people who turned up without an ADR at all :omg:.

It was still a fantastic holiday.

Our second trip was in 2016, Max was 11 and Kate was 9. Once again we stayed at CBR this time we upgraded the free QSDP to the DDP and we had ADRs booked as I’d discovered the Dibb ;).

Our third trip in 2017 did not include WDW. The previous two were WDW exclusively, we hadn't set foot outside of the Disney bubble. But of course Orlando has a lot more than just WDW. This year we did a split stay with 4 nights in NYC and 10 in Orlando going to Discovery Cove, Seaworld, Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure.

Our fourth trip was the It’s All About the Mouse trip and back to being just WDW. We stayed at OKW with DDP again.

We did the 4 parks 1 day challenge, which was awesome and at the end of the trip I surprised the kids with a 2 night stay in a Royal Room at POR.

The Bare Necessities Orlando trip included 14 nights at POFQ with upgraded DDP, a swim with the dolphins at Discovery Cove and of course back to Universal staying at RPR. This year was different though as my parents also came along.

Our Orlando trip of course was cancelled and instead Kate and Me enjoyed a very last minute trip to DLP.

This trip also ended up being cancelled, but we did enjoy two weeks of relaxation in an all inclusive resort in Jamaica and we were back to being a group of 6 again as Mum and Dad came with us. This holiday was a lot of cocktails, lounging on the beach and eating.

Which finally brings me up to date and I can now start telling you about the plan for this summer.

At the moment I haven’t got any flights booked :omg:, partly because I’d been hoping Max would change his mind and partly because, jeez, they are all so expensive. So, there will be flying talk later in the trippie.

Never fear, we do have three hotels booked and 14 day tickets. Two of the hotel bookings overlap :omg: so that's another thing that needs sorting out...

Here's what happened.

I booked up 10 nights at Coronado Springs Resort when the free dining plan wasn't announced and we were fobbed off with a dining credit ;). Our check in day is 29th July so that includes 14 day tickets and the room for four people as I didn't know Max wouldn't want to come.

Then I did some serious thinking and researching and it ended up in us becoming DVC members! What? How did that happen?

The short story is I bought a 150 point resale contract for Copper Creek Villas. The long story of the DVC purchase will be shared later in a new post as this is just the opening gambit of this pre trip report and I've already rambled on for ages ;).

So, we also check in on 1st August for 5 nights at CCV in the Wilderness Lodge. This is my absolute favourite WDW resort. I cannot wait to be welcomed home.

After that on 6th August we are moving over to Boardwalk Villas. Again this is a DVC room, but this one is a rental booking with David’s DVC as we had a voucher from the cancelled 2020 trip that needed to be used. For 6 nights we will be within walking distance from both Epcot and HS and this is also something I’m really looking forward to.

So, as you can tell there is still a bit of stuff to be sorted out. We have the bare bones of a plan though and I hope you'll all join me in this pre trip.

lexie32 3 Jan 22 05:37 PM

Looking forward to following along, no WDW trip for us next year but hoping we get to go back one day !

Fuellady 3 Jan 22 06:21 PM

Well, well... I only popped on to do a villa request for our trip in May and stumbled across this :d:

Isn't it lovely that we can all start looking forward to holidays again? I was so happy to find this, and of course will be following along.

How did Max suddenly become 17? Wasn't he like, 12 or something last year?!?!?! What a shame he isn't coming with you :cry:

DVC Members - how exciting :spin::spin::spin: Can't wait to hear more about how that came about. All of your accommodation choices sound fab - hopefully you manage to sort out all of the bits and bobs to make a coherent plan (I have no doubts about this!)

Edited to add: I love the trip title - Carousel of Progress is one of my most favourite rides, and I love the words to the song. I always intended to get a vinyl sticker thing of the words for the big wall going up my stairs but never got around to it :blush:

caitlinsmummy 3 Jan 22 06:56 PM

Oh Abby I am so so pleased to see this and I absolutely cannot wait to follow along with your plans! :D I'm so excited to see how your DVC journey goes, I having a feeling this is going to be an epic trip, so many beautiful resorts to experience, such a perk of DVC.

Like Lynda I can't believe how grown up Max and Kate are, it's scary really isn't it! X

Orlando 2004 3 Jan 22 07:45 PM

Looking forward to reading along. We loved our stay at Coronado. We're also currently researching DVC having rented at The Beach Club through Davids in 2018. I've read through the thread you started when you were thinking about it. 🙂

Taffy1959 3 Jan 22 08:06 PM

So pleased to find this and will be following along.
Your accommodation sounds amazing and It must be so exciting to be DVC members.
It’s fantastic being able to read the pre trip reports and trip reports again.

Sparksy72 3 Jan 22 08:20 PM

This is so exciting Abby! 🤩 DVC Members as well, I can’t wait to hear how that all came about! I’m sorry to hear that Max isn’t going, however I’m sure it won’t be too long before he decides that he misses Orlando (and his Mum, Dad and Sister!) and chooses to holiday with you again. 💝 I’m looking forward to a good spreadsheet and also our trip to Miller’s for cocktails and zingers! 😉🍹 xx

princess allie 3 Jan 22 08:21 PM

I’ve read your previous trippies and am looking forward to all the pre trip plans before the main event too.

Goldia 3 Jan 22 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lexie32 (Post 15267976)
Looking forward to following along, no WDW trip for us next year but hoping we get to go back one day !

Glad to have you along for the ride! You'll get back one day, meanwhile it's just a dream away :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuellady (Post 15268046)
Well, well... I only popped on to do a villa request for our trip in May and stumbled across this :d:

Isn't it lovely that we can all start looking forward to holidays again? I was so happy to find this, and of course will be following along.

How did Max suddenly become 17? Wasn't he like, 12 or something last year?!?!?! What a shame he isn't coming with you :cry:

DVC Members - how exciting :spin::spin::spin: Can't wait to hear more about how that came about. All of your accommodation choices sound fab - hopefully you manage to sort out all of the bits and bobs to make a coherent plan (I have no doubts about this!)

Edited to add: I love the trip title - Carousel of Progress is one of my most favourite rides, and I love the words to the song. I always intended to get a vinyl sticker thing of the words for the big wall going up my stairs but never got around to it :blush:

Hey Lynda

I remember your first post on my first trippie! That was our NYC and Orlando trip report. I was so pleased FuelLady was reading my report :blush: I'd learned such a lot from your NYC Adventure. So, I'm glad to see you've popped onto the Dibb at the perfect time.

I assume you're looking for a villa for a stay in Orlando. I hope you find one you like. I can see from your signature you're trying out business flights. That will be amazing, you will love it.

Max sure has grown up over the last couple of years. He came to Jamaica and also on a city break to Rome in October but he said he doesn't want to miss his last summer with all his friends at home, so he doesn't want to come away with us. I can understand that.

I'm sure all the hotels and other bits will fall into place until I sort the flights I don't want to mess around with other hotels. So I'm on the look out for decent prices.

I'll spill the beans about the DVC membership soon that is something that is sorted!

Quote:

Originally Posted by caitlinsmummy (Post 15268084)
Oh Abby I am so so pleased to see this and I absolutely cannot wait to follow along with your plans! :D I'm so excited to see how your DVC journey goes, I having a feeling this is going to be an epic trip, so many beautiful resorts to experience, such a perk of DVC.

Like Lynda I can't believe how grown up Max and Kate are, it's scary really isn't it! X

Hi Kelly

It's a new year and I'm excited to get back to planning. Reading your updates about your trip spurred me on to start this pre trip report. I hope you're right and this is an epic trip. It will be different than our previous trips with no DDP and no FP but I'm looking forward to more freedom to do what we want and maybe even order appetizers!

The kids sure have grown up a lot. Fingers crossed Kate is still keen to come on holiday with us for a few years then I can still pretend we are going to Orlando for the kids and not just for me :pgig:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orlando 2004 (Post 15268156)
Looking forward to reading along. We loved our stay at Coronado. We're also currently researching DVC having rented at The Beach Club through Davids in 2018. I've read through the thread you started when you were thinking about it. 🙂

We've not stayed at Coronado before and I kind of don't want to give it up, but the other 2 resorts are set in stone so I think at best it will be a couple of nights at the beginning of the trip. This works well because the tickets are linked to this booking and obviously we will want the tickets for the rest of the holiday. So I'm currently looking for flights from around 26th July and then I'm hoping to reduce the CSR booking to 5 nights and check in earlier... we will see it may not pan out like that as I've got a feeling it was only available from 29th.

Still plenty of time to sort out the fine details!

Goldia 3 Jan 22 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taffy1959 (Post 15268186)
So pleased to find this and will be following along.
Your accommodation sounds amazing and It must be so exciting to be DVC members.
It’s fantastic being able to read the pre trip reports and trip reports again.

I 100% agree, I'm loving reading trip reports again too :) I'm so looking forward to getting back in the planning frame of mind and stop wondering if the trip will go ahead or not.

I keep having to remind myself that now we have DVC we don't have to cram everything into the current trip as there will absolutely be more to come. So, if it looks like I'm over doing it in terms of planning too much you've got to give me metaphorical pinch and let me know to slow down and leave something for the next trip!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparksy72 (Post 15268202)
This is so exciting Abby! 🤩 DVC Members as well, I can’t wait to hear how that all came about! I’m sorry to hear that Max isn’t going, however I’m sure it won’t be too long before he decides that he misses Orlando (and his Mum, Dad and Sister!) and chooses to holiday with you again. 💝 I’m looking forward to a good spreadsheet and also our trip to Miller’s for cocktails and zingers! 😉🍹 xx

I mentioned the trip to Max last week when I was dropping him off at work and asked if he'd changed his mind and he said he hadn't. I have said that I can easily add him. We also offered to get a DVC villa so he could have some separate space, or two hotel rooms if the DVC didn't come through, as we know sharing a room all 4 of us is tight and we are in each other's pockets. But it's not that he doesn't want to be with us, it's more that he wants to be with his friends more. We also offered for him to bring a friend, but he didn't fancy that either. Ah well, hopefully in years to come he will want to holiday with us again.

You can bet there will be spreadsheets :D I've got the DVC story to tell and of course we have a date, I'm looking forward to some cocktails and we've never been to Miller's before so that will be a first for us.

Quote:

Originally Posted by princess allie (Post 15268205)
I’ve read your previous trippies and am looking forward to all the pre trip plans before the main event too.

Yay :thumbs-up I'm so excited for the new year and writing the pre trip. I'm glad you're reading again.