theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=171)
-   -   return to Cali. 6 years on from last visit (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1184225)

florida_noob 27 Nov 20 07:47 PM

return to Cali. 6 years on from last visit

Just trying to pull an Itinery together for next july, August

this is our second time so have done Anaheim, Universal and plain awful hollywood (IMHO!) also done SF and Yosemite so are looking for recommendations for PCH, inc places to stay, we dont do budget accomodation but there will be 4 of us 3A and 1YA, Pismo Beach and Monterey look worth a stop

we might fly internally to try to cover one of the following

YellowStone
Grand Canyon/Monument Valley
Hawaii

any thoughts or help on these?

anyone hired an RV?

any hidden gems worth exploring or staying in?

Mrs Red C 27 Nov 20 08:06 PM

We really enjoyed Solvang, it's a lovely Danish based community. It has a Mission Church dated 1804 if you like history, lovely pastries at Olesen's Bakery and other lovely food and beer around.
We find Monterrey very expensive esp the Aquarium.
We also visited Henry Cowell NP for big trees and there's also a steam train there too if you like that.

There should be trip reports from our April 2018 holiday under Red Cuillen name if you want to take a look. Trip report posted May 2018, day 2 of our trip, in the indexes

cornishfrogboy 27 Nov 20 08:51 PM

Have a look at the pre trippie in my signature. Parts of it are very relevant to your question.
Might be also worth looking at my California N to South trip report also.

Both will help between them with San Simeon, Monterey, San Luis Obispo, Pismo Beach, Solvang, the PCH, also Grand Canyon. Accommodation standard varies from budget to rather good as we sometimes prioritise location over quality (or vice versa).

Both are single thread.

KarenG 30 Nov 20 11:14 AM

I would rule out Hawaii for the moment - the rules around who can and can’t enter keep changing and they’ve just reinstated a 14 day quarantine for one of the islands. On top of that a lot of shops, restaurants and tourist attractions are still closed (because... no tourists) and some of the locals are not showing the usual Aloha spirit to visitors.

It’s an amazing place but I wouldn’t want to go until things are clearer and the economy has recovered there somewhat.

Guest 30 Nov 20 12:11 PM

Agree with KarenG .
Our hawaii trip was obviously cancelled this year but I’ve followed their news /rules closely and I just can’t see it being easy to travel there by next summer .

florida_noob 4 Jan 21 01:03 PM

We have decided to cancel our reward flights, We do not see that we will be able to go in July, or if we do it will be with restrictions, and as we already have plans for next year moving them is not really an option, we will look to rebook in the future for 2023.

TinkerBabe 4 Jan 21 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by florida_noob (Post 14778824)
We have decided to cancel our reward flights, We do not see that we will be able to go in July, or if we do it will be with restrictions, and as we already have plans for next year moving them is not really an option, we will look to rebook in the future for 2023.

Such a shame, but I understand your reasoning. We have a trip booked (Miami, keys and cruise) for August (moved from last year) and its hard to get motivated to book hotels and plan the route when there is a 50/50 chance of it happening. We are staying positive and booking everything with free cancellation, and flights were reward seats so can be cancelled. Fingers crossed for your future trips, Im sure they will be worth the wait!

florida_noob 4 Jan 21 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TinkerBabe (Post 14778880)
Such a shame, but I understand your reasoning. We have a trip booked (Miami, keys and cruise) for August (moved from last year) and its hard to get motivated to book hotels and plan the route when there is a 50/50 chance of it happening. We are staying positive and booking everything with free cancellation, and flights were reward seats so can be cancelled. Fingers crossed for your future trips, Im sure they will be worth the wait!

Thanks you too

we have a cruise booked for next summer, but due to exams (hopefully) we cant get away earlier hence 2023. after that it might just be me and DW, the plus side is we now have around 300k of points and 3 companion vouchers to use!

TinkerBabe 4 Jan 21 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by florida_noob (Post 14778907)
Thanks you too

we have a cruise booked for next summer, but due to exams (hopefully) we cant get away earlier hence 2023. after that it might just be me and DW, the plus side is we now have around 300k of points and 3 companion vouchers to use!

The points and companion vouchers soon stack up don't they! We also have reward flights to Vegas for 10 days in October, which I'm slightly more optimistic about - hope I haven't just jinxed it!

florida_noob 8 Jan 21 03:00 PM

all cancelled now and confirmed, Virgin even waived the fee to cancel, will all be back in our account in 14days. we will be back as soon as its safe to do so.