theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Our 1st DVC stay - LIVE - March 2011 (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=490290)

margyloveswdw 7 Mar 11 12:18 AM

Our 1st DVC stay - LIVE - March 2011

No pretrip for this one as I never got round to doing one so quick introductions:

Me - Helen (36) and DH Ian (37) on our 10th visit together - for more info on us and photos please check out previous reports in my signature...

So we arrived yesterday (Saturday) in Orlando, a whole hour early after a very uneventful flight :D. We opted to upgrade to PE at check in and we were assigned 75 A and C (exit row) upstairs. Within an hour of taking off (slightly early at 10.15am) on Hot Lips, (G-VLIP) we had been served our lunch -salmon salad (neither of us ate), DH had the vegetable curry option and I chose the Beef Hot Pot, (the third was fishcakes), followed by a raspberry and white chocolate mousse type dessert and cheese and biscuits. Both were nice enough and it was novel to get the PE beef option (we usually sit towards the back of the PE cabin and they always run out of the beef option).

During the flight DH watched True Grit and Morning Glory (both of which he enjoyed) while I tried to doze and do my favourite Killer Sudoku puzzles. The first couple of hours were smooth, then a bit rocky for a couple of hours with the seatbelt sign being put on a couple of times. Ice creams (strawberry or vanilla) were served mid afternoon and towards the end of the flight sandwiches (coronation chicken or cheese and pickle) along with chocolate chip and raisin cookie were available. Again ok but nothing to write home about! I got the people behind who decided it was perfectly acceptable to pull on my seat every time they wanted to get up and down :erm: - some people are soooo inconsiderate - it was nice to have lots of room in front though! :spin: The landing into Orlando was not at all smooth but apparently it was quite windy! We deplaned and were within the first 50 or so in the immigration queue - eventually going thorugh the crew line and getting a pleasant immigration officer, proving they do exist ;). Our cases came off quickly and within 30 minutes we were at the Magical Express desk (a first for us to skip the car hire line) and on our way to our home for the next 12 nights - Saratoga Springs Resort and our first stay as DVC members. We checked in around 3.30pm and were told our room wasn't ready and were given a card to call the number after 4pm to get our room number. We opted just to wait in the lobby area and look through our information pack. I called the number just after 4pm to find that we had been assigned room 5647 which is in The Paddock and we made our way over to our home for the next 12 days. For those of you famililar with SSR, we headed straight past the pool, over the bridge across the lake and our room was in the first building next to the (currently closed) Paddock Pool. We are the first room on the first floor and have a view over the lake. It is about a five minute walk to the bus stop (the one just by us is closed) and just a little futher to the main building so we are pleased with our location. :grin:

After looking round our studio and opening one of the cases to find my flip flops (or now we're in America - thongs :d:) we headed over to Artisit's Palette to get our refillable mugs and a counter service meal. Disappointingly, although the napkins and drink cups have changed to the new design, the refillable mugs haven't yet :( and so we have the same ones as the last time we stayed on property (Pop Century in May 2009). We are on the dining plan for the very first time and for our first meal I had the grilled vegetable flatbread (lovely veg but the flatbread was so crispy it wasn't funny) and DH had the soup and sandwich combo (Toga wrap) which he really enjoyed. We both had a vanilla cupcake for dessert and took our first american coffee and cream back to the room. Unpacked and got settled and DH made the mistake of getting in bed and reading - by 7pm he was asleep but I managed another hour (maily channel surfing) or so before I joined him! We had orignally planned to get the boat to DTD and eat at Earl of sandwich to make us stay awake longer but tbh I couldn't be bothered and just wanted to chill out!

So, travel day over and done with and according to the weather channel we are in for a rough 1st day tomorrow. Violent thunderstorms, definate rain, 87% humidity, possible isolated tornados... watch this space!

KarenG 7 Mar 11 12:30 AM

Have a wonderful trip! :wavey:

Enjoy those thongs ;)

Guest 7 Mar 11 12:46 AM

Great start! Welcome home!

adsy198 7 Mar 11 02:09 AM

cant wait to read the rest!

scotsprincess 7 Mar 11 07:44 AM

great start, looking forward to reading more:)

joanna23 7 Mar 11 08:08 AM

Have a great trip, could you do me a huge favour and ask when the new pool will be opening? We're in SSR in August. Looking forward to reading your live report!

Disney_Diva 7 Mar 11 08:12 AM

Great start, have a wonderful trip x

mandy_mccormac 7 Mar 11 08:19 AM

:wave:OO i love live trippies, hope you have a great trip, off to subscribe:thumbs-up

Guest 7 Mar 11 08:20 AM

Great start...looking forward to the next instalment!

lady emz 7 Mar 11 08:28 AM

Have a magical trip! :) Hope the weather is not too bad for you