theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Pet calming music during firework season (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1207552)

megaflyer 4 Nov 21 01:48 PM

Pet calming music during firework season

Classic FM is doing its annual Pet Calming programmes

https://www.classicfm.com/radio/show.../pet-classics/

Tune your dial on your wireless for this - I dont have a pet but hate big bangs and Woops of fireworks so will be listening to this for sure (as I do every year)

Bats 4 Nov 21 02:25 PM

Anything that helps is a good thing. Not just for pets though, plenty of ex military who suffer from PTSD could use this kind of thing to smother the noise of the fireworks.

megaflyer 4 Nov 21 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bats (Post 15200397)
Anything that helps is a good thing. Not just for pets though, plenty of ex military who suffer from PTSD could use this kind of thing to smother the noise of the fireworks.

Absolutely right - the sooner we just allow fireworks in designated spaces at designated nights the better

EssexSue 4 Nov 21 02:40 PM

Why do they have to be so loud? They were not like this when I was a child.

THE WIZARD 4 Nov 21 03:07 PM

I totally agree unless its a proper organised situation then they should not be sold at all!
We are lucky in as much as every dog I have ever had as an adult, after the first terrified animal as a child, I have started at soon as possible making a whistling noise as per fireworks, well in advance of the possibility of hearing them. Has always worked, last three dogs we have had to open the curtains so they can sit and watch them in the sky with us! If only people would start to train their animals as soon as possible but I guess lots never think of such things and also no matter what you do some, like people, will inevitably always find strange noises and loud bangs frightening sadly.
I so pity wild animals & horses/cows/sheep etc out in fields alone tho, poor things must be terrified.

levtweeney 4 Nov 21 03:20 PM

I don’t mind fireworks at all either in gardens or at displays. My only real issue is why we have to have ones called “extreme air burst”, “thunderbolt” or even “boom slayer” these are soooo loud and can shake your windows. I think they should have a decibel limit. Those below are called the Hulk :d:

This will be my Labradors first year with fireworks so I hope she will be OK. She seems fine with the odd one going off so far.

Gill H 4 Nov 21 03:31 PM

Nice idea! There are also YouTube videos for cats which show birds flying. Cookie loves to watch them.

Sew109 4 Nov 21 03:32 PM

Our labs never had a problem (when we had labs) they were quieter than our shotguns 😀

petit-pois 4 Nov 21 03:41 PM

Thank you for this, I hadn’t heard of it before. Our little rescue girl shakes so much she throws up. Hope this helps her, I dread this time of year.
I actually think I’m in the minority that I just don’t ‘get’ fireworks. All I see is money going up in flames, not to mention the emissions and accidents every year. Call me a spoilsport but I’d ban them totally.

megaflyer 4 Nov 21 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petit-pois (Post 15200519)
Thank you for this, I hadn’t heard of it before. Our little rescue girl shakes so much she throws up. Hope this helps her, I dread this time of year.
I actually think I’m in the minority that I just don’t ‘get’ fireworks. All I see is money going up in flames, not to mention the emissions and accidents every year. Call me a spoilsport but I’d ban them totally.

I am in that minority with you - I hate what they do to the environment (noise and pollution) and grateful the Mayor on London has cancelled this years event again. I don't want my council tax fining 1 penny of it . Every bang makes me shudder with fear