theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Disneyland Paris Trip Planning (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=156)
-   -   Additional Needs DLP (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1100114)

LittleMissD 16 Sep 18 03:33 PM

Additional Needs DLP

OH and I are old hands at DLP, but this year my family are travelling with us which has thrown up some things we’ve not had to consider when there in the past. Dad is in a wheelchair, whether or not he can transfer will depend what sort of day he’s having and we’re prepared for that.

For my niece and nephew it’s a surprise, they don’t know we’re going (yet) but my nephew has ADHD and lots of ASD traits. With that in mind, does anyone who’s travelled with children with additional need have any tips or tricks? I’ll pack ear defenders but he can get anxious especially if he’s got to queue for a while or it’s busy.

AhoyShipmates 17 Sep 18 06:53 AM

Check out the Special Needs section in the Dibb forum. It mostly deals with WDW but a lot of the tips are general and very helpful.
Children with hidden disabilities such as ADHD and ASD are entitled to a priority pass which operates like the Fastpass in DLP, ie you get a return time for every ride so you don’t have to queue. In the US you don’t have to prove the disability and I would imagine EU law is the same, but his parents could always bring a letter from their paediatrician or about his DLA, if he gets that.
Having said that, our son coped brilliantly in WDW earlier this year and we didn’t need a pass. The amount of stimulation in the parks stopped any restlessness and we used Fastpasses and early starts to avoid big queues.

LittleMissD 17 Sep 18 07:07 AM

Thanks AhoyShipmates, I’ll have a look 😊

AhoyShipmates 17 Sep 18 07:48 AM

Another thing: our boy gets more anxious if he knows about things too far in advance (more than a few days - it’s killing me having to keep our pre-Christmas trip to myself!), but some children benefit from a visual timetable, even a rough one divided into morning and evening with one activity named/pictured per section. Maybe you could prepare one for your nephew for his parents to give him when they tell him about the trip.

And if he has a device like a Nintendo he uses at home to zone out when things get too much, bring that to the parks just in case. It might prevent an overwhelm meltdown.

I hope you all have a lovely trip 🙂

NatashaAudrey 17 Sep 18 10:49 AM

Also just as a side point the adult accompying your nephew is entitled to park tickets for FREE. I have Cerebral Palsy and my OH is not my registered carer but that doesn’t matter. As long as he has (DLA/PIP entitlement letter, a blue badge OR a doctors note detailing his condition). I booked as a package and only found out recently that we could have this. I called customer services and they’ve given us a £147 refund, so it’s always worth asking. 😊

Gill H 17 Sep 18 12:14 PM

You do need proof of additional needs at DLP. I will let someone more exerienced than me give you details!

We went with friends in 2011 and one of their children had a condition similar to ASD. They took a doctor’s note.

His pass allowed him plus a parent and sometimes others (it varied) to come back at a specific time or to use the disabled entrance which is quieter.

I did feel bad when all 8 of us were allowed in to the disabled seating area for the Animagique show, but that is what the pass allowed. Don’t know if it is the same for Mickey & the Magician show now, but the queuing area for that is like a cattle truck, so I would hope there is a way to avoid it. (If you have a Mastercard you can apparently book priority seats on the day now, which might be another option. No charge but you have to go to Guest Services at park opening to book).

Be aware that some rides may not allow him on because of French law - something about not being able to get off alone if it broke down. I think parachute drop is the only one that says this. I believethe English wording is very clumsy and says something like ‘mental deficiencies’ but they may have changed that now.

AhoyShipmates 17 Sep 18 12:57 PM

I just rang customer services to ask about our hotel room and checked on this too. It’s not at all like WDW! You have to take a doctor’s letter stating the diagnosis of whichever condition it is to City Hall within the park when you arrive. They give you a form to fill in where you tick the relevant condition and level / type of difficulty it presents in the parks. They then give you an orange or green pass (bit like Mission Space) depending on the level of need.

AhoyShipmates 17 Sep 18 12:58 PM

Oh, and the doctor’s letter or whichever proof documentation you need has to be dated within three months of your trip.

LittleMissD 17 Sep 18 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AhoyShipmates (Post 13491521)
Another thing: our boy gets more anxious if he knows about things too far in advance (more than a few days - it’s killing me having to keep our pre-Christmas trip to myself!), but some children benefit from a visual timetable, even a rough one divided into morning and evening with one activity named/pictured per section. Maybe you could prepare one for your nephew for his parents to give him when they tell him about the trip.

And if he has a device like a Nintendo he uses at home to zone out when things get too much, bring that to the parks just in case. It might prevent an overwhelm meltdown.

I hope you all have a lovely trip 🙂

We won’t tell him until after Christmas. My sister told him they were going to Greece and he went and put his swimsuit and flip-flops on... he doesn’t go for another 5 weeks!

A visual timetable is a nice idea. We’ve booked Buffalo Bills so he’ll know when to expect that too.

LittleMissD 17 Sep 18 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NatashaAudrey (Post 13491784)
Also just as a side point the adult accompying your nephew is entitled to park tickets for FREE. I have Cerebral Palsy and my OH is not my registered carer but that doesn’t matter. As long as he has (DLA/PIP entitlement letter, a blue badge OR a doctors note detailing his condition). I booked as a package and only found out recently that we could have this. I called customer services and they’ve given us a £147 refund, so it’s always worth asking. 😊

Thanks for the heads up. His mum gets DLA for him and Dad has a blue badge so that’s handy. If Dad’s having a bad day he won’t be able to transfer so I think it rules out lots of rides for him but my nephew will want to do the rollercoasters and will struggle with the queues.