theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   DIY Passport Photos (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1079967)

nquart 12 May 18 10:54 AM

DIY Passport Photos

Hi all,

DD is getting a new passport and we don't want to waste money paying for 6 photos that we only need 2 of so want to take them ourselves.

DH has a good camera and we have plenty of neutral walls but we can't take a photo without any shadows in the background.

Does anyone have any tips/advice please?

TheRobsters 12 May 18 11:09 AM

I renewed my passport recently. I had my son take the picture in an iPad with the flash on. He also used his camera torch light at the same time... . We did it in daylight so there was no need to have any other lighting on.
Hope that helps.
As an aside, I posted the the old passport off on the Friday and had the new one back by the following Thursday. Was very impressed with the service! And was updated with text messages daily.

H_C-2017 12 May 18 11:23 AM

I recently had to get a passport sized photo for my Workd Cup FanID.
My dad has a dslr, we put up a white sheet and took the photo with the flash on.
I then went online and googled ‘free passport photo’ and uploaded the oringal photo and the website generated a passport sized one and made the background clearer etc.
Can’t remember the exact website sorry.
It was accepted though so must have been okay!

Guest 12 May 18 01:07 PM

I have to have one taken for my Swimming Official Licence, they are £7.50 around here, i might have a go at this :)

Guest 12 May 18 01:37 PM

just done mine on

www.idphoto4you.com

very easy to do, now of to the supermarket to print on quality photo paper ( i think they are 45p a photo )

Alices Aunt 12 May 18 02:02 PM

How far away from the wall are you? The guidance tells people to stand about half a meter away from he wall which seems to work.

Other than that no flash and lots of natural daylight as well

boltyboy 12 May 18 02:07 PM

I used THIS site, easy to use then downloaded to a memory card and printed off at Tesco total cost 25p. A few tips, don't take the photo too close up you can always crop, use a grey, cream or white back ground, try not to use a flash but natural light to limit any shadows and stand a couple of feet away from the background also to limit shadows behind you. The passport office don't like shadows.

WhereIBelong 12 May 18 02:09 PM

We tried lots of home ones on the phone, but couldn't get it clear and shadow free - so went to a photo booth that gives you the online code - took the pics, got the code, went online and got passport back within a week of sending old one.

Guest 12 May 18 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alices Aunt (Post 13246131)
How far away from the wall are you? The guidance tells people to stand about half a meter away from he wall which seems to work.

Other than that no flash and lots of natural daylight as well

I must have stood about 1/2 of that away from the wall, it is in our dining room which is off the conservatory so really light

Little / no shadow

though to be fair to mine, it is only for a Swimming officials license, so not as strict as a passport

nquart 12 May 18 03:54 PM

Thanks all, DH is on the case :)