theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General Trip Reports (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Sights,Bites and Maltese Delights. Malta Oct 21. Day 6. Part 1. It’s even better in Valletta (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1207188)

WileyCoyote 30 Oct 21 08:37 PM

Sights,Bites and Maltese Delights. Malta Oct 21. Day 6. Part 1. It’s even better in Valletta

Part 1 Caffe Cordina and St John’s Cathedral

Today we went sightseeing in Valletta.
I took LOTS of photos
So I’m splitting this into three parts. Like any good story ..
The Beginning ( breakfast and a Cathedral)
The Middle ( The war rooms and drinkies)
The End (A very disappointing dinner)

But first ... I woke up and was excited for my birthday cards. I’m still such a child

and I was looking forward to sightseeing round Valletta today.

I had found a quick walking guide and it looked like the city was pretty compact

We were up and out by 9 and took a hotel car to the the City Gates - it cost 22 euros. Later in the trip we took a taxi which was 17 euros and even later we used the Bolt app and it was only 14 euros so a bit of research on travel options definitely worth it. :thumbs-up

I tried in vain to take some snaps on the way - miserable fail

It didnt take too long to get there - we had timed it just right to beat the morning rush into the city - there were long queues going the other way though

This was meant to be a pic of the golden eagle statue - what a fail :pgig:

The car dropped us by the city fountain

Over the walkway into the city

There was a protest taking place outside the civic building near the entrance .

I spotted what looked like a tour group veering to the right and decided to tailgate to see where they went - which was a good plan as i dont think we would have explored these streets other wise

It wasnt a long detour but some lovely buildings

and we were back on the Republic Street passing this dude

So many lovely side streets and ornate buildings

Andy was keen to get a coffee and asked about stopping at Maccies :nonono: but I wanted to have breakfast at an old cafe a bit further ahead so he was a bit hangry by the time we got there :omg: and before I could say - “its an amazing building , lets sit inside” he had plonked himself down and we had the most amazing view . You can see what’s coming ..

Not the best view :nonono:

Yes, never let your hangry husband pick the seating :pgig:

Ah , this wasnt a great start . But the menu looked good.

I thought the day was going to be all downhill with the rubbish view and the first thing I picked off the menu apparently wasn’t available until after 11. :(

But determined not to get off to a bad start , I ordered a traditional Maltese cream cheese pastizzi

and some crepes ( banana, fig, pistachio and fruit purée)

and Andy was v happy with his full English.

The van also pulled away and our view suddenly improved

Very apt - some very English objects with an English breakfast.

It was all very nice and a reasonable bill.

I popped inside to use the loo and check out the patisserie as well as look at the lovely interior. - the loos were down some steep steps though and quite low ceilings so a bit of a tricky challenge :erm:

It’s beautiful inside

I showed Andy the pics when I got back and we agreed we would come back later for lunch and have a drink inside :thumbs-up

Being a seasoned Dibber - and adopting the approach of hit the big attraction first- we were aiming today to see the Cathedral, Lascaris war rooms, maybe a museum and the Gardens - in that order. I had read the Cathedral can get crowded and with needing to wear masks , I wasnt fancying it being hot and too busy.

The hotel concierge had helpfully given us a map

We set off for the Cathedral

The first two pics are the library and the last one is the courts which seemed to be very busy.

It was 15 euros each for the Cathedral and we opted to take the audio guide ( this was very good ) . You weren’t allowed bare shoulders - did see a few people covered up with the shawls that they handed out. The hotel concierge had said Andy might not get in with wearing shorts but he was fine - and plenty of people were wearing shorts in there

It is a breathtaking building.

Almost overwhelming with the sparkling gilt work

paintings

and the incredible marble flagstones over the tombs

each one for one of the Knights of St John. I found the whole Knights history really interesting - the link to St John Ambulance and the history of association with the painter Caravaggio.

I had expected us to be in and out but we were both fascinated and stayed longer than we expected.

There were so many annexes to explore - each as intricate as the last but in different styles

Sensory overload actually...so much to take in

We saw the Caravaggio’s

And then we split up... Andy went off to go down to the crypt.

I went up to the balcony - but as I stepped out I had a bit of vertigo and couldn’t go any further ... the steps up had been super twisty and then you come out onto this narrow balcony and for a second I felt a bit dizzy so I thought I would be better off making my way back down.

You can see the balcony here across the back here

It was just magnificent. So much intricate sculpture

We thoroughly enjoyed looking round.

I had by now got a bit hot in my mask and sat down for a bit by the exit waiting for Andy . It had also got much and harder to see things so definitely a good call to go early.

Our next stop was the Lascaris War Rooms which Apple maps assured me was only a few minutes away ..

Hmmm, we shall see :erm::pgig:

JudeB 30 Oct 21 10:59 PM

We loved Valletta! Fantastic photos. Looking forward to the next instalment.

MrsBC 30 Oct 21 11:08 PM

Bringing back memories of many happy holidays there. It's a lovely city to explore - so much to see in a small area.

WileyCoyote 31 Oct 21 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JudeB (Post 15194717)
We loved Valletta! Fantastic photos. Looking forward to the next instalment.

Thank you :spin: I did like looking back on these yesterday . It was such a nice day and so sunny . Hoping to get the rest done today.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrsBC (Post 15194726)
Bringing back memories of many happy holidays there. It's a lovely city to explore - so much to see in a small area.

Ah that’s nice :) loved Valletta. We went back a couple of times. Still lots we didn’t see - a few things closed because of COVID but we loved the feel of it.

Goldia 6 Nov 21 10:44 AM

Such a beautiful cathedral. Valetta has some lovely winding streets and pretty buildings.

WileyCoyote 9 Nov 21 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldia (Post 15202552)
Such a beautiful cathedral. Valetta has some lovely winding streets and pretty buildings.

It really is beautiful. So much to look at, we loved it .

smithlane 11 Nov 21 10:11 AM

My god Andy and Jim are like two peas in a pod with their hangryness! Jim would have done EXACTLY the same. Men!

Valletta looks absolutely stunning though, that Cathedral 😍

WileyCoyote 14 Nov 21 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithlane (Post 15208472)
My god Andy and Jim are like two peas in a pod with their hangryness! Jim would have done EXACTLY the same. Men!

Valletta looks absolutely stunning though, that Cathedral 😍

I really couldn’t believe it - and over breakfast he then said .. that building looks like it’s really nice inside :confused2. At least we got in later and could have a laugh about it ;)

Loved Valletta. Beautiful, so reminiscent of Italy.

jocat 28 Nov 21 07:09 PM

Some great sightseeing today - Valletta looks beautiful. Good plan with tailgating the tour group. I like to hang about near tour guides too if I can, with one ear listening carefully. 😂