theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General Trip Reports (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Sights, Bites, Maltese Delights. Malta Oct 21. Day 8. Yes Please Dining Japanese (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1207762)

WileyCoyote 7 Nov 21 11:49 AM

Sights, Bites, Maltese Delights. Malta Oct 21. Day 8. Yes Please Dining Japanese

Wednesday 6 October

We were up late today and greeted with an empty breakfast area

After straying from the hot buffet yesterday, I was back on familiar ground today.

I had also now added cake each morning , usually having it a bit later while out reading my book :D

Andy’s breakfast looked completely unappealing but he assured me it was nice

Is it me - does it not look very brown and overcooked ?

It was windy today .. the pool area was very quiet

That water was like an ice bath :omg:

Onto a new book :thumbs-up

The purple flag was out today - indicating risk of water pests .. I decide to see what these might be ..

Hmmm bearded fireworms :erm: Further proof for me that venturing beyond ankle depth in open water is too fraught with risks :pgig::nonono:

It continued to be very quiet

I used the poolside app to order a Sex on the Beach as Andy flat out refused to go and ask for it :pgig::pgig:

It got a bit chilly so we headed up to our room and watched a bit of Ridiculous on MTV. Think uncensored You’ve Been Framed :erm:. ...

We decided to head back to Valletta for dinner, having snagged a booking at AKI, a Japanese place that looked very nice.

On the way there, I was fascinated by this wild trailing cacti

Look at those clouds ..

The Phoenicia hotel at the city gate looks fab. Not sure on the location tho ..

We browsed some stores and had a wander round

They were very strict here on numbers in the store and mask wearing.

Never far from Disney ..

I hadn’t realised the other day these were all different styles of lampshades

We had time to look more closely at some of the old buildings

I loved the old balconies

I think this looks like some sort of catalogue shot :pgig:

We did a loop of the two main streets - lots more outdoor dining had been set out for the evening

I couldn’t quite see the detail on the church at the end of this street

We stopped here for drink. I had a Cotswold’s wildflower gin

Very disappointed again that this place, despite looking open, wasn’t. Appaz they wouldn’t open until 6.30 on the dot and we were too early

And this one :cry:

Both carefully researched but the advertised opening hours not quite matching reality

Disappointed, we pitched up early at AKI.

Well, first impressions here certainly did not disappoint!

What a fab place. You ordered as you went along and the food arrived at various times from different stations. We were seated by the sushi station and it was fascinating watching the preparation.

But first .. cocktails :D

I went for the kawaii bubble

Arrives like this

Then

Then

It was gorgeous :tongue:

First up, spicy beef bao buns

Nice.. maybe a tad stodgy

Then shredded pork mini tacos

Very nice

Followed by Chicken skewers and spicy anticucho sauce - this was delicious

Then prawn gyozas

And finally a beef and prawn sushi roll

The wasabi sauce was eye watering :erm:

Wow. It had been amazing. So many different flavours and textures. Fantastic. We were completely impressed.

Dessert menu was slightly odd though

I fancied the creme brûlée

It did look disturbingly like frog spawn vomit but was in fact very nice :pgig:

The bill was very good value - all that food and still cheaper than that steak place ..

Bellies very full and very happy we wandered through the streets - all beautifully lit up

I must have 50 snaps of this walkway with each change of colour :nonono::pgig:

We found the local taxi rank and discovered it was 5 euros cheaper than the hotel car. You paid at the little booth and handed a voucher to the driver. All very good and we were soon back. It had certainly been an unexpectedly excellent day :d:

kateh134 7 Nov 21 01:07 PM

Your cocktail looked amazing!

princessnicki 8 Nov 21 11:58 AM

Omg yes to all of that Japanese restaurant, food looks delicious, that cocktail is immense (and the whole menu looks very reasonably priced!) Lovely food day

MarionG 8 Nov 21 03:44 PM

Love the look of that cocktail! :D

smithlane 12 Nov 21 10:59 PM

Andy's breakfast definitely looks overcooked apart from his sausages that look a bit pale, surely should be the other way around :pgig:

That info of the sea critters is a bit :omg:. I'm not sure I would step foot in the sea again if they had that next to the beach :confused2

I love that lampshade alley, what a creative idea!

I'm so pleased you had a fantastic meal, it looked delicious and still cheaper! Let's pretend that was the birthday meal :D
10 out of 10 on that cocktail too, although what is yuzu?

Goldia 13 Nov 21 10:03 AM

The narrow streets with the lampshades are pretty cool aren't they? I really liked that photo you took. Dinner looked so tasty and the cocktail was a real treat.

WileyCoyote 14 Nov 21 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kateh134 (Post 15203863)
Your cocktail looked amazing!

It was :tongue::D

Quote:

Originally Posted by princessnicki (Post 15204977)
Omg yes to all of that Japanese restaurant, food looks delicious, that cocktail is immense (and the whole menu looks very reasonably priced!) Lovely food day

Such a super meal. We loved it :tongue:

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarionG (Post 15205284)
Love the look of that cocktail! :D

It was pretty fab ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithlane (Post 15210607)
Andy's breakfast definitely looks overcooked apart from his sausages that look a bit pale, surely should be the other way around :pgig:

That info of the sea critters is a bit :omg:. I'm not sure I would step foot in the sea again if they had that next to the beach :confused2

I love that lampshade alley, what a creative idea!

I'm so pleased you had a fantastic meal, it looked delicious and still cheaper! Let's pretend that was the birthday meal :D
10 out of 10 on that cocktail too, although what is yuzu?

I remain unconvinced by buffet breakfasts. He loved them though.
Quite a few people did brave the sea on the green flag days. It must have been freezing though
Valletta was so pretty by night and that meal was fabulous. We had such a lovely time.

Yuzu is appaz a lemony citrus fruit .

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldia (Post 15210788)
The narrow streets with the lampshades are pretty cool aren't they? I really liked that photo you took. Dinner looked so tasty and the cocktail was a real treat.

It was so pretty .. all the side streets looked so lovely at night but that one was my fave.

jocat 21 Feb 22 03:26 PM

It seems I missed the last few days of this trippie so am catching up now.

Not sure I like the sound of the bearded fireworms either. 😬 Who knew there were such things? :confused2

Sounds like you had a lovely day. I love the lampshade street. Also love the look of that cocktail you had!