theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   10 year old killed by dog ( from a couple of days ago ) (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1208097)

buryboy 11 Nov 21 08:56 PM

10 year old killed by dog ( from a couple of days ago )

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-59237518

Really surprised this story hasn’t been the subject of a thread on here.
Another child has lost their life from an attack by a large dog who was a family pet .( edit - should add for clarity , the dog wasn’t the pet of the poor lad who died , but the pet of a friend of his )
We need to do something to properly stop such dangerous dogs being kept as pets .

Scotsmomma2 11 Nov 21 09:03 PM

It's tragic,that poor poor boy 😥

salmim 11 Nov 21 09:06 PM

A terrible tragedy.

Personally I believe there is just no need for these sort of dogs that are known to attack so ferociously.
They terrify me when I see them out and about and especially off lead, imagine being a child and seeing them.
I know there will be others that disagree and that it's the owners fault etc. It's a personal thought.
Maybe the need for a £1000 Licence for these breeds?

Anyway, I agree a terrible loss and I just can't imagine the families grief.

Rac20 11 Nov 21 09:06 PM

Can’t imagine the horror that poor boy endured. Absolutely heartbreaking. 💔

Moorlandman 11 Nov 21 09:08 PM

Absolutely awful and tragic for the boy and his family. I could barely watch the news report of this incident - it was just to tragic to take in.

I am guessing these types of dogs are not kept as pets and are usually connected with illegal activity

Mr Tom Morrow 11 Nov 21 09:08 PM

Not a million miles away from where I live. However what can you do? I’m not excusing what happened and it’s an absolute tragedy but I can’t see the answer sadly. We can’t ban all dogs and we can’t stigmatise each and every breed either.

For those that don’t know it was a child who went to his friends house and got attacked there. Not his own dog or even any of his family.

buryboy 11 Nov 21 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow (Post 15209239)
Not a million miles away from where I live. However what can you do? I’m not excusing what happened and it’s an absolute tragedy but I can’t see the answer sadly. We can’t ban all dogs and we can’t stigmatise each and every breed either.

For those that don’t know it was a child who went to his friends house and got attacked there. Not his own dog or even any of his family.

I will alter my opening post . I did know that , but should have made it clearer in the post that it wasn’t his own family’s pet.

I don’t know enough about large dogs to know what can be done . All I know is that it just seems odd that something often bred exactly BECAUSE of its strength and aggression should be able to be kept as a pet . Defies belief

Sew109 11 Nov 21 09:20 PM

All dogs should be licensed properly and there should be a not insignificant cost involved.

Mr Tom Morrow 11 Nov 21 09:20 PM

I know about the 4 banned breeds in the Uk but I have also seen News articles where a child has been savaged by a Fox in London that got in to his bedroom and a Toy Poodle that caused horrendous facial injuries. There are hundreds of examples like this

All we can do is adopt a common sense approach to our lives and take sensible precautions. Now to have a Tosa or a Fila is not only insane but illegal. However a friend of my late Dads got ambushed by 2 Chows and bore the scars and severed tendons all his life. Chows are normally fine.

Again I think all we can do is be sensible, Instil the need for training for owners and pets and always be watchful.

Licensing. Who will Police it? What will it achieve?

Edit. My rear garden a few years ago. Woke up to a fox dining. I tried to shoo it off and it was facing me down!

inky1 11 Nov 21 09:25 PM

Apparently the dog was only bought by the family 10 days ago
The 19 year old that sold it went voluntarily to the police .
Heart breaking story .