theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   The Special 1st trip for our girls April16 -Day 0- Travel day (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=955893)

chazb 20 May 16 04:01 PM

The Special 1st trip for our girls April16 -Day 0- Travel day

Travel day 26/04/16

I apologise in advance for the lack of photos today. This was a long and tiring day and I'm also petrified of flying so I didn't really think about taking many photos. I'll also be honest and say that this day did make me question whether some people were right about taking the girls at this age and whether we should have waited till they were older, but as soon as we arrived at the hotel I knew we were right in our decision.

I had quite a restless night, waking up every hour, but the girls and adam slept well. I was up at 6 and woke up feeling excited but also really sick. As I mentioned above I really hate flying and do get myself in a state, to the point I'm normally sick, but since having the girls I have tried to not show to them how nervous I am. I tend to just sit quietly and adam and my parents know that I can be quite snappy so tend to leave me alone. Sorry completely gone off track...

So up and straight in the shower to wash and straighten my hair. I used the hotels hairdryer which was really good. Adam helped get the girls get ready and then took them downstairs to grab a coffee (adam not the girls) and some fresh air so I could finish packing up the room.

Outfit Selfie

My mum rang me at 7.15 to say they had just arrived at the South terminal and were going to grab a coffee and I'd send her a text when we were on our way over. I met adam and the girls downstairs in the restaurant for breakfast. The choice for breakfast here was really good and all looked clean and fresh. There was continental and cooked breakfast. The girls chose to have coco pops and chocolate muffins. When phoebe was choosing her breakfast I could first see the look of confusion then delight that she was actually allowed chocolate at breakfast. Adam and I had the cooked breakfast, it was really nice but I couldn't eat too much. There was plenty of room in the restaurant and only about 7 other families in there at this time.

Fry up

Coco pops

I can't believe I'm allowed chocolate at breakfast

Back up to the room to grab the suitcases and left the room just after 8.30. Quick walk to the monorail and a quick journey over to the south terminal. Met up with my mum and dad at 09.15 and went over to bag drop which was really quiet. Checked in really quickly. We were not asked how many hand luggage bags we had and also were not asked to weigh them. Straight up to security, where we were ushered through the family line and again all went quickly and smoothly. At this point Darcey became really moany and just wasn't happy. I'm sure it was the late night, early morning and that it was all new things happening but she didn't really settle until after she had a nap on the plane.

Snack and magazines bought we waited until our gate came up at 10.50 and we made our way over to the gate which was quite a walk away. My mum had to have a full body search and bag check when we went through, which happens everytime. They pretty much started boarding straight away and my dad and Adam were really happy when we were shown upstairs. We had rows 78 and 79 in the bubble and were really nice. The flight took off at around 12.15 and just as we started making our way to the runway it started to snow.

Phoebe excited

The flight itself was really good actually and I didn't feel too bad once we were in the air. The flight attendants were really good and fab with the girls. Darcey still wasn't happy and wanted to watch the tele but didn't want any headphones on and was moaning about this. I chose the meatballs for my lunch and really enjoyed it. The girls food wasn't great and they didn't eat but did snack on the crisps and chocolate we bought them. After lunch the girls did have a sleep Darcey for about 3 hours and phoebe for a hour and luckily Darcey woke up a lot happier from her nap. I also realised that Larajp fellow dibber was sitting behind me, so we had a good chat for a while. Tea was served about an hour before landing and I had the chicken bacon ceaser wrap which I thought was lovely. I can't really comment on the entertainment on the plane as I sat and looked at the plane map for the whole flight, making sure we were still flying at a high enough altitude (I know I'm crazy) but adam said the choice of films were good.

When we started to come down it was quite bumpy and Phoebe said she had a tummy ache. Once she landed she said she felt OK but wanted grandad to carry her off. We were let off really quickly and were one of the 1st off the plane at around 16.25. Me adam and Darcey were just in front of the others and literally as we stepped off the plane Phoebe started screaming and was sick all over my dad, herself and the plane. As we were already off the plane they wouldn't let us back on, for security reasons, so we couldn't get back on to comfort our little girl. Adam as you can imagine wasn't too happy about this. Luckily she had my mum and dad with her. My mum said an amazing air hostess grabbed them and took them in the toilet and cleaned them all up and then let them off the plane having giving both my dad and phoebe a virgin pyjama top to wear. Phoebe came off the plane all happy and over the moon she was wearing this top, that looked like a dress on her. I felt like a terrible parent as I hadn't been there when she was unwell, had forgot to pack any spare clothes for her and had let her eat rubbish all day, I had a little cry, but she was not bothered and you live and learn.

So finally able to enter the immigration hall and into madness. It was so busy and we were gutted as when we got there we literally saw all the people in the bubble talking to immigration officers and going through to collect their bags. We now had an hour wait which wasn't great but the girls behaved so well and I was just glad we had finally made it. Through immigration and all our bags were already out and we managed to get all the bags up without doing 2nd bag drop. Then onto the monorail and down to the longest corridor ever to the magical express. We had all had enough by this point and were quite crabby with each other and phoebe was moaning that her tummy hurt again.

So excited to finally be here

Seeing the magical express was the best thing ever and we were loaded on and left quite quickly we us being the 2nd stop. I left my dad, adam and the girls outside when we arrived at Saratoga springs at 19.00 and me and mum went to check in. I had requested a room in the grandstand and that's what we got so was happy. Went out to bell services and picked up our garden grocer order and our double buggy. Me and mum took a couple of suitcases and walked to the room and the others came on the golf buggy. Our room was AMAZING! It was huge and so lovely, we were so pleased with it. The girls kept getting lost for the first couple of days as it was so big.
The room we had was 8610 a 2 bedroom villa. It was a perfect location. 5 minute walk to carriage house. 30 second walk to the pool and a 5 minute walk the other way to the bus stop and a 7 minute walk to the boats that took us to Disney springs.

Adam and my dad kept the girls occupied while me and my mum unpacked. We did this really quickly and the there was so much closet space. Me and adam shared a room with the girls while my mum and dad had the master bedroom and we would swap round after a week.

Phoebe wearing her virgin pyjama top

At around 21.00 we wandered over to Artist's palette to grab our refillable mugs and something to eat. We ordered 5 counter service meals. As Darcey was not on the dip at CS places we ordered adult meals and they shared them. Also as we had our refillable mugs we swapped our drinks for snacks which we had no problem doing, and bought most of these home and kept in our fridge to snack on. The food was nice and cooked fresh and bought over to our table but we were very tired by this point.
The food we had was
Me - Turkey club wrap with chips (crisps) $10.49
Mum - Turkey club wrap $10.49
Dad - cheeseburger flatbread $10.99
Adam - pepperoni flatbread $9.59
Girls- chicken nuggets with chips $10.29
Total with tax $55.22 or 5CS credits used 65 left

We all grabbed another drink and went back to the room. Girls straight into bed, while I got clothes out for the next day and got our park bag ready. The last thing I did before going to bed was to leave the presents out for the girls that we would say Tinkerbell got them.

Reading this back, travel day wasn't actually as bad as I felt at the time. Although the girls were moany at times, they were not actually naughty or horrible. I did feel bad about Phoebe being sick but these things happen and we actually now think she suffers from travel sickness. Arriving at the amazing hotel defiantly helped lift all our spirits and got us that Disney feeling back. Thanks for reading x

smithlane 20 May 16 05:08 PM

What an eventful travel day, poor Pheobe being sick. Your girls sound like they were real troopers, it's such a long day! Glad you arrived safely

collybird 20 May 16 07:54 PM

Travel day is tough, I don't enjoy it, I get snappy like you because I'm anxious about the flight plus I get travel sick, and even when I'm not feeling ill I get anxious about getting ill! I can't even imagine how much worse it is when you're travelling with kids, but your girls were so well behaved - it's hard for them to process that they are trapped on the plane for all that time.

We're staying in a 2-bed at SSR this year, I can't decide which location I want to request. I'm leaning towards close to Disney Springs but I worry that everyone requests that now and we'll never get it! We'll have a hire car so being close to a bus stop isn't a big deal, also not fussed about pools.

Guest 20 May 16 08:25 PM

Thanks for posting - I think you all did pretty well, considering!

Love the bit about your daughter and the chocolate...I can still remember the first time my son realised that there were different "food rules" on holiday! :)

nosunshine 20 May 16 09:46 PM

Awww bless it is difficult with young children but as a mummy you always will find something to feel guilty over!
Sounds like a great start to me :-)

Sandieb 21 May 16 01:22 PM

I think you did brilliantly to manage your flying fears in front of the girls, who are adorable by the way.
Put it behind you now and look forward to hearing lots about the girls enjoying the magic of Disney.

smythy21 21 May 16 01:38 PM

great start..lookin forward to the rest as we will be bringing our DD who will be nearly 3 when we go sept 2017

chazb 21 May 16 02:45 PM

Ahh thank you and thanks for reading x

chazb 21 May 16 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithlane (Post 11624435)
What an eventful travel day, poor Pheobe being sick. Your girls sound like they were real troopers, it's such a long day! Glad you arrived safely

Yeah it was a really long travel day. Thank you for reading x

chazb 21 May 16 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by collybird (Post 11624866)
Travel day is tough, I don't enjoy it, I get snappy like you because I'm anxious about the flight plus I get travel sick, and even when I'm not feeling ill I get anxious about getting ill! I can't even imagine how much worse it is when you're travelling with kids, but your girls were so well behaved - it's hard for them to process that they are trapped on the plane for all that time.

We're staying in a 2-bed at SSR this year, I can't decide which location I want to request. I'm leaning towards close to Disney Springs but I worry that everyone requests that now and we'll never get it! We'll have a hire car so being close to a bus stop isn't a big deal, also not fussed about pools.

It's horrible being afraid of flying and not really being able to do much about it. I loved the grandstand but congress park by Disney springs did look nice especially if you get a room with a Disney springs view. It would be about a 5 minute walk to Disney springs and a 10-15 min walk to carriage house if you stayed there. We even walked back from Disney springs to grandstand a few times. X