theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Forget Brexit, Fireman Sam is not wanted! (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1145241)

vowels 11 Sep 19 03:00 PM

Forget Brexit, Fireman Sam is not wanted!

Lovely story on the BBC.

Lincolnshire Fire Brigade have a problem recruiting female members and feel it is because Fireman Sam is not a diverse enough mascot.

They say that there is research that states children form ideas of their chosen career at four or five and having Sam as their mascot is discouraging girls from dreaming of being a firefighter.

Surely you must read this article and think, they need to get a grip.

My three loved Fireman Sam, they all had firefighter costumes and all had visits to the fire station. All loved it when the fire engine was brought to nursery and school for visits.

My girls preferred Sam because they both wanted to drive Jupiter. My son, Penny because she drove the rescue boat. And all loved Naughty Norman Price.

So, the important question of the day, is Fireman Sam still relevant?(the answer should be yes)

2littleboys 11 Sep 19 03:02 PM

Saw this on the Breakfast news this morning and couldn’t believe what I was seeing!

The world has gone mad! I despair for the world I’m bringing my children up in!

MariaLynda 11 Sep 19 03:02 PM

I agree, saw this earlier... completely ridiculous... i'm guessing the new mascot will have no gender, just to be fully inclusive!

Princess Alison 11 Sep 19 03:05 PM

From the BBC website :

Chief fire officer Les Britzman said Fireman Sam would be replaced with fire extinguisher-shaped mascots called Freddy, Filbert and Penelope.

! ?!

vowels 11 Sep 19 03:12 PM

Can you imagine how many children's ambition will be fire extinguisher?

KevinCosmos 11 Sep 19 03:18 PM

I fully support inclusivity and agree that it should've been renamed "Firefighter Sam", but this is just taking political correctness to a whole new level IMO.

Minnie18 11 Sep 19 03:26 PM

Utterly bonkers! I am all for the term Firefighter but surely parents/guardians have a role in teaching children that all genders or non gender persons can have any career they choose.

When I was little I loved button moon but never did I think... oh I can't go to the moon becouse I am not a spoon.

EssexSue 11 Sep 19 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnie18 (Post 14066626)
Utterly bonkers! I am all for the term Firefighter but surely parents/guardians have a role in teaching children that all genders or non gender persons can have any career they choose.

When I was little I loved button moon but never did I think... oh I can't go to the moon becouse I am not a spoon.

That made me laugh!

MariaLynda 11 Sep 19 03:49 PM

loved button moon... we're off to button moon..

Minnie18 11 Sep 19 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EssexSue (Post 14066653)
That made me laugh!

DH said the other night I would make a fab MP 😉