theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Weddings and Honeymoons (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   just need a bit of reassurance... (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=782169)

charlie_fame 31 Mar 14 09:36 AM

just need a bit of reassurance...

I went to one of these wedding dress outlet places yesterday with my bridesmaids just to try on a few styles to see what I really want, It was a bit of a disaster! Im a curvy girl, a size 14-16 and im ok with it (Im trying to loose a bit of weight for the wedding) but when I got there the girl who was helping me try on said go up one to two dress sizes. ok so that would make me about an 18 in wedding dress size... err not a chance! I tried on 4 size 18 dresses, they wouldn't even go over my head! then size 20 they wouldn't fasten , then size 22 was too big up top and too tight around my middle! it was ment to be an enjoyable experience but I was just holding back the tears . I don't really know what to do now! nothing fits! I feel really disheartened by the whole thing!

Guest 31 Mar 14 09:45 AM

I would suggest that you go to another store and try on lots of styles.
Try not to take any notice of the sizes on the labels as they really mean very little and no-one else will ever know what it says, just how gorgeous you look in it on the day.

I am a 14 and when i went to try bridesmaid dresses for a friends wedding the store ordered me in a size 22! It did upset me, so I know how you feel, but when i then went to choose my own wedding dress (at a different store) i was never told what size it was. It fit perfectly and I felt magical in it.

tnkrbell 31 Mar 14 11:25 AM

Wedding dresses are sized differently to every day dresses. Remember when you order it it will be taken in and suited to you. Don't get disheartened by sizes on the label

Hels80 31 Mar 14 11:52 AM

I was a size 16 when I got married- and my dress was a 20.

charlie_fame 31 Mar 14 12:03 PM

thanks ladies , it makes me feel a bit better that its not just me! all I want is a tea length pretty 1950s lace dress! ill carry on hunting :)

Guest 31 Mar 14 05:01 PM

I'm a 16-18 at the moment and my dress is a UK 24 - ignore the number, it doesn't matter as long as you feel amazing xx

Libby29 31 Mar 14 05:12 PM

I'm a size 14, when I got married , the woman in the bridal store told me I was getting fat & I'd put weight on from my previous fitting, I walked out in tears.. She asked who was giving me away & I told her my brother as my dad had passed away two years before, she repeatedly said your dad will be happy to walk you down the isle with that dress on, when you lose weight. I was so upset I didn't want to go back, however after speaking to the owner she apologised but still it upset me..
You will look lovely in your dress, just tell them you don't want to know the size & get the label cut off ... 😊

Thing1thing2 31 Mar 14 05:56 PM

It's just a number don't worry about it when you find the dress u love ur feel amazing! I've got a fifties dress for my wedding! It's a lou lou but it still needs altering I'm going to have it taken up shorter and a yellow petticoat.
When you find your dress and you can think about your accessories and how you want it to look your be so excited. Maybe try a different shop some of the sales assistants aren't very helpful. :)

kingofhonour 31 Mar 14 06:53 PM

DW here, ah sweetheart, I feel for you. This should be a lovely time for you and the girls. I didn't have a good experience in the 2 shops I tried but I did find my dress, however I now wish I had shopped around a bit more and tried on more dresses in different styles. Hang in there and as others have said, go to many different shops and try on many different styles, even styles that you have no interest in, you never know until you've seen yourself in them, just remember to keep the distance manageable as you way be returning for fittings. Remember the customer is king or queen in this case, do a Pretty Woman and ask if they are working on commission if they give you the wrong attitude!

charlie_fame 31 Mar 14 07:22 PM

Awwww I do genuinely appreciate the kind words! I'm being silly I know , and it's only the first shop I've tried , I think it doesn't help that I weigh the most I've ever weighed at the moment so I don't feel like myself! I'm usually very confident and outspoken , it's all very new this wedding dress business ha ha