theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   How much to give to child at Uni (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1039645)

scoobydooby 6 Aug 17 08:33 PM

How much to give to child at Uni

Anyone who funds a child (not their fees) at Uni. What's a reasonable monthly allowance? I will be paying for sons car insurance, mobile phone and contact lenses as I already do that. How much do they need to live? Oh, I'll be paying his halls fees as well. I've no idea what's needed really?

Maxymoo 6 Aug 17 08:42 PM

With my son I have paid the accomadation fees and he has taken a student loan for living expenses. Hall fees last yr were a shocking £750 a month sept to may! This yr he is sharing a house and including bills it is £450 a month but is for 12 months. I think he gets around £400 a month from his loan .this makes him quite rich compared to some of his friends but he hasn't had to ask for a penny for anything else so far! I think he could probably live on £50 a week but then I would have to buy books, train tickets home, clothes, mobile phone etc. Maybe I am to generous:D

scoobydooby 6 Aug 17 08:59 PM

Thanks Maxymoo. I've worked out his maintenance loan will only be £57 a week over a 52 week 'spread'. That's not going to be enough I don't think.

Guest 6 Aug 17 09:09 PM

We are in disagreement about this at the moment !
DH wants to give DD £100 a week I think that's too much. £75 would be plenty I think.

maudyhill 6 Aug 17 09:15 PM

My DD has just finished 3 years at uni.
She had a maintenance loan, which gave her about £30 per week. We would pay for train fair home, and when at home would take her back and do a big grocery shop.
Hubby would also give her some cash when she came home.
It wasn't until her final year that she got a job to help fund things.
I'm glad though we didn't over do it coz she is really good at budgeting now and manages to save.
When it comes to money she is quite savvy.

hermione25 6 Aug 17 09:19 PM

We topped up DDs maintenance loan to fully cover cost of accommodation then set up a direct debit for £30 a weeks from start of October to May.

She works part time for a well known sports retailer, who were able to transfer her to store near her uni during term time, so she was also earning money on top of that.

She had to come home and commute for the second year due to health issues, (the only upside was that she was entitled to a disabled train pass, so minimal travel expenses), and continued to work in the local store. Consequently we gave her no money.

Although her seizures are under control ATM, she's decided to commute for the last year too, so her student loan will cover fees and she'll live at home rent free again.

Maxymoo 6 Aug 17 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobydooby (Post 12736412)
Thanks Maxymoo. I've worked out his maintenance loan will only be £57 a week over a 52 week 'spread'. That's not going to be enough I don't think.

Yes his loan is only during term time so oct to may but he has been working over the summer holidays to fund these months and saving for some extras.

scoobydooby 6 Aug 17 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxymoo (Post 12736550)
Yes his loan is only during term time so oct to may but he has been working over the summer holidays to fund these months and saving for some extras.

My son earns £250 a month and will be driving home every week to keep this job as it's on a Sunday and he will only be a 60 minute drive away. That will be his money for clothes and going out and the like. So that puts him up to about £107 a week with his accommodation, phone, car insurance and contact lenses also paid for. I'm thinking I'll fill his car up with petrol every week and give him £50 for food a week. Does that sound okay? I'm so confused about this.

BevS97 6 Aug 17 09:50 PM

Are those on £30/week in catered halls? Dd will be in a self catering hall so will need to buy food.
I was thinking at least £50/week but I really don't know.

FSnug 6 Aug 17 09:54 PM

We set up £50 per week direct debit last year when DS stared uni. It covered his food and bits but he is not a drinker or party animal so is not typical!