theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Theme Parks Florida (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   Lining up for rides with a year old non walking baby. (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1115029)

CarolynU 2 Feb 19 01:00 PM

Lining up for rides with a year old non walking baby.

In the days of no quiet times at WDW now and with time between reserved FP's to use up how do people cope with long lines and a heavy non walking almost year old to carry whilst queuing?
My daughter and family want to take a trip with their three year old and their baby who will be one, and me!
My son in law is not a Disney fan and not exactly a robust or positive person. My daughter is the total opposite and adores Disney and has wonderful childhood memories.
We had a bit of a tricky Disneyland Paris trip in 2017 because my son in law disliked the intensity of the experience when they only had their little girl who was walking and talking, but my daughter and I loved it.
Now later on this year my daughter wants to attempt Florida! You can't take the buggy in the lines, the son in law claims that a sling front or back hurts him, and the baby won't be walking, and will be heavy. Rider swap doesn't apply.
Have I missed a solution to this? We all tiptoe around my son in law a bit to stop him becoming grumpy, and he definitely wants to come on the trip despite finding Disney boring and stressful!

ely3857 2 Feb 19 01:22 PM

He needs to try alternative slings! However, when someone doesn’t want to do something they’ll always find fault with it. Good luck.

Lissa_x 2 Feb 19 03:03 PM

Can your daughter not wear the sling instead? If you get the right sling it won't be uncomfortable. I wear my 8 month old daily and his 2.5 year old sister on days out etc. We are taking them both to Florida in August when they'll be almost 3 and 15 months and plan on wearing one child each in the queues x

CarolynU 2 Feb 19 05:59 PM

Could you give me some ideas of which ones are comfortable please? They have one that looks a bit like a backpack at the moment and that is the one my son in law complains about.

MENTALMUM 2 Feb 19 07:38 PM

My daughter took her sling for my granddaughter when she was 15mths old, we all took turns carrying her. You could try your local sling library, ask your health visitor if you have a local one, you can try them out and rent them for the time you need one, makes it a bit easier on the pocket.
However, having said this I would be leaving hubby behind if he isn't going to enjoy himself. I stopped taking my hubby a couple of years ago as he doesn't really enjoy Disney and he has 'done Florida'. He goes to Switzerland instead and I enjoy Disney with my adult children and Granddaughter. Good luck with your planning x

Licoricelover 2 Feb 19 08:39 PM

My daughter and partner travelled with 9 month twins in September.
They took Boba lightweight baby carriers on the plane for use at MCO (bought secondhand, they folded into a small pouch and were invaluable). Took them in the parks but never used them.

BevS97 2 Feb 19 08:45 PM

When my dd was a baby we used a cloth sling. It was ideal for queues. And if the baby can’t walk I’d say it was essential.
There are loads to choose from. Sometimes you can find a place to try a few option. Maybe at a baby group or the NCt?

Lissa_x 2 Feb 19 09:13 PM

I use a solar connecta, very lightweight and made a specific material that's super light weight for hotter weather. You can use them to front or back carry. I would definitely try and get to a sling library though as you can try before you buy then as slings are very personal, what suits one person doesn't suit the next. X

Reddevil99 2 Feb 19 10:04 PM

Following with interest as our son will be 11 months when we go and this hadn't occurred to me but sounds like a great idea!

CarolynU 2 Feb 19 10:33 PM

Goodness DIBBERS what fantastic info. A sling library! Now thats something we have never heard of!
I must say that after Paris I was a bit wary of booking this holiday, but my daughter did speak to my son in law and explicitly say that if he is going to be miserable about the whole experience then it would be much better not to come, but he is adamant that he wants to as he feels that their daughter would find it strange if he wasn't there. I'm not sure that she would to be honest because he flatly refuses to come on any Disney cruises. Anyway it's his choice. As we will be staying on Disney property if he gets fed up he can go back to the room and read or something, and maybe rejoin us later.