theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Trip Planning Florida (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Virgin Reward / Companion Question (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1180442)

Jakey Neverland 19 Sep 20 04:16 PM

Virgin Reward / Companion Question

I cannot get through to anyone via the phone for Virgin so thought I would ask here. I am hoping to book 6 reward flights for next year. We have enough miles for the flights and I also have an earned companion flight.

I will need to book flights one way to hopefully secure them but how can I use the companion flight. I had planned to book via telephone as I think that is what I would need to do, but the likelihood is the flights would go by the time I get to speak to someone to book. It is my first time trying to do this and feeling like I am going to struggle.

loola30 19 Sep 20 04:24 PM

You can use the companion flight for a one-way flight. I currently have 2 x one-way flights and used last year's companion voucher on the outgoing and this year's companion voucher on the incoming. So you 'pay' your miles for 2 x flights and get 2 x flights 'free' of miles (unless it's upper class, then you get 2 for 50% miles). You will need to call and book though to used the voucher - you can't do that online I'm afraid.

SnowWhite 19 Sep 20 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakey Neverland (Post 14652195)
I cannot get through to anyone via the phone for Virgin so thought I would ask here. I am hoping to book 6 reward flights for next year. We have enough miles for the flights and I also have an earned companion flight.

I will need to book flights one way to hopefully secure them but how can I use the companion flight. I had planned to book via telephone as I think that is what I would need to do, but the likelihood is the flights would go by the time I get to speak to someone to book. It is my first time trying to do this and feeling like I am going to struggle.

Good luck, do let us know how you get on as we're in the same boat, not used our companion seat yet and planning a trip for August 21 :)

Jakey Neverland 20 Sep 20 06:21 AM

Thank you, sounds like it is going to be very tricky to use them.

mike4scuba 20 Sep 20 07:27 AM

They are open 24 hours at the flying club so maybe worth calling as soon as your flights are released
6am maybe

Not sure if you can book the outward as soon as it's released then book the return when that's released

If you wait 2 or 3 weeks until the return is available the outward may have increased in price, become unavailable or the seats you wanted have gone.

Not sure how this affects the cost of booking the flights separately maybe someone who has done this method could reply

loola30 20 Sep 20 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike4scuba (Post 14652658)
They are open 24 hours at the flying club so maybe worth calling as soon as your flights are released
6am maybe

Not sure if you can book the outward as soon as it's released then book the return when that's released

If you wait 2 or 3 weeks until the return is available the outward may have increased in price, become unavailable or the seats you wanted have gone.

Not sure how this affects the cost of booking the flights separately maybe someone who has done this method could reply

I actually asked this question last night on here and yes, it does appear that they will let you amend the outgoing single reward flight to a return once that leg becomes available. Technically it should incur a £30pp admin fee but they may be waiving that at the moment. I'm about to try to do it in a couple of days time, so I will report back with my experience too.

mike4scuba 20 Sep 20 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loola30 (Post 14652828)
I actually asked this question last night on here and yes, it does appear that they will let you amend the outgoing single reward flight to a return once that leg becomes available. Technically it should incur a £30pp admin fee but they may be waiving that at the moment. I'm about to try to do it in a couple of days time, so I will report back with my experience too.

Will be good to hear what happens.keep us posted

Jakey Neverland 23 Sep 20 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loola30 (Post 14652828)

Is it your return flight you are booking?

loola30 23 Sep 20 07:10 PM

I called today asking if they can turn a single leg into a return. After much back and forth she said yes, they could, but as I could only use one companion voucher on a return, I opted to keep them as singles. I’ve sorted the outbound today and will call in 2 weeks to sort the return (fingers crossed there are reward seats! ).

eaglesrest 24 Sep 20 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike4scuba (Post 14652658)
6am maybe

Are they back open to 24 hours now? They were operating from 07:00 GMT when I called a couple of weeks back.

I need to call next week and Im going to try and use 2 x companions against UC return.