theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Additional Support Needs & DAS (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Deaf at the airport (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1230589)

Jodielee22 14 Jul 22 03:38 PM

Deaf at the airport

Due to fly next week and wondered if anyone had any experience.

I was born with sensoneural hearing loss and generally muddle through life quite okay with a combination of lip reading and the bit I can hear and looking to husband and daughter if I’ve missed something. I am unable to wear hearing aids and they didn’t give out BSL for free to those not in deaf specific schools back in my school days!

Most recent occasions experiences of airport security have found me in a position where I’ve been pulled for extra checks for not doing the right thing, this is usually because they’re barking instructions into the open air at you and I just miss it having been separated from family🤣 also concerned about staff members wearing masks and such and getting pulled for extra security checks, this wouldn’t be an issue in a quiet airport or without face coverings but I’m actually dreading it!

Has anyone ever worn a lanyard or informed your carrier in advance? Any tips appreciated!

storm 14 Jul 22 03:59 PM

If comfortable with wearing a lanyard do so & inform your airline. You can also have cards which say I have an invisible disability and show them every time you need to.
Speak out & tell them what you need don't be shy. Hearing aid users should turn their aids to make use of the telecoil induction system & hope the have actually got a working system ( pity my local pharmacy fail to have theirs on 99% of the time).

Bootrip2 14 Jul 22 05:32 PM

My friend who is hard of hearing has a badge she used to wear at start of mask wearing saying that please be patient as difficulty hearing, perhaps you could get something similar, I think she got it from Amazon

duchy 14 Jul 22 05:41 PM

One of my friends is deaf and has experienced similar difficulties.
We travelled together recently and as I couldn’t walk as far as airports need at that time we had airport assistance.
It opened up a conversation that she could book airport assistance who would help her through security . She was thrilled as she had always assumed it was only for those with mobility issues

Trouble3 14 Jul 22 05:49 PM

Being hard of hearing, with masks, is a pain in the butt. :o:
Sunflower lanyards are easy to get and I've found more people do know about them now, esp at airports. :thumbs-up

gismo1554 15 Jul 22 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jodielee22 (Post 15539291)
Due to fly next week and wondered if anyone had any experience.

I was born with sensoneural hearing loss and generally muddle through life quite okay with a combination of lip reading and the bit I can hear and looking to husband and daughter if I’ve missed something. I am unable to wear hearing aids and they didn’t give out BSL for free to those not in deaf specific schools back in my school days!

Most recent occasions experiences of airport security have found me in a position where I’ve been pulled for extra checks for not doing the right thing, this is usually because they’re barking instructions into the open air at you and I just miss it having been separated from family🤣 also concerned about staff members wearing masks and such and getting pulled for extra security checks, this wouldn’t be an issue in a quiet airport or without face coverings but I’m actually dreading it!

Has anyone ever worn a lanyard or informed your carrier in advance? Any tips appreciated!

100% use the lanyard but its probably also worth contacting assistance at the airport as they will be able to help as well. I'm blind but actually have some vision. I can get around the airport fine but when it comes to thinks like the security lane I struggle because I can't work out where I'm meant to stand etc. The lanyard and assistance have both been great for me. With assistance they have provided me someone to walk with me to security and then direct me through the fast track lane to help with the queuing issues. Its really worth discussing with them. Def inform your airline in advance as they will also help out.

I know its really easy to say but try not to worry. If you are anything like me the more you worry the worse it will be as it will make it harder for you to concentrate on things. Although mine is visual not hearing, I find if I'm stressed I'm much more likely to miss something and that makes it then 10 times harder. Assistance are there to help you and they will.

Mrs_Potts 15 Jul 22 11:45 AM

My mum is extremely hard of hearing and wears 2 hearing aids and she wears a sunflower lanyard at the airport and normally they put her through a special assistance security lane which is normally a lot less manic!

Gill H 15 Jul 22 12:54 PM

I have no personal experience of booking assistance for someone who is deaf, but my Dad has 2 hearing aids and still misses 90% of what iis said to him because the carers have to wear masks. So I can understand how stressful the airport would be.

I have booked special assistance for my parents before on trains and planes, but for mobility. In those cases the service was superb. I would definitely recommend booking it for your needs. I’m sure you won’t be the first.

signtalker 19 Jul 22 10:14 AM

My husband is profoundly deaf, we are bsl users , and he also lip reads to a certain extent , has hearing aids in both ears. We notify the airline every time we are travelling , as you are entitled to pre requested seating on the plane for free , and have a companion with you for communication needs/ safety .
At the airport I go in front of my husband and notify the person, that he is deaf , and no amount of shouting at him is going to work , the amount of times I’ve been told to move back when I’ve been trying to communicate what they have been saying is ridiculous !
Even with a lanyard they still don’t get it , I sometimes have to be very vocal , but then , I’ve had years of practise !

If you need any help just ask

Jules

Jessika 5 Aug 22 08:54 PM

I have no hearing at all in my right ear and the airport experience of security is something I absolutely dread! I usually always get pulled for extra checks and have experienced some very rude staff members. I always hope that I can get a seat with my left ear facing the aisle as had no idea that you could pre request a seat. I’m due to fly in a couple of weeks and think I will contact the airline to ask if when they allocate my seat they do so with my hearing side to the aisle.