theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Another first car suggestions please (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1082240)

soooexcited! 27 May 18 02:29 PM

Another first car suggestions please

DD is sitting here looking at an old second hand car to buy. Any tips on makes models and insurance companies please. She knows she will have to have a device fitted pref not limiting night time driving as she works late. She has a very small budget around £1000 for a first car. She's looking at a punto and nearly died when the insurance was 3 times the value of the car. Welcome to the world of young driving. She will be 19 in August and she's putting me and another family member as named drivers. Any tips please.

danisleigh 27 May 18 02:31 PM

We are looking at a Kia picanto for DS when he turns 17 this summer. It’s a 1litre and the insurance is around £1000 with a black box. He is getting a car of higher value, I think this brings the insurance down slightly.

daytonababe 27 May 18 02:44 PM

Shop around ring up for quotes as well as online

My daughter had a 1.2 fiesta for her first car it cost about £1100 to insure with a black box from direct line , her friends punto was about £1500

Post codes make a lot of difference though as does occupation , putting down your a student or a bar worker for example will make insurance higher than a apprentice teaching assistant .

Megandllsmum 27 May 18 02:53 PM

My eldest daughter is 19 and her car is a Toyota aygo? Think that's right, its got a small engine either 1.0 or 1. 1. Her insurance was just over £1400 but that's without a black box, I think her insurance was with Hastings.

eeyoremad 27 May 18 02:56 PM

My daughter has a Citroen saxo and the insurance was expensive but no black box. I think it was provident or Hastings but not sure as hubby dealt with it

Megandllsmum 27 May 18 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danisleigh (Post 13275274)
We are looking at a Kia picanto for DS when he turns 17 this summer. It’s a 1litre and the instigate is around £1000 with a black box. He is getting a car of higher value, I think this brings the insurance down slightly.

My daughter was looking at one of these originally cos they have a really good Warrenty, better than the one on the car she has now but she saw that and then set her heart on it

danisleigh 27 May 18 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megandllsmum (Post 13275315)
My daughter was looking at one of these originally cos they have a really good Warrenty, better than the one on the car she has now but she saw that and then set her heart on it

Yes we are looking at a 3-4 year old one and I think they come with a 7 year warranty. We are looking at the SR7 which looks a bit sportier but still a 1 litre engine. What did your daughter get in the end?

pingpong 27 May 18 03:09 PM

My daughter has a VW UP, and insured with go girl. I had my doubts as they were the cheapest and didn’t want to fit a box - but when a lorry hit her they were great - organising a courtesy car ( for a 17 year old) and although it wasn’t sorted by time for renewal they gave her the years no claims anyway. The UP held up well in the crash too!

Megandllsmum 27 May 18 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danisleigh (Post 13275328)
Yes we are looking at a 3-4 year old one and I think they come with a 7 year warranty. We are looking at the SR7 which looks a bit sportier but still a 1 litre engine. What did your daughter get in the end?

Just been to look cos it's on the drive it's a Toyota Aygo. Hers is quite sporty looking its orange with black roof so nice and easy to find when she picks me up from work lol.
For a while she was set on a kia but when she saw this one she loved it lol

danisleigh 27 May 18 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megandllsmum (Post 13275345)
Just been to look cos it's on the drive it's a Toyota Aygo. Hers is quite sporty looking its orange with black roof so nice and easy to find when she picks me up from work lol.
For a while she was set on a kia but when she saw this one she loved it lol

We have looked at those too but my mum has one and I think DS doesn’t want the same car as his grandma! Your daughters sounds nice though, my mums is just a bog standard grey one!