theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   So who is working at Xmas and why? (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1108990)

Guest 6 Dec 18 11:53 AM

So who is working at Xmas and why?

I am working parts of Xmas day and boxing day. I work for a cat rehoming charity and the little furballs still need their pens cleaned and feeding so its no rest for me! Honestly if you get a chance to volunteer or work in this sector give it a try - its very rewarding (not financially ha ha!).

ally1966 6 Dec 18 12:00 PM

I work in a 24hr petrol station which will be open all over Christmas. This year I’ve been lucky enough to get 3 days off for Christmas. Last year I worked a night shift, 10pm on Christmas Eve till 6am Christmas morning, then had to come home and cook Christmas dinner for 15.

Unexpectedpenny 6 Dec 18 12:10 PM

I’m a carer (for people in their own homes) and obviously they’ll still need care! I love it though so I don’t mind working Christmas :)

I would love your job too. Spending Christmas with cats sounds good to me!

bighal 6 Dec 18 12:13 PM

I'm working Boxing day.
As to why... People want to go on holiday..

Powlay 6 Dec 18 12:14 PM

Christmas eve, christmas day, boxing day, new years eve, new years day. Working them all.

Wife and I run a sports and social centre. Think phoenix nights crosses shameless.

Stitch & Smudge 6 Dec 18 12:17 PM

Me. Nightshift in a petrochemical plant. Eighth year of Christmas on the trott. Nightshift slightly better than dayshift as at least I can have dinner with everyone else. But it pays for the holidays.

PoohBears#1fan 6 Dec 18 12:18 PM

Christmas eve and the 27th. We're an ambulatory department in a hospital so we close on the actual bank holidays, but work around them.

dreamadream 6 Dec 18 12:26 PM

Christmas night and Boxing Day night, midwife, so no option as bir5 can’t wait lol.
I actually don’t mind, we are bringing it all forward a day with Christmas dinner on the eve, presents on the day, bubble and squeak buffet with meats and cheeses on Christmas Day and then bed for a few hours.
Working it has a number of benefits;
Who doesn’t want to be there to greet a Christmas baby?
Extra money for holiday :)
As much as I love having family over, it’s nice to use it as an excuse to be just us 4 for once, much more chilled

Mr Tom Morrow 6 Dec 18 12:27 PM

I no longer work at Xmas, or indeed anytime of year. Retirement is great.

However. I never saw the 2 children open a Xmas present for at least 8 years. Also I was always working mornings, afternoons or nights. That went on for 32 years.

In the latter part of my career I could have dumped the issue in my Deputy's lap but he had young children so I always gave him the time off.

Tough financial times back then and the money was a godsend.:):) Paid the gas bill and the car insurance in February.

JudgeJ26 6 Dec 18 12:30 PM

I work in a care home and as a community carer and at the moment I have been rostered in to work both Christmas night and Boxing night.