theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Child’s school attendance (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1137386)

vampiress88 18 Jul 19 12:42 PM

Child’s school attendance

How would I work out attendance?

I have booked to go away again and the new school had different holiday to the old an things have gone wrong so now they will be out of school 17 days rather than the 12 we originally thought.

Husband is worrying now and we have thought about changing it to two weeks but it wouldn’t be any cheaper but would get changed £200 to amend so lose lose.

ClaireNJ 18 Jul 19 12:47 PM

Tell the school you didn’t know they were different holiday dates maybe,;) but 17 days is a lot to miss though:cry:

novocastrian 18 Jul 19 12:51 PM

not sure what you mean by "work out attendance" ?

17 days is a lot of school thats over 3 weeks ?

Jaspercat10 18 Jul 19 12:58 PM

I think attendance is worked out on one school day being 2 sessions

Posiesmum 18 Jul 19 12:58 PM

If you mean work out their attendance % I doubt it matters. 17 days missed school is a lot and I suspect you’d be fined irrespective of past attendance. What time of year is it?

Disneycraft 18 Jul 19 12:59 PM

That’s an awful lot of school to miss for a holiday .i would reconsider and I doubt they’d let you have that long off anyway

Mel49 18 Jul 19 01:01 PM

It's really something you will need to discuss with the school as different councils vary as to how they enforce the rules. 17 days off school will definitely take them below the average 95% attendance and would estimate that would take them under 90% which in our area whether for illness or holidays you will be summoned to the school to discuss matters or have a visit from a "truancy" officer. Also in England you will be fined too.

I know your kids are at primary school but how old are your kids and will it mean they miss the start of term or the end (where maybe less actual work) ? I'd be inclined to discuss it with their teachers/head teacher first and then decide on the best way forward.

Also this thread may be closed as discussing taking kids of school is a very emotive subject. Personally I have taken my DD (12) off for a week in January and will be taking her out for the week before October holidays this year and took them all out on a few occasions while at Primary School.

Jakey Neverland 18 Jul 19 01:02 PM

If your trying to work it out for the fines, its more than 10 sessions get a fine. 10 sessions equate to 5 days.

I am not sure how to work out the % for the year but for an example my dd is on 98% she has had 3 days sick over the school year. So I would say your attendance maybe less than 90%.

Eccle 18 Jul 19 01:19 PM

I believe there are 38 weeks of school, with 5 days a week and two sessions a day this is 380. If you miss 34 sessions, this would put attendance at 91% before any time off for illness.

mason1 18 Jul 19 01:22 PM

Just to give an example of attendance, this academic year my son had 364 sessions that made up the school year (2 sessions per day).

By being out of school for 17 days, that would be 34 sessions missed, which by my calculations means their attendance would reduce by 9.34% for the holiday. The maximum attendance they could achieve for the year would be 90.66%, assuming no other absence.