theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   DIBB Reporter Photo Trip Reports (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=215)
-   -   Scottishnellies Redundancy Trip Jun18. Day 14, Volcano Bay, Pool Time, Rolling Oaks Olive Garden (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1087662)

scottishnellie 2 Jul 18 03:34 AM

Scottishnellies Redundancy Trip Jun18. Day 14, Volcano Bay, Pool Time, Rolling Oaks Olive Garden

Today's forecast was for sun in the morning and rain in the afternoon. And today was the last day we could use our Universal tickets. Yes folks, we are two thirds of the way through this holiday already. Going way too fast!

So we decided to aim for volcano bay for 9am opening. We only wanted to do the rollercoaster ride, have a go on the lazy river then we definitely wanted thrown around that fearless river again 😂.

Since we only planned to go for a few hours and not many rides we decided not to hire a locker. So we just took the coolbag rucksack with water and Diet Coke

And enough cash for dippin dots and maybe a snack if someone got hungry. No kindles, no phones, no cameras. So no photos. I am shamelessly cheating and adding some internet pics!

We left the villa at 8am, arrived at the universal parking garages at 8:35. Oh that's right - parking. Doh! Forgot about the $22 parking charge didn't I? Dafty. So used most of my dippin dots money then raided the toll tray in the car to top my purse back up!

We went through security before getting the shuttle coach. All bags went through the scanners. There was a guy in front who had this massive coolbag with built in wheels which didn't fit, so he was told he would have to take out what food and drinks he wanted into their beach bags and put the cooler back in his car. He was not happy, but this thing was huge. If anyone remembers the wheeled coolbag I used in my trippie in 2015, that would have gone through the scanner no problem (wheel frame would have gone through separately)
to give you an idea of the size you could get away with. Flashback photo...

Onto the coach, straight to VB and walked to the main entrance. Tickets scanned, Tapu Tapu bands issued and off to find beds. It was exactly 9am and although plenty of beds all the ones under umbrellas were gone - presumably taken by the on-site guests during 8-9 early opening. Got 3 beds, laid our towels and walked round to Krakatau, expecting that we might already need to get a return time.

We were waived through and only had to queue about 7mins. We love this! It's an insane feeling when the magnets drag the coaster up the hills again.

Off and Hannah and I went to have a toorey round the lazy river. This one is your standard lazy river with rings, and has an area you float under the volcano which is lit up quite pretty.

the boys went to do this thing - don't know it's name. Something scary that throws you right up the sides anyway. They love that kind of thing.

then we had arranged to find each other at the fearless river. When Hannah and I got there the boys were already hurtling around it so Hannah and I got our life vests and went in to join them. When I looked at Kieran I nearly died. He was wearing a lifevest FAR too big for him and sure enough he was soon swept under by a big wave, come up only to get dragged under again and came back up spluttering and choking. I was raging at Kevin who of course just said ^thats the one he put on^. Aaarrghh! Yes - but you're the adult Kevin - you're suppose to supervise 😡. I dragged him out at the next exit, swapped his adult large for a youth, and back in we went.

You HAVE to wear a lifevest in this river, there are no floaty rings for this torrent, no siree. And you need to get one that fits as tight as possible. Don't be all coy getting a large size. Or before you know it your lifevest will be up round your ears and you will be snorting chlorine til your eyes bleed.

Finally not at risk of coming home minus one child, we did have a great time in here again. Once we had been round 5 times I bowed out to sit at the side. You really do get thrashed about! The others kept going round and round and round. In all we spent almost 90 minutes here! Hannah would have stayed in it all day. She loves it.

Kieran came out first and wanted to go to the wave pool so I took him back to our beds there. I lay and enjoyed the sun while kieran dived about in the waves in front of me.

Hannah and Kevin came back later, both exhausted and flopped into their beds for a doze.

I got dippin dots for kieran and I (Hannah didn't want any) and we just enjoyed the atmosphere. I do like it here. It beats Aquatica and blizzard beach but I think Typhoon Lagoon still pips it for me. The fearless river is a really good rival to the Typhoon Lagoon wave pool though.

We left at 1:30 and back to the villa for lunch (rolls with chicken or tuna) then the forecasted rain never transpired so we got to sit out all afternoon by the pool.

Fabulous! 😎 it's so lovely and quiet here with nobody overlooking you at the pool. Bliss!

We spent a brilliantly lazy afternoon dozing in the sun, playing in the pool and watching the wildlife. Ahhhhhhh 😊

Decided to go to Olive Garden at Rolling Oaks for dinner. Hannah spent about 4 hours getting ready trying all her new makeup and clothes.

Left at 6:30 and stopped off in a couple of the shops before dinner. In TJ Maxx I bought a pretty wee summer dress

Then in Ross, Dress For Less I bought a pair of Guess heels in the elusive size 11

and a whole bunch of t- shirts for kieran.

Incidentally, I saw 3 of the exact same Calvin Klein dresses that Roz & Ali were selling for $59 in here for $39 so worth checking here first. I didn't buy any as they would be work dresses. No use to a soon to be unemployed bird like me 😢

Over to Olive Garden where we waited 20mins for a table.

Not bad when they give you half price wine while you wait

Each main comes with either an unlimited soup or salad, and those gorgeous bread sticks that Hannah hadn't stopped talking about all afternoon

So Hannah had salad

We each had soup (of which Kevin had 3 bowls just coz it's unlimited

Then Kevin had Steak Gorgonzola Alfredo

Kieran had lasagne

Hannah had chicken carbonara which looked nothing like carbonara as I know it but she thought was delicious

And I had salmon piccanta - very tasty

Of course after all the breadsticks, soup and salad we barely made a dent. So Kevin and Hannahs have come home in boxes.

I also had a coupon for a free dessert for my upcoming birthday so I took a tiramisu to go. This might be breakfast with my coffee tomorrow!

Such a lot of food!

I am now off to join the boys in the spa with my wine repoured into a plastic glass. Classy bird!

Night all

app 2 Jul 18 03:52 AM

New Photo Added by scottishnellie - 2 Jul 18 3:52 AM.

sheluk 2 Jul 18 06:46 AM

Another fab day - volcano bay sounds much more geared towards adults and older kids? Sounds like you all had a fab time & a lovely relaxed afternoon.

Half price wine whilst you wait! I bet most people hope there is a wait if that’s the case :)

kellwall 2 Jul 18 07:01 AM

Awesome reports 👐👏😁

mick 2 Jul 18 09:04 AM

Another great day :spin: glad the rain kept away

Joan:wave:

Gryff 2 Jul 18 09:15 AM

An other good day glad you got your shoes

Jules32 2 Jul 18 11:52 AM

Great report, love reading these at work ( shh) every morning with my coffee
can I just ask where you got the cooler backpack from I'm looking for a decent one.

scottishnellie 2 Jul 18 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jules32 (Post 13341278)
Great report, love reading these at work ( shh) every morning with my coffee
can I just ask where you got the cooler backpack from I'm looking for a decent one.

It’s from decathlon and it really is brilliant. We got it in 2016 and have used it the last 3 years and also use it at home sometimes. Kevin researched loads of them as he wanted one that kept things cool the longest, and had a separate section at the top for crisps etc so not TOO cool. The two sections stay different temps depending what’s in them - it’s great. And it’s comfortable to wear. They still have them in stock I think

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/arpenaz-...d_8245769.html

This shows you what it can hold

Rob & Jan 2 Jul 18 02:17 PM

Another great day and tiramisu for breakfast tomorrow (is that today?)

Fuellady 2 Jul 18 06:31 PM

Volcano Bay looks so much fun, the fearless river sounds awesome (with the proper equipment!)

Lovely afternoon chilling by the pool. Good bargains at Ross Dress for Less. I normally avoid it because I have in my head that it's like TK Maxx, which I hate because you have to rake about to find good stuff. Maybe it's not like that though?

Ah, Olive Garden. Always so good but far too much food. It all looks yummy.