theDIBB (
-   DIBB Reporter Photo Trip Reports (
-   -   A Southern Adventure August 19th and 20th 2018 Day 12 and 13 (

pretty71 21 Aug 18 10:01 AM

A Southern Adventure August 19th and 20th 2018 Day 12 and 13

19th and 20th August 2018 Day 12 and 13

So I had a good nights sleep up until about 3am where I woke up and from then on started dreaming about trying to catch our connection to Manchester!

That aside, I got out of bed at about 6.20am and decided to have a quick bath and finish everything I needed to do in the bathroom so I could pack those last bits and pieces. The other 2 got up and Grace went to find Nanny and Grandad and Daddy helped me get ready. There were no dramas and we had a dispatch time of 8 but actually left at 7.45am. This meant that we arrived at Bob Evans a little earlier than planned and were sat at our usual table with our usual server. We have been to this restaurant 3 times now each of the 3 years we have been coming over this side and we have always had the above :)

I didn't know what to order, these menu's are just so big!
Eventually I got there and even though I can't remember the name of what I had it was 2 eggs, 2 sausage patties and home fries and then it also came with a stack of pancakes! I managed all of it but left a third of the pancakes. We all had coffee and Grace had a kids pancake with a sausage link, she loved this! We were all very much satisfied and ready for our long drive round to Miami.
We were in the car for 9 and our first stop would be the Miami International Mall to collect our rings. We had an email on Thursday to say they were ready so hopefully there would a no dramas when we actually got there.

We made it until we reach just past the Fort Myers airport before I heard the voice from the back saying that they needed the toilet! We were near an exit so I got off and we were soon in a 7 eleven. It was good to stretch our legs if only for 5 minutes. We got a couple of bottles of water too as we realised we had come out with none! School boy error!

We were back on the road and had 2 hours to go, with an estimated arrival time of 12.15. We did encounter some rain on Alligator Alley, again! This time it was pretty torrential at one point, definitely the worst of the holiday but luckily it didn't last that long. This part of the road is a little boring to say the least but the miles soon past and we were heading to the outskirts of Miami. I was not looking forward to driving in Miami again but I have to say the time of arrival got closer and closer but still the road was fairly easy and do you know before we knew it we had arrived :)

Daddy, Grace and I went in to the centre through JC Penneys again and visited the restroom first then went out to Kay's to collect the jewellery. It took her a few minutes to find it but it was there and I am very glad to say that it was absolutely perfect! All 4 of them look brand spanking new and I was a very very happy lady!

We resisted the temptation to go elsewhere and went out to find Nanny and Grandad, we literally tagged them and they went in to find the restroom. We drove the car around the parking lot so keep cool and they were soon back with us, without getting lost this time!

We had to get some more petrol so we punched that in to our sat nav and found one just over the road. It would have to do, we were 5 miles from the airport apparently but that would have to be close enough. Daddy went in and handed over $40. I filled her up to the brim, it took ages and we were just below $40, so a good guess.

We were then heading for the airport. We were close but there were roadworks and I got off one to early I think so we had a bit of a nightmare finding our way (burning unnecessary fuel!) but I didn't panic and we got there in the end soon pulling in to the Rental Centre. This was no where near as frantic as Orlando and we could get everything out at our leisure and stacked on a cart. The lady came and did the business and handed over our receipt with no extra charges.

We made our way in to find the people mover and were soon straight in the terminal. Here sadly we had to part from Nanny and Grandad as they were in section E with BA and we were heading to J and Lufthansa. We said our goodbyes and would speak tomorrow when we got to Manchester.

We went down a floor to find the check in desk it was still more than 3 hours until our flight and I was a little concerned that the desk would not be open but it was and I have to say it was very busy in this section but luckily not in Lufthansa's part. I ran in to a news shop to get a couple of TSA locks as one of ours had gone missing on the way here, so we treated ourselves. The girl even set them for us which was great so I didn't have to faff around with them. I popped them on and then we went to the desk, there was no queue and there was a really nice girl who called us over, she was really friendly and very smiley, probably the best experience we have had at a check in desk! Our cases came in at 16kg each, I was well happy with this. We had got everything we wanted but not weighed down too much. We were all checked in and ready to go. The lady told us the line we had to join for security and said it was long but moving quickly because there was a do on duty and the best thing about this was we didn't have to take anything out of our bags or take our shoes off! It was fab and the dog was cute, a German Shepherd, he was being a bit naughty as we saw him getting told off twice!

We decided to head for the food court first as Grace wanted food, it was 2 o clock now and we decided to get her a happy meal in McDonald's. Daddy queued up and we found a table, it took ages to get served and the seating was pretty poor I have to say. We had one table but then managed to find another one and we moved quickly. Daddy had got us both a cheese burger too as well as the happy meal and I was grateful for this as I felt hungry... goodness knows why after all the breakfast...I had done all that driving I suppose, hungry work :)

I sat for a while and the other two went off to get sweets and when they came back daddy got me my first beer of the holiday a Bud Light from the bar and look at the price of it! $10.46! For one beer! If I remember right I had my first beer at the airport on the way home last year too, I really must do it earlier and save some money lol. Daddy couldn't believe the price and went on about it for ages, he has even kept the receipt himself!

I drank the beer and then we decided it was time to visit the restrooms and make it round to the gate, I was gone 3 by now and so we vacated our table so someone else could have it.

We also popped in to the duty free shop but didn't buy anything else. We slowly made our way round and arrived at the gate for 3.55, so an hour before take off. I was not impressed to see that there was no seating at the gate, it was very poor and seeing as we had to stand we got in the queue for the flight. Normally I would not queue at the gate but to be honest there was not really any other option. There were about 6 people in front of us and it was very organised and they were saying boarding would begin at 4.15, which it did. We were soon on the plane getting sorted. It is an 8.5 her flight to Frankfurt and so we have half an hour in the bank which we used waiting to get on the runway. There had been some lightening around and rain but it was easing and we were on our way at 5.35.

The flight was just as fantastic as the flight out, we soon had a drinks service so we had a glass of wine each. This time the kids meals were available and Grace's arrived before everything else, she was of course asleep by now (she always sleeps more or less straight away!) so Daddy got excited and had the chicken tenders from it! It's came with mash and sweet corn (his worst nightmare), he said it was really really good. There was also a bag of sweets a jam sandwich with strawberries and the usual cheese and crackers and a chocolate brownie, very impressive :)

Our meals soon came out, the choice was the usual chicken or pasta, I didn't ask what the pasta was exactly as we both went for chicken. This was chicken pieces in a mushroom sauce and rice with some carrots (I don't like carrots!). It was delicious! Really really good and was washed down nicely with another glass of wine. We also has a salad with dressing (the dressing was lovely!) a roll, cheese and biscuits and the chocolate brownie.
Tea and coffee came round after and then we decided to join Grace and try and get some rest. This worked surprisingly well as I woke up with 2 hours to go! The flight was 8.5 altogether over to Frankfurt and they soon turned the lights on and woke everyone up for breakfast.
Again Grace's came first, hers was pancakes and syrup! She was still asleep though and refuses to eat plane food anyway now, what a waste! There was also a blueberry muffin, I am not sure what happened to that but I have a pretty good idea!

Grace's kids meal :)

Ours was scrambled egg and some lovely little breakfast potatoes a roll and butter, it was absolutely delicious and so nice to get a hot breakfast again on a plane. We had also had another couple of rounds of hot towels, lovely!

We were all on time which helped me to be less anxious of our next connection to Manchester. We landed on time at 8am and it didn't take us too long to get on the stand and the door open. We had told Grace she would need to be a bit with it as we had another plane to get and as always she just kicks in to gear. To be fair she had had quite a lot of sleep and she had woken up OK. We landed on the Z side of the airport and I knew from the Lufthansa app that we were still going from gate B47. We followed all the signs to zone B, some areas in the airport were really busy and I have to say it was a mission, we walked and walked and walked for ages, it was a long way and if you do this and are not fast I think you would need to consider it. We were fine though and made it to the security line which was quiet, some others we had seen were heaving!

This scanner was different from the ones on the way out this was a round one where you put your arms up and it goes round you. Daddy went first and completely abandoned Grace and I to finish putting our bags through? Grace went next and the guy was great with her and even had a mini conversation with her which for Grace is ground breaking! I was next and we were soon through and all our bags collected. We were in zone B now but I wanted to make sure there was nothing else to do so we went right down to the gate. It's was 8.50 when we got there and I can't believe we had made it only 50 minutes after landing! Fantastic! We now had a little wait so we visited the restrooms and were not due to board until 9.35 but his was delayed slightly until 9.50. We were soon on and right at the back of the plane and Grace went straight to sleep...again! I had a little doze while we were taxi-ing and I am not sure exactly what time we pushed back but the flight was only 1 hr 20 m and we landed a little before 11am in Manchester. We had a coffee and a sandwich on board. Now the sandwiches were strange as they were on German rye bread (I really like it but Mick was a little "what's this bread? ") the choice was beef or cheese. The beef was pastrami and egg, it sounds really odd but it was delicious, Mick had this and got one for Grace so he could have two! He loved it though and I had a bite, it was good! I had the cheese one it came with like a pickle spread which tasted a bit like sandwich spread lol, it was good though and hit the spot as food is the only thing that keeps you going doesn't it on travel days.

We were quickly off the plane, even though we were now in no rush at all. The boarder control line, seemed long and what I noticed was everyone was packed in tight, all that space we had been enjoying over the last couple of weeks was gone! It did go quickly I have to say and as we were let through we could see our cases already on the carousel. We actually got out of the airport within 35 minutes.

We went back over to the meet and greet, there was no queue and a lovely lady handed my the car key and told me it was in red zone B. This was after she asked my name and I could barely remember!

No problem with the car, we put the double bit down in the car this time as we now had that extra case but it all went in without a problem. We decided to go and get Grace a happy meal before trying to get in our room at the Premier Inn so we did and that she ate it in the car.

We had booked the Premier Inn at Heald Green again for tonight with the aim of getting some sleep before we began the 4 hour drive back to home. We had many a debate about what would be the best thing to do and felt it would be silly and dangerous to do such a drive after all that travel. We had the same problem now that we had on the way up and that was that it is early and you cannot get in to the room until 2pm! Mick went in to ask them and even though there were no rooms ready yet they were hopeful it wouldn't be long. So we went to the Beefeater next door and gave them just over an hour before checking again. We decided to go for it and have a glass of house wine now, as we would not have one later so we went for it. We chatted about our trip next year and what we were thinking of doing while the time went by.

Waiting in the Beefeater

we got in the room just before 1.30 and all had showers and piled in to bed and slept fairly well I have to say until 5pm...perfect. We arranged to meet my friend Sean again for dinner for 6.30pm, we decided to not travel but just have dinner in the Beefeater, so we went and got a table and waited for him to arrive. We had a fairly good meal and caught up altogether again. It was lovely to see him. We said our goodbyes and went round to get our luggage from the room and pack the car up again. We were driving by 8.30pm, I drove first as I was still feeling slightly jaded and we had sort of agreed we would do 2 hours each. I wanted to go home the way we came up along the A50 and then join the M1 again, which I managed despite the sat nav wanting to take me straight down the M6...I just couldn't face Birmingham!

We stopped at Leicester services at about 10.15 and swapped over. We had a great run, though there were lots of roadworks with a 50 limit but we didn't get stopped in them we kept rolling which was great and we reversed back on the drive at 12.50am. Phew!

It is now the next morning and we slept solidly, funny enough! I forced myself out of bed at 8am and got Grace out at 9am, it's cruel but has to be done to get back to any kind of normality! daddy is still in bed as he is working tonight so has no jet lag to deal with!

All in all a fantastic trip, great hotels and villa as always, fab weather and a great airline choice for £400's to the next one and thanks so much for reading, those of you who have stuck with us, hope you enjoyed it as much as we have. Xx

app 21 Aug 18 10:07 AM

New Photo Added by pretty71 - 21 Aug 18 10:07 AM.

mick 21 Aug 18 08:42 PM

Good journey home :spin:

Thank you for taking the time to do your trippie I have really enjoyed reading along

Joan :wave:

Mortimer Mouse 22 Aug 18 08:31 AM

I've really enjoyed reading along with your trip. Lufthansa sounds great and after your report, I'll defo consider them in the future.

Thanks for posting.

pretty71 22 Aug 18 08:27 PM


Originally Posted by mick (Post 13442487)
Good journey home :spin:

Thank you for taking the time to do your trippie I have really enjoyed reading along

Joan :wave:

Thanks Joan and thanks for reading along glad you enjoyed it :)

pretty71 22 Aug 18 08:29 PM


Originally Posted by Mortimer Mouse (Post 13443124)
I've really enjoyed reading along with your trip. Lufthansa sounds great and after your report, I'll defo consider them in the future.

Thanks for posting.

Glad you enjoyed it and thanks for sticking with it. You won't be disappointed with Lufthansa...I hope their prices are as good for next year:grin:

OB1LukeLucas 24 Aug 18 02:08 PM

Thanks for sharing your trip. Your journey home was hassle free, Iím definitely going to add Lufthansa to my search for flights in the future.

sandshal 9 Sep 18 09:46 PM

Thanks for taking the time to post your trippie, I've just read it over the last couple of days, fabulous read.

Time to start planning the next.

Sharon xx

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:55 PM.

Powered by vBulletin - Copyright © 2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.