theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General Trip Planning (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   Koh Samui (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1080942)

myvot 18 May 18 02:06 PM

Koh Samui

Has anyone been here. I'm planning my first time visit to Bangkok and then Koh Samui next August. Looking for any hotel or area recommendations. Having done some research it seems Chewang is a popular place to visit.

Any thoughts on the place would be appreciated.

Alices Aunt 25 May 18 04:59 PM

Hi bumping this for you. I’ve been but it was a long time ago. We stayed first at chewang and it is beautiful but I suspect very busy. We stayed in a beach hut but walked through some of the hotels and they were beautiful. I then stayed at big Buddha beach which was nice yet quite. I think that will have changed.

I’m thinking g of going back so hoping someone comes by soon with more recent experience.

simbamad 30 May 18 03:26 PM

We are planning on going next year too (July ) and we too are looking at a few days in Bangkok and then Koh Samui. At the moment weve got our eye on poppies resort for Koh Samui.
Im glad I've found this post as I'm so confused with it all at the moment and hope someone out there can help us out.

Omega1 31 May 18 11:50 AM

Many years ago we tried to book the Imperial Boat House Hotel on Cheong Mon beach but it was fully booked. Since then we have been to Koh Samui twice on cruise ships and been to the Imperial Boat House both times with a day pass. We had a tour of the hotel and the rooms looked lovely. The sandy beach is clean, quiet and shelves gently into the water. There are some bars and restaurants down the beach but nothing rowdy and no high rise buildings. I had a full Thai massage in the beach for £4.

twinklebelle 1 Jun 18 07:50 PM

I'll be stopping there on a cruise for a day in Oct. Don't really know a lot about the place either so would be interested to know what would be the best thing to do with a limited amount of time...after I've been to the hard rock café to pick up a pin! (that's where my research for trips always starts...do they have a hard rock there?)

Omega1 1 Jun 18 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinklebelle (Post 13285285)
I'll be stopping there on a cruise for a day in Oct. Don't really know a lot about the place either so would be interested to know what would be the best thing to do with a limited amount of time...after I've been to the hard rock café to pick up a pin! (that's where my research for trips always starts...do they have a hard rock there?)

As I posted above, we’ve had some great beach days from a cruise ship at the Imperial Boat House - but I have just found out they are closed for renovations March 2018 to April 2019.:(

christybell 1 Jun 18 09:55 PM

We are going for the first time in 30 days time! We originally booked Imperial Boathouse then we received an email advising they would be closing for re-furb. I have now booked PS Thana in the same resort- just along the beach, I have booked direct and communication has been great. They even sent pics of the rooms.

I am a bit apprehensive as its out my comfort zone, but hey..its a big world and I want to see it

For me personally Chewang seems too busy and lively. Hence the reason we chose Cheong Mon

twinklebelle 1 Jun 18 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omega1 (Post 13285305)
As I posted above, we’ve had some great beach days from a cruise ship at the Imperial Boat House - but I have just found out they are closed for renovations March 2018 to April 2019.:(

Awwhh that's a shame, that would have been a good plan for the day, it's our last shore day before the end of the cruise in Singapore so would like to do something nice to round the trip off.

Quote:

Originally Posted by christybell (Post 13285513)
We are going for the first time in 30 days time! We originally booked Imperial Boathouse then we received an email advising they would be closing for re-furb. I have now booked PS Thana in the same resort- just along the beach, I have booked direct and communication has been great. They even sent pics of the rooms.

I am a bit apprehensive as its out my comfort zone, but hey..its a big world and I want to see it

For me personally Chewang seems too busy and lively. Hence the reason we chose Cheong Mon

I get what you mean by going out of your comfort zone. I feel the same way with my trip, but there is a big world out there and I need to see more of it than just the same part of Florida again. Plus I'll get a quick Disney fix in Tokyo to keep me going.

Omega1 2 Jun 18 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinklebelle (Post 13285697)
Awwhh that's a shame, that would have been a good plan for the day, it's our last shore day before the end of the cruise in Singapore so would like to do something nice to round the trip off.

We tendered into Koh Samui and joined up with two other couples to share a taxi to the Imperial Boat House. One couple didn’t want to pay the £10pp fee (which included towels, WiFi, loungers on the beach and by the pool, lunch and a drink) and went a short distance down the beach and used the loungers at a small beach bar, which were free if you bought a drink. We got the same taxi back to the ship (we didn’t pay until back at the pier). Getting a taxi to Cheong Mon beach would be fine.

Dcool 2 Jun 18 10:57 AM

Hi we've been to Koh Samui a few times, love it, actually we got married there as well.
Chaweng is busier with more hotels, restaurants etc, but we prefer the East Coast between Chaweng and Lamai .
It is easy to get around as the island is small