theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Car Hire & Transportation (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=226)
-   -   Modifying Alamo Brits Booking (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1129204)

GDog30 18 May 19 03:33 PM

Modifying Alamo Brits Booking

Hi everyone, I had a Premium car booked for July through Alamo Brits, and after seeing on here that there had been a price drop I went on to check. Saw a really good price on a Standard SUV (which would suit us better), so tried to change booking. Got right to the last page then said it was unable to change my booking, but that no payment had been taken.

The payment is showing as pending on my credit card but the booking hasn’t changed. So I’m assuming the charge will never actually go through. I was just wondering if anyone else had had any issues changing their bookings through Alamo Brits?

chmurf 19 May 19 01:22 AM

you can''t really amend an alamo brits booking.

what it does, when you try to change, is make a new booking, take full payment for the new booking, and then refund the total amount of the previous booking.

it should be seamless (obviously it wasn't in your case) but be aware that "amending" an alamo brits booking will result in the full charge hitting your CC. Depending on billing cycles, you may get the refund before, at the same time or after the new charge hits.

so there are basically 2 ways to change a brits booking
- try and modify the reservation
- make a new reservation yourself, and cancel the previous one once the new one is confirmed

but it will have the same outcome, as far as CC charges go.

if you can't change your reservation on the site, go the rebook then cancel way. (make new booking BEFORE cancelling the previous one, just in case the new one doesn't go through for whatever reason) but in any event, "amending" a brits booking requires you to have available funds on your CC, for the full amount of the rental.

99plums 19 May 19 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chmurf (Post 13852713)
you can''t really amend an alamo brits booking.

what it does, when you try to change, is make a new booking, take full payment for the new booking, and then refund the total amount of the previous booking.

it should be seamless (obviously it wasn't in your case) but be aware that "amending" an alamo brits booking will result in the full charge hitting your CC. Depending on billing cycles, you may get the refund before, at the same time or after the new charge hits.

so there are basically 2 ways to change a brits booking
- try and modify the reservation
- make a new reservation yourself, and cancel the previous one once the new one is confirmed

but it will have the same outcome, as far as CC charges go.

if you can't change your reservation on the site, go the rebook then cancel way. (make new booking BEFORE cancelling the previous one, just in case the new one doesn't go through for whatever reason) but in any event, "amending" a brits booking requires you to have available funds on your CC, for the full amount of the rental.

Very well put chmurf.👍

GDog30 19 May 19 09:44 AM

Thanks a lot for the reply, that’s really helpful!

I’ll see what happens with prices then maybe try again, I’m not too bothered either way as the car we’ve got booked would suit us fine anyway. Cheers!

Anfield Red 19 May 19 01:09 PM

I had an issue recently with amending a booking with Alamo Brits which i have done with no issues many times but like the OP i got to the end and got a message saying booking could not be amended but i found out it had taken the new amount from my credit card and my original booking number was no longer valid when i tried to see what had happened so after many phone calls to Alamo in the UK and USA i was getting no where and being fobbed off so emailed them and again took 4 emails before i got my money back on my CC (i had informed my CC company and they were also chasing it from their end) so just watch out that they don't take a new payment from your CC.

GDog30 19 May 19 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anfield Red (Post 13853543)
I had an issue recently with amending a booking with Alamo Brits which i have done with no issues many times but like the OP i got to the end and got a message saying booking could not be amended but i found out it had taken the new amount from my credit card and my original booking number was no longer valid when i tried to see what had happened so after many phone calls to Alamo in the UK and USA i was getting no where and being fobbed off so emailed them and again took 4 emails before i got my money back on my CC (i had informed my CC company and they were also chasing it from their end) so just watch out that they don't take a new payment from your CC.

That sounds like a nightmare! The charge for the "new" booking that didn't go through is showing as a pending payment on my credit card statement right now.

I phoned Alamo's UK customer service and explained the situation, and they said that the best thing to do just now was wait until their system had finished its processing (said it can take up to 5 days) and see if the charge actually goes through and then take it from there. The agent I spoke to assured me that if the charge did actually hit my credit card that they'd arrange a full refund if I called back.

Just checked the manage my booking page and my ref. number still works for looking up my original booking, so fingers crossed it stays that way!

Anfield Red 19 May 19 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GDog30 (Post 13853917)
That sounds like a nightmare! The charge for the "new" booking that didn't go through is showing as a pending payment on my credit card statement right now.

I phoned Alamo's UK customer service and explained the situation, and they said that the best thing to do just now was wait until their system had finished its processing (said it can take up to 5 days) and see if the charge actually goes through and then take it from there. The agent I spoke to assured me that if the charge did actually hit my credit card that they'd arrange a full refund if I called back.

Just checked the manage my booking page and my ref. number still works for looking up my original booking, so fingers crossed it stays that way!

You should be ok then as my original booking number i was trying to change was no longer found when i tried to see what had happened but have no faith in the UK phone support as they told me so many different stories and to wait 5 days for refund and also got me to ring the Alamo USA number who said as it was booked in the UK it is nothing to do with them so just keep a check on your CC.

jakesmum 19 May 19 07:13 PM

I had the same issue as Anfield Red twice. It took me numerous phone calls and emails to get the money reimbursed the first time as their system had no record of the payment being taken. The second one is still ongoing as they are insisting I wait the 10 working days it can take to be refunded before they look at it. I still have the direct email of the lady who eventually sorted the first problem out so I will email her when they 10 days are up if its still not back on my card.

Myakka17 19 May 19 07:24 PM

We did this last week, modified to a big type vehicle that was cheaper than original booking.
On my cc the refund was taken prior to the payment.

NTHYORKS 19 May 19 10:46 PM

Ive also had trouble with Brits booking. I saw chesper price a couple of months ago so logged in to amend. It came up with a message saying there was a connection issue with payment. I waited till the next day and tried again, however it took both payments. Nightmare with UK abd USA teams, nobody tsking responsibility, so had to put a clsim in through my credit card to sort it.