theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Treadmill in the winter or suck it up? (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1180501)

PoohBears#1fan 20 Sep 20 05:13 PM

Treadmill in the winter or suck it up?

Runners, walkers etc. do you carry on as normal in the winter or do you have a treadmill?

loola30 20 Sep 20 05:17 PM

Treadmill. I hate running as it is let alone running in the cold and rain :d:

ETA I'll still do the parkrun outside though. I do suck it up for that!

Bozza 20 Sep 20 05:21 PM

I run every day, or at least I have every day since January 31st (so 233 days and counting) and I go out in all weathers - hot or cold, dry or wet - and average 50 miles a week.

I always wear shorts, even when we're well below zero. The only concession I make to the coldest days is a Nike Pro compression top under my running shirt.

I also walk the dog 2-3 times a day, sometimes he runs with me) but I'll wrap up more for that if it's wet and/or cold!

sky13 20 Sep 20 05:26 PM

I lived in the UK for a few years (now live somewhere with no seasons), but never had a treadmill (wouldn't work with student accommodation!). I tried using treadmills in gyms, but making a trip to the gym to use the treadmill got to be a bit too much effort after a while since I had to cycle/drive to get to the gym.

So I just ended up running outdoors throughout the whole year including winter.

Layers were the key for me!

Top: base layer shirt, light running jacket, and a windproof outer layer. If I got too hot during the run I'd unzip or take off the outermost layer.
Bottom: shorts + tights, or a pair of windproof/waterproof trousers, or both depending on how cold it was!
Gloves +/- earmuffs depending how cold it is.

Usually I'd find that the first part of the run was very cold, but as I warmed up things would get better.

My limit for running was if there was snow on the ground - I tried doing this once, slipped everywhere, and decided not to ever run with snow on the ground again. Otherwise I was running outdoors throughout all of winter!

Big Belle 20 Sep 20 05:36 PM

I run in all weathers unless it is icy.

Floridatilly 20 Sep 20 06:04 PM

I prefer running in the winter! Its hard going in heat. The only time I would not run (i run daily) is if the ground is unsafe with ice/snow.
I actually love running in the rain! If its a nice gentle rain I feel like I am getting a facial! If its absolutely bouncing down I end up laughing at myself 🤣

Mazbar 20 Sep 20 06:07 PM

I walk about 5 miles with the dog every day no matter what the weather is I’ve been out in snow, ice 60mph winds. I just get on with it.

ClaireNJ 20 Sep 20 06:11 PM

Yep I’m with Big Belle I run twice a week & actually prefer it a bit cold as opposed to hot as soon as you start running you get warm anyway:blush:
For the record I only run on the treadmill if I absolutely have to like if it’s snowing or ice I’ll do it at the gym but hate it, as it’s so boring & I over heat indoors :cry:
I love running in a bit of rain too so fresh :wavey:

Button17 20 Sep 20 06:30 PM

Love running outside on beautiful winter mornings but last winter was mild. Wouldn't want to run in ice or snow. But DH is buying a running machine to go in our garden office when it's built in a few weeks so may go in there in rubbish weather.

I've only been running for q5 months but do love the outside which surprises me.

Its the heat that stops me more than the cold, but if it's too hot I just get up stupid o'clock to avoid the heat.

mason1 20 Sep 20 08:41 PM

I bought a treadmill in lockdown and have been doing C25K. I’m not comfortable doing it outside, so the treadmill works really well for me. It does take up a decent amount of space though.