theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   What To Do With Unwanted Curtains? (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1158061)

Mr Tom Morrow 17 Jan 20 07:25 PM

What To Do With Unwanted Curtains?

We are replacing some of our 'made to measure' pencil pleat curtains.

In their day they cost quite a bit but we no longer want that style.

What can we do with them as it appears most charity shops aren't interested.:erm:

The condition is pretty good with little fading on the linings plus they are not some god awful pattern.

Any ideas please?

scoobydooby 17 Jan 20 07:27 PM

Advertise them in a free Facebook local shop page. I mean an online type selling page.

Tinkerbell 1 17 Jan 20 07:29 PM

DH keeps them for dust sheets!

Gabsnoot 17 Jan 20 07:32 PM

Hi, I run sewing classes for a mental health charity where we upcycle things that have been donated like old curtains. There might be a similar project in your area you could maybe donate them :)

vowels 17 Jan 20 07:33 PM

Ask your local schools and nurseries if they have a use for them. They might be repurposed for costumes for a school play or used in an outdoor classroom.

My children's nursery had a story room - nice big wooden shed - decorated with old curtains and cushions donated by parents and grandparents.

Mr Tom Morrow 17 Jan 20 07:38 PM

Some good ideas so far thank you.

As an ex Tradesman I have loads of dust sheets so don't need them for that. Plus although I currently have a skip on the drive I am loathe to just sling them.

meboo 17 Jan 20 07:41 PM

At worst rag bag for charities, they get to weigh in. Women’s refuges tend to need this kind of thing. If they don’t go on eBay you could try freecycle

Pumpkin Pie 17 Jan 20 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabsnoot (Post 14245899)
Hi, I run sewing classes for a mental health charity where we upcycle things that have been donated like old curtains. There might be a similar project in your area you could maybe donate them :)

I belong to a sewing group and we have just started to be involved in making cushions, quilts etc. for young people leaving care homes and starting out on their own. Might be something similar in Tom’s area. Could get lots of cushion covers from curtains.

Island mamma 17 Jan 20 07:44 PM

Any local charities that help homeless people with starter kit when allocated accommodation? I know there are organisations in some cities that take secondhand furniture, bedding and household basics for kitting out homes for a start.
Or try Freecycle or an equivalent

Feebee2 17 Jan 20 07:46 PM

I had a big throw out before Christmas. The better stuff went to the charity shop. Other stuff went in the big charity bins at our local recycling centre.
At least when they go for sorting they can decide if they're any good.