theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   New York and Orlando (Live-ish) Food Report (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=987749)

LozSteelers 8 Oct 16 06:08 PM

New York and Orlando (Live-ish) Food Report

So I decided to make an effort and do a proper food report this year.

We were supposed to be spending 4 nights in New York and 8 nights in Orlando but because of Hurricane Matthew our flight was cancelled so this has now turned into 6 nights in New York and 6 nights in Orlando. We hopefully fly to Orlando tomorrow morning.

Since I'm currently sitting in our Newark hotel I thought I might as well get started!

Day 1: NY - Fluffys, Little Italian, Bubba Gump, Planet Hollywood
Day 2: NY - Crown Deli, Applebees, Rosie O'Grady's, Sprinkles
Day 3: NY - NY ComicCon, Applebees, Carlos Bakery
Day 4: NY - Applebees, Pax Foods, Buffalo Wild Wings
Day 5: NJ - Dunkin Donuts
Day 6: Orlando - Panda Express, Longhorns
Day 7: Orlando - Bayliner Diner (Cabana Bay), Universal Studios, Breadbox, Millers Ale House
Day 8: Orlando - Islands of Adventure, NBC Sports Grill & Brew
Day 9: Orlando - Dennys, Disney Springs, House of Blues
Day 10: Orlando - Epcot Food and Wine Festival
Day 11: Orlando - Boardwalk Bakery, Sanaa, Ample Hills Creamery
Day 12: Orlando - Captains Grille

LozSteelers 8 Oct 16 06:23 PM

Day One

We were up early on our first morning so made the short walk down to Fluffys for breakfast. Someone recommended this place on here and it was awesome, very busy and full of locals too.

All 3 of us opted for the Challah French Toast with fruit and bacon.

We walked the Brooklyn Bridge around lunchtime and stopped off for some pizza at Little Italian.
We went for a slice of white pizza and two slices of Sicilian pizza. This was really good and only $2.75 a slice!

In the evening, we opted for Bubba Gump in Times Square. Skipped the queue using our Landrys Card and got $50 off the bill as it was my father's birthday the following day.

We had Coconut Shrimp, Mama's Southern Shrimp and Lt Dan's Surf and Turf. These were all really good and fresh.

We then went to Planet Hollywood for cocktails where we had a kiwi breeze and a caramel apple martini. The cocktails were nice but the atmosphere was lacking, we weren't that impressed.

Gabsnoot 9 Oct 16 05:51 AM

Sorry your holiday has had to be changed, hope you are still enjoying it though. We leave for NY on Friday so I am really enjoying reading this... looking for some top tips:)

LozSteelers 9 Oct 16 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabsnoot (Post 12049507)
Sorry your holiday has had to be changed, hope you are still enjoying it though. We leave for NY on Friday so I am really enjoying reading this... looking for some top tips:)

Hope you have a great time :)

LozSteelers 9 Oct 16 09:54 AM

We were up early for the Statue of Liberty cruise so we grabbed a cream cheese bagel from the Crown Deli on Broadway. This was around $3.25 and was deeply filled!

We then went for brunch at Applebees on Broadway later in the day where we had Blueberry Pancakes, Western Omelette and a Times Square Slam. This was all really good value for money and you get coffee for $1 with a breakfast.

The choice for dinner was Rosie O'Grady's, another recommendation from the DIBB. We ordered 2 12oz Sirloin and a 8oz Fillet. This was really good steak and a highly recommend this place. Cost is around $32.95 for an entree.

Later in the evening we visited the Sprinkles ATM for a chocolate marshmallow cupcake.

We then returned to the hotel to a cheesecake left for my father's birthday.

LozSteelers 17 Oct 16 09:58 AM

So this ended up being not as live as I thought it would be, mostly due to poor wifi.
I've updated the first post to show where we went and will try and finish it over the next few days.

Gabsnoot 17 Oct 16 10:18 AM

Really enjoying your report so far:). The food looks great, well done for remembering to take pictures, I usually remember after we've almost finished eating:erm:

We're in NY just now (body clock still not adjusted, up at stupid o'clock so thought I use the time wisely with some dibbing;)). I didn't know cupcake ATMs were a thing...I need to get out more:). Gutted we won't get to try it as we are catching our flight to Orlando this morning.

abiknox 17 Oct 16 10:41 AM

Great start! Looking forward to more photos :)

LozSteelers 17 Oct 16 08:17 PM

Day Three

I spent the day at ComicCon and had a few bits but for some reason, I only appeared to have photographed one item, a pretzel. I think this cost around $5.99 as everything was so expensive.

Dinner was at Applebees. We ordered the triple bacon burger, all american burger and the cedar grilled lemon chicken. We had a melon sangria and red apple sangria also. Everything was so good and 2 of the mains were in the 2 for $30 deal with an appetiser which I forgot to photograph. Really good value considering it's New York!

We had to try a cannoli from Carlo's Bakery. This was amazing, although we entered the bakery at about 10pm and had to wait around 40 mins! Their queueing and payment system is weird and the service very slow but it was worth waiting for.

mobeckwith 18 Oct 16 12:46 AM

great report, looking forward to more. mo x