theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Ear Blocked -Please shout (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1185512)

stockport1965 22 Dec 20 08:10 AM

Ear Blocked -Please shout

I'm after some help for a blocked ear. It has been like this for a week. For the 1st 3 days I used Otex Bicarb ear drops, then started using Boots Ear Drops with hydrogen peroxide. Still no joy. Is it something that "just" takes time?

Donz1979 22 Dec 20 08:22 AM

You may need it syringed! My husband had to pay at chemist to have it done (£50), because the nurse at doctors was waiting to see if doing covid vaccine 😡

signtalker 22 Dec 20 08:26 AM

Having had 4 repeat ear infections this year , I feel your pain!
Hospital stated the bicarbonate ones are the best otex and the others are a waste of time. It will soften the wax but not remove it.
Bicarbonate removes it very slowly.

I ended up on 4 lots of antibiotics for mine, and the doctors aren’t doing any suringing due to COVID , I ended up at and e because mine had got so bad, and a week later I had suction , which to be honest was a joy when I could hear ( lost hearing in both ears) , one worse than the other.

I’m now on the ent list at the hospital to see somebody, I would urge you however minor to get an appointment with the doctor ( phone appointment) the longer you leave impacted the wax the worse it can get .
Jules

Disneydreaming_ 22 Dec 20 08:33 AM

I also had to have antibiotics. I’m not sure if water was trapped in mine or what.

It started out as blocked ear with muffled hearing and then must have got infected as god was I in agony.

The chemist couldn’t help it had to be my GP for the antibiotics. See if you can do an e consult

Bootrip2 22 Dec 20 08:50 AM

I have always suffered with my ears, until i had microsuction. Honestly best thing ive ever done. Not at all painful just a little uncomfortable, but much better than syringing! I have awkward ear canal and ear drims but get prrfect hearing when its done, worth every penny. I was told Otex are worst for ears and to use olive oil drops.

BnDamo 22 Dec 20 08:59 AM

A few drops of olive oil helps to soften the wax, our practice nurse always requests you do this for 2 weeks prior to syringing of ears makes it so much easier.
Our son paid for microsuction last year it resulted in an ear infection and also tinnitus.

meboo 22 Dec 20 09:04 AM

I have constantly blocked ears due to allergies. If it’s internal micro suction doesn’t help. If it’s internal you know because it’s a bit like pressure when you’re in a plane. Sometimes mine pop a little bit but not enough. I was prescribed antihistamines and a nasal spray. If you think it’s internal rather than external (wax) you can but things over the counter (eg beconaise). If it continues you are best to have a medic check them out - a pharmacy where they do consultations can probably do it as it will be immediately obvious to them

stockport1965 22 Dec 20 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meboo (Post 14761741)
I have constantly blocked ears due to allergies. If it’s internal micro suction doesn’t help. If it’s internal you know because it’s a bit like pressure when you’re in a plane. Sometimes mine pop a little bit but not enough. I was prescribed antihistamines and a nasal spray. If you think it’s internal rather than external (wax) you can but things over the counter (eg beconaise). If it continues you are best to have a medic check them out - a pharmacy where they do consultations can probably do it as it will be immediately obvious to them

That's exactly what it is like. As though in a plane & I need to pop them. I did go to Boots & speak to pharmacist & she said use drops. To be fair, I've never found Boots great. Will try my local independent.

meboo 22 Dec 20 09:36 AM

Treat it like you would if you had a cold - olbas oil in a bowl of hot water, stick your head over, towel over your head and try and breath through your nose. Also try popping by yawning etc. If it’s congestion that might help clear it. If you have pain it’s looking more like infection and you’ll need a Dr. Good luck - I know it’s miserable and haven’t found the perfect solution myself. But, if you’ve only had it a few weeks, hopefully it will go.

cartoonp 22 Dec 20 09:46 AM

I had this for past 11 years I first went to my docs who referred me to the hospital as the local drop in cente world not do them at grist I had the water thing where they put water in your ears and the wax comes out they found that this was no good for me so they sent me to the hospital where I had the suchon on my ears that was much better. I know go to Norfolk death assoction who do it every 4 months I go to your doctors to get a referral you don’t need to be there in the serdar you I world do it on the phone.