theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   Alaska - which cruise line should I choose? (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1148818)

kateb78 8 Oct 19 06:36 PM

Alaska - which cruise line should I choose?

We're planning to do a Rockies/Vancouver/Alaska trip in 2021. I'm just gathering some info at the moment as flights and some cruises aren't yet available to book. Does anyone have any recommendations for who we should choose to cruise with? Any to avoid? We've recently taken our first cruise with P&O so don't have much to compare to. Any tips gladly accepted! :wave:

Loopylooloo 8 Oct 19 08:27 PM

I would choose Princess, or Celebrity, both do Alaska, I have heard lots of good things about Princess cruises having the expertise for Alaska, dedicated trains, lodges etc, so a good bet, if not, my favourite cruise ships are Celebrity Solstice class.
If you can get a balcony do so, for the views and wildlife watching etc. Inside passage is recommended and Denali park if time pre or post cruise. This is on my bucket list so if you book please come back and let me know! :wavey:

Melanie R 8 Oct 19 08:33 PM

I’ve just come back from a Princess cruise - I can definitely recommend and if you get the chance to choose an itinerary including Glacier Bay - it was absolutely breathtaking 😊

Taken from my balcony :)

Omega1 8 Oct 19 08:46 PM

We’ve sailed Princess many times and like them. When we cruised Alaska, we chose Holland America because they did a true 14 day itinerary which got to some of the more out of the way places such as Kodiak, Icy Strait Point, Sitka, Homer, Anchorage as well as the more usual ports of Juneau, Ketchikan etc. It was a wonderful itinerary.

kateb78 8 Oct 19 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loopylooloo (Post 14116940)
I would choose Princess, or Celebrity, both do Alaska, I have heard lots of good things about Princess cruises having the expertise for Alaska, dedicated trains, lodges etc, so a good bet, if not, my favourite cruise ships are Celebrity Solstice class.
If you can get a balcony do so, for the views and wildlife watching etc. Inside passage is recommended and Denali park if time pre or post cruise. This is on my bucket list so if you book please come back and let me know! :wavey:

Yes I’d read about Princess having their own land elements of the trip so will find out a bit more. We’re definitely hoping to have a balcony - you can’t beat an early morning cuppa watching the world go by :) I’ll definitely keep you posted on our progress!

kateb78 8 Oct 19 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melanie R (Post 14116956)
I’ve just come back from a Princess cruise - I can definitely recommend and if you get the chance to choose an itinerary including Glacier Bay - it was absolutely breathtaking 😊

Wow! This is why we’re booking! Beautiful. Glad to hear you’re a regular with Princess.

kateb78 8 Oct 19 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omega1 (Post 14116978)
We’ve sailed Princess many times and like them. When we cruised Alaska, we chose Holland America because they did a true 14 day itinerary which got to some of the more out of the way places such as Kodiak, Icy Strait Point, Sitka, Homer, Anchorage as well as the more usual ports of Juneau, Ketchikan etc. It was a wonderful itinerary.

Every itinerary I’ve seen sounds amazing! Well probably be limited to 2 weeks for the trip (because of work) so wouldn’t want to take a 14 night itinerary at this stage. Definitely one I can see us returning to in the future though :) What did you think of Holland America compared to Princess?

Omega1 8 Oct 19 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kateb78 (Post 14117016)
Every itinerary I’ve seen sounds amazing! Well probably be limited to 2 weeks for the trip (because of work) so wouldn’t want to take a 14 night itinerary at this stage. Definitely one I can see us returning to in the future though :) What did you think of Holland America compared to Princess?

For us, Princess has the edge but both are recommended. Both are good for food and service but Princess has better entertainment.

Loopylooloo 8 Oct 19 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melanie R (Post 14116956)

Wow! That is just stunning. I need to go!

Melanie R 8 Oct 19 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loopylooloo (Post 14117134)
Wow! That is just stunning. I need to go!

It was absolutely amazing - I’ve just started to write the trippie, so lots more photos to come if you are interested :)