theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General Trip Planning (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   Vancouver hotel recommendations (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1174505)

kateb78 18 Jun 20 01:44 PM

Vancouver hotel recommendations

All being well, we're going on an Alaskan cruise from Vancouver next year.

We're coming to the point where I need to think about booking flights and hotel. Having never been to Vancouver before, I don't know where to start! We'll probably stay at the hotel for 2 nights before the cruise and 2 nights after the cruise so we want something central to allow us to do some exploring.

Can anyone recommend a hotel they've stayed at? My parents will be with us so will definitely want something a little bit luxurious.

marlouwrig 18 Jun 20 02:17 PM

We stayed at the Pan Pacific before and after our Alaskan cruise. It's not a particularly atmospheric hotel, probably a bit clinical for some tastes but we just loved the view of the bay from our hotel window and the view of the Disney Wonder which docked just below.

We loved it and would definitely stay there again:grin:

Sweeney_Todd 18 Jun 20 02:19 PM

We stayed at the Loden five years ago when it was our 25th wedding anniversary. It is in Coal Harbour so fairly close to the cruise terminal. The room was lovely and large, and while it is a luxury hotel it was not as expensive as the ones nearer to the waterfront.
It is within walking distance of the waterfront, Stanley Park and Gas Town. They have a courtesy vehicle, an old London cab, that will take you to local destinations, including the cruise terminal. I seem to recall they also had courtesy bicycles, but don't quote me on that.

kateb78 18 Jun 20 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marlouwrig (Post 14532669)
We stayed at the Pan Pacific before and after our Alaskan cruise. It's not a particularly atmospheric hotel, probably a bit clinical for some tastes but we just loved the view of the bay from our hotel window and the view of the Disney Wonder which docked just below.

We loved it and would definitely stay there again:grin:

Oh that's good to hear as that's one on my list! Thanks

kateb78 18 Jun 20 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweeney_Todd (Post 14532674)
We stayed at the Loden five years ago when it was our 25th wedding anniversary. It is in Coal Harbour so fairly close to the cruise terminal. The room was lovely and large, and while it is a luxury hotel it was not as expensive as the ones nearer to the waterfront.
It is within walking distance of the waterfront, Stanley Park and Gas Town. They have a courtesy vehicle, an old London cab, that will take you to local destinations, including the cruise terminal. I seem to recall they also had courtesy bicycles, but don't quote me on that.

Oh this is one I’m thinking of too! It’s really well rated on tripadvisor and that always sways my thinking. Good to hear you enjoyed it. Thanks!

Sweeney_Todd 18 Jun 20 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kateb78 (Post 14532686)
Oh this is one I’m thinking of too! It’s really well rated on tripadvisor and that always sways my thinking. Good to hear you enjoyed it. Thanks!

My TripAdvisor review is here

They actually had two London cabs.

While you are staying in Coal Harbour try White Spot for inexpensive diner style food, breakfast menu is good. And for a fantastic seafood dinner try Cardero's

FloridaNuts93 18 Jun 20 05:07 PM

We stayed at the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver. :grin:

kateb78 18 Jun 20 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FloridaNuts93 (Post 14532938)
We stayed at the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver. :grin:

Thanks. Fairmont are good hotels. What did you think of this one?

FloridaNuts93 18 Jun 20 05:24 PM

It was very good, and walkable to most places. :grin:

Melanie R 18 Jun 20 05:30 PM

I stayed at the Blue Horizon last September ahead of my cruise and loved it - I’m making plans to return (when the world opens up again!) and will be booking there again.
I fell in love with Vancouver and only had a day there, so really want to go back and spend more time.