theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Gardens! In need of inspiration (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1080914)

MissB87 18 May 18 11:43 AM

Gardens! In need of inspiration

So after 4 months of overhaul of our first home, we move in this weekend, exciting!

I’m actually just sat in sitting room whilst the worktops are fitted in the kitchen and I’m staring out at the garden at a bit of a loss!

Neither of us have green fingers, currently a lot of borders, a dodgy patio, and a shed that needs to come out and be replaced! In need on some inspiration... so show me your gardens 😄😄

(Will do a before and after house thread soon if it’s something people would like 😊)

Gryff 18 May 18 11:46 AM

Would love to see the before and after to be honest I'd just tidy it up for now till you see where the sun is in the garden at different times of the day ,see what's in the borders etc

Cloverlady 18 May 18 12:26 PM

When we moved into our house the back garden was dark, boggy and the grass was just awful, in fact it was all moss. Nothing had been done since the garden was first done by the builder at sale 10 years earlier.

We knew that it wouldn't improve due to being west facing and surrounded by woodland (corner plot so woodland on 2 sides)

We had to do something to make the garden useable, we began doing area by area, and is still a work in progress...

This was the back part of the garden it when we purchased...

This was the first area turned over to gravel and decking...

This is a further development of that area...

This is the remainder of the useless pathetic boggy lawn turned over to bedding areas awaiting the grass lifting, edging sinking correctly onto barrier fabric when laid - and new gravel which is happening this weekend actually.
(Waiting just nw on 4 tonne of gravel being delivered! :d:

This is the back garden, our lage side garden (just gravelled for now) is next to develop properly! :thumbs-up

Oh and this is my little summer house make over made from the old rotten summerhouse which was there, shame to rip it down!

Lisa123wm 18 May 18 12:32 PM

We are in the process of doing our garden atm as we’ve only been here 7 months or so and have spent that time doing inside the house.
It’s a small garden compared to our last house, so won’t take us years this time 😆

Enchanted 18 May 18 12:37 PM

We’re in the process of doing our garden too! Been here 13mths but found out I was pregnant on moving day so had other priorities last year!
Can’t wait for it to be finished so baby DS can play in it :)

FlorayG 18 May 18 12:40 PM

Don't do anything except take notes for a whole year. You don't know what plants are there, which you like, which get out of control or look lovely for a week then get infested with pests, there may be bulbs not yet appeared.
Also you will see where the sun shines on the garden at different times of year and times of day so you can find the best places for certain types of plant that you want to buy and where to situate your sitting outside places. Do you sit out morning or evening or middle of the day? Will it be in shade or too hot in some parts?
If you really need to brighten it up then buy some annuals in pots (petunias, begonias, snapdragons etc.) to plant out for this summer

JLH 18 May 18 12:42 PM

Sadly I have no photos but we had a huge concrete base in middle of garden with an air raid shelter underneath . We broke up concrete and used it at the end of our garden (sunniest part) to build a raised patio . We then filled in air raid shelter and turfed it all with a few borders as I love gardening 😀 it really did look nice once the flowers came out and then my boys discovered football and was never the same again ! Now it is slowly getting back to way it was 😀

Mr Tom Morrow 18 May 18 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloverlady (Post 13258383)
When we moved into our house the back garden was dark, boggy and the grass was just awful, in fact it was all moss. Nothing had been done since the garden was first done by the builder at sale 10 years earlier.

We knew that it wouldn't improve due to being west facing and surrounded by woodland (corner plot so woodland on 2 sides)

We had to do something to make the garden useable, we began doing area by area, and is still a work in progress...

This is the remainder of the useless pathetic boggy lawn turned over to bedding areas awaiting the grass lifting, edging sinking correctly onto barrier fabric when laid - and new gravel which is happening this weekend actually.

This is the back garden, our lage side garden (just gravelled for now) is next to develop properly! :thumbs-up

Oh and this is my little summer house make over made from the old rotten summerhouse which was there, shame to rip it down!

Very nice, you are doing a brilliant job there. Well done.

JLH 18 May 18 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloverlady (Post 13258383)

Yours looks lovely , love the summer house!

Cloverlady 18 May 18 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow (Post 13258426)
Very nice, you are doing a brilliant job there. Well done.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLH (Post 13258449)
Yours looks lovely , love the summer house!

Thank you :)

So looking forward to not mowing .
Low maintenance is the way to go OP :pgig: Flags, gravel or fake turf! :pgig: