theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Anyone work for Home Bargains Updated (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1133706)

Taffy1959 19 Jun 19 05:38 PM

Anyone work for Home Bargains Updated

I have an interview next week with Home Bargains but I've read reviews from people who have worked there/still work there and while some are positive a lot are really negative.
Things like not being paid or wages being short, not finding out what shifts you will be working until a couple of days before with no regard for any commitments you may have.
Turn up for a 4 hour shift but being made to stay for anything up to 13 hours and not being allowed a break, staff being humiliated and then laughed at if they end up in tears.
There was quite a bit more but these were the reviews that kept coming up.
So I'm wondering if any of you have ever worked for this company and if so is any of this true?
Don't want to leave my job for something that could end up being worse.

klr15 19 Jun 19 06:02 PM

I think, like a lot of big companies, it really varies depending on which store you are at.

Like me for example, I worked at McDonald’s when I was 19 for 6 months and it was the worst experience of my life, so much bullying from managers and being treated like a child, yet so many people on here have great reviews for the place.

I do have a half sister who works at home bargains, although we don’t speak I do know she has been there for 7 years and is now an assistant manager.

I also have a friend from school who worked there for 4 years and was very sad when she left, but my friend and my sister worked at the same store!

Maybe not the best advice, but I just think it’s going to be difficult to get decent reviews unless it’s from people who work in that particular store.

:)

Taffy1959 19 Jun 19 06:59 PM

Thanks for the reply.
It’s pretty much what I think some stores will be better than others and then of course you always get people who don’t like taking direction from management so have a negative view of the company.
My main concerns are starting work at day 6 am and still being there at 5/6pm as apparently you’re not given a finish time and being given your hours at short notice so you can’t plan anything

klr15 19 Jun 19 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taffy1959 (Post 13910692)
Thanks for the reply.
It’s pretty much what I think some stores will be better than others and then of course you always get people who don’t like taking direction from management so have a negative view of the company.
My main concerns are starting work at day 6 am and still being there at 5/6pm as apparently you’re not given a finish time and being given your hours at short notice so you can’t plan anything

I can sort of see some of the above happening. Have you worked in retail before? Only ask because I do have a lot of retail experience, but my experience could be different to others.

In all the retail places I’ve worked in, I’ve always struggled to get my shifts far in advance, sometimes as close as 2 weeks to the day I’d get them, also they would change constantly right up until the day. Another thing I found was you couldn’t just go home when your shift ended, in all the places I’ve worked in if you’re in the middle of a job and it’s the end of your shift you’re expected to stay until it’s done, no matter how long it takes. This could just be my experience, others may differ, but that is how I’ve found retail. :)

lizzie145 19 Jun 19 07:23 PM

I take it that there are no trade unions involved as they wouldn't allow this

immygrace 19 Jun 19 07:28 PM

I work for home bargains and I have to say I love it (as much as anyone can love work !). I work around my family and have weekends off which I think is fantastic in the retail industry.
We now have an online system for our Rotas and we get 3 weeks in advance and works around the availability you give them . 10% discount too 😁

Taffy1959 19 Jun 19 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by klr15 (Post 13910714)
I can sort of see some of the above happening. Have you worked in retail before? Only ask because I do have a lot of retail experience, but my experience could be different to others.

In all the retail places I’ve worked in, I’ve always struggled to get my shifts far in advance, sometimes as close as 2 weeks to the day I’d get them, also they would change constantly right up until the day. Another thing I found was you couldn’t just go home when your shift ended, in all the places I’ve worked in if you’re in the middle of a job and it’s the end of your shift you’re expected to stay until it’s done, no matter how long it takes. This could just be my experience, others may differ, but that is how I’ve found retail. :)

Yes I’ve worked in retail for a long time, I’ve been with my current employer for almost 13 years.
I have set hours and rarely do any overtime but we are being forced on to a flexible contract with the loss of quite a few other things.
As people leave they’re not being replaced but we’re still expected to produce the same results, there used to be 9 of us on a Friday afternoon into the evening now there are 2 of us and when 1 is off the other is left on their own and I feel it’s going to get worse.

Taffy1959 19 Jun 19 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by immygrace (Post 13910776)
I work for home bargains and I have to say I love it (as much as anyone can love work !). I work around my family and have weekends off which I think is fantastic in the retail industry.
We now have an online system for our Rotas and we get 3 weeks in advance and works around the availability you give them . 10% discount too 😁

Thank you it’s nice to hear a positive comment.
One of my concerns is I look after my granddaughter most Mondays so I need to ask if they could accommodate that.

Taffy1959 19 Jun 19 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lizzie145 (Post 13910768)
I take it that there are no trade unions involved as they wouldn't allow this

I’ve googled this and I can’t find anything so it doesn’t look as if there’s a trade union involved

Kawaii 20 Jun 19 04:49 PM

My friends son works in one. He loves it and hasn't had any problems. The only thing he's found is that they employ for a number of hours but then they expect a lot more, which he struggles with as he's going through college.