theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Deferring last year at uni (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1159536)

Macca04 29 Jan 20 10:46 PM

Deferring last year at uni

My daughter started her third year at uni last September, unfortunately at the beginning of December she was diagnosed with Cerebral Venus Sinus Thrombosis or blood clots in the brain which they said were extensive. She managed to defer her dissertation and two exams and has been told they can be done in July.

Unfortunately the clots have left her with a constant headache, feeling very tired and ill. She managed to go to uni two out of three times last week (first week back after Christmas break) but felt too ill to go yesterday. She went for her blood check today and has been put back on Clexane injections as well as her usual Warfarin. She has gone to bed tonight really upset. She seems to have two steps forward and three back at the moment. I said she should defer her course for a year and concentrate on getting better, to be honest I don’t think she has a choice.

Has anyone experience of deferring a year and was it easy to do?

Carrotstickz 29 Jan 20 11:06 PM

No personal experience to speak of, but the best people to speak to in this situation would be her students union - they should have an advice team and they’re (usually but not always) independent of the university so will make sure to really prioritise what she needs and not what’s easiest for the institution. They’re usually pretty well equipped and know the regulations and rules inside out and should be able to help her through that process - and if they can’t then they’ll be able to point her in the direction of somebody within e.g. the student services team who can.

Edit: each institution has its own rules and they vary wildly from very easy to take a year out and come back when feeling up to it, to very difficult and really quite backwards in terms of their processes.

Lola 29 Jan 20 11:06 PM

If she goes through the Uni system for deferring I din’t think there would be a problem. If she can talk to the student support people as soon as possible they should be able to explain her options. There should be extra support available if she feels she can continue without deferring.

Macca04 29 Jan 20 11:14 PM

Thanks both, she has a meeting with her course leader next week and has been in touch with disabilities office. Feel really upset for her as she as worked to hard. She really wants to try and keep up but two modules this term are group work and she doesn’t feel it’s right to let people down.

I think today has really knocked her too, having to go back to injections after 6 weeks.

CrispyA 29 Jan 20 11:17 PM

All Universities should have a Leave of Absence procedure as students need to take time out for a number of reasons. As others have said, the Student Advice Centre at the Students Union would be a best place to start as they can advice on the process and support etc.

Hopefully her department will be helpful as well. Really hope she’s feeling better soon.