theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Sprung a leak (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1211198)

Lisa-72 31 Dec 21 06:46 PM

Sprung a leak

What an end to this year, taken decorations down and DH decides to hang a new mirror, drilling through the brick and hits a water pipe 🤬🤬🤬

Water fountain in the lounge, have fortunately got the pipe capped but unfortunately it’s one of the radiator ones so we have no heating until maybe this time next week.

What a flipping mess and I’m under blankets with a hot water bottle trying to keep warm.

munmun 31 Dec 21 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa-72 (Post 15264444)
What an end to this year, taken decorations down and DH decides to hang a new mirror, drilling through the brick and hits a water pipe 🤬🤬🤬

Water fountain in the lounge, have fortunately got the pipe capped but unfortunately it’s one of the radiator ones so we have no heating until maybe this time next week.

What a flipping mess and I’m under blankets with a hot water bottle trying to keep warm.

Oh no, swimming pools not needed this time of year. Forecast is mild but get the thermals out.

Sorry it has happened!:(

Lisa-72 2 Jan 22 03:06 PM

The forecast is now showing it’s getting colder with sleet showers towards the weekend, hope DH will be ok at home with no heating.
At least being back at work on Tuesday will mean I have a warm office.

Blue nose 2 Jan 22 03:15 PM

Is it covered by your house insurance? If so I'd be calling them for an emergency plumber.

ChrisnKa 2 Jan 22 03:42 PM

If the pipe is capped off properly, turn the radiator off at both sides then re pressurise your heating system again. You won't have that radiator working but the rest of your house will be fine.

Lisa-72 2 Jan 22 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue nose (Post 15266539)
Is it covered by your house insurance? If so I'd be calling them for an emergency plumber.

We’re in rental accommodation and our letting agent is next to useless in getting anyone to repair anything.

themeparksandy 2 Jan 22 05:03 PM

Reminds me of when my extension was finished. I had painted the room and the carpet was laid and putting the curtain rail up and like you I went thought the radiator pipe. The plumper who the builder used was on holiday so had no hot water for a week lucky it wasn’t that cold and it was all done while we were away.

SgtElias 2 Jan 22 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa-72 (Post 15266645)
We’re in rental accommodation and our letting agent is next to useless in getting anyone to repair anything.

Your reply obviously states your in rented accommodation, it also gives the impression you have no contents insurance, there is no obligation to have any in rented property, your landlord should have the buildings covered. Its prudent to have cover in case of damage by flood, fire or theft, you should only be looking at about £10 a month I would think.

There was a recent fire where I live and 2/3 houses were gutted, one of the renters was in the local paper saying he had lost his £3,000 TV, he was starting a go fund me page to help him set up again, however it came to light he didn’t have any insurance and any good will soon disappeared.

Blue nose 3 Jan 22 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa-72 (Post 15266645)

I'd go and sit in the letting office tomorrow when they open until they get a plumber out. Be visible and loud. Landlords have an obligation and if they choose to use an agent that goes for them too.

I hope you get sorted soon.

Lisa-72 22 Jan 22 06:16 PM

And we now finally have heat! Albeit a large hole in the lounge wall but the house is so warm, we’d almost forgotten what it felt like.