theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Crocheting (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1111590)

dizzymcfarlane 6 Jan 19 10:12 PM

Crocheting

Don’t even know if that’s spelt right ! I need something to do in evening and crocheting has been suggested. Can anyone point me in direction of a good website with instructions etc please. Any other recommendations gratefully recieved.

hideinpockets 6 Jan 19 10:14 PM

YouTube! Just search for beginners crochet videos, that’s how I taught myself to crochet. It’s really helpful to watch someone do it :)

Scotty 6 Jan 19 10:29 PM

Aldi has disney crochet kits in. I think they are for complete beginners.

Mymemories 6 Jan 19 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotty (Post 13631974)
Aldi has disney crochet kits in. I think they are for complete beginners.

Oh no they’re not !

My son bought me the Mickey and Minnie ones and when I took out the instructions I initially thought they were printed in a different language.

I told him when I eventually retire I may get time to try and teach myself how to do them. :grin::grin:

Elisebev 6 Jan 19 10:55 PM

Ive never done crocheting so can’t advise on that,

What about beading/jewellery making. Ive been making my own jewellery on and off for years. Lots of tutorials available on YouTube/Etsy. At the moment I am doing a beaded tapestry.

ERICSMUM 6 Jan 19 11:07 PM

What about cross stitch ? It’s not as popular as it was, perhaps because it takes a while to stitch a small area. Very satisfying though. HobbyCraft have some small kits to start you off (not cheap though )

FloridaNuts93 6 Jan 19 11:28 PM

Crocheting is really easy once you have the basic stitches, and you can make some lovely things. 😀

skb 123 7 Jan 19 01:35 AM

I did a short course at my local adult education centre to learn the basics and really enjoyed it. There is also a group that meets in my local library to knit and crochet together.

I found a good Dorling Kindersley book which had really good step by step instructions and photos.

Be careful with US videos/patterns/books as some stitches are called different things in US and UK. Also I think hook sizes are different.

Guest 7 Jan 19 01:56 AM

I decided to take up crochet last year. I looked for a local class but couldn't find anything suitable but I found somebody that did individual lessons in her house for £15 an hour. I had two lessons in January and then I started a blanket, when I was ready to join together I had another lesson. Very pleased with my blanket.

After that I decided to see if I could tackle a toy by myself so started this Paddington Bear. The only thing I couldn't remember was the magic circle, so I YouTubed that and got it. Below is Paddingtons hat and coat, I did do the bear as well but I must have used the wrong wool and he was too big, so I will have another go after holiday.

jillyb 7 Jan 19 07:07 AM

I taught myself to crochet watching youtube. I'm left handed and there are plenty of video's on there for left and right handed people.