theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Offers, Discounts, Codes, Cashback and UK Shopping (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   Cereal (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1133224)

Minnie18 16 Jun 19 10:31 AM

Cereal

I went to Tesco yesterday for some bits and bobs. dd had requested coco pops, I couldn't believe the small box was £3 😱 needless to say I didn't buy them.

Anyhoo my question is why is cereal so expensive?

loves2plan 16 Jun 19 10:35 AM

Probably because a lot of people will pay a premium for brand names as they think they're better than the supermarket own version. We buy Aldi Coco pops, frosties, Weetabix etc and are very happy with them. The kids like chocolate shreddies too, but I'll only buy them when they're on offer. I simply refuse to pay full price for branded cereals as I just think they're overpriced.
Out of interest, why didn't you get the Tesco version of Coco pops instead?

whlparkstone 16 Jun 19 10:36 AM

Completely agree, the cost of branded cereal is just horrendous. I am sure I saw Golden Grahams the other day for about £3:80.

I never buy branded cereal, we always get the 3 for £3 offer in Tesco. You just have to be careful as some of the boxes are smaller in weight than the others,... and I do like to get value for money.

No idea why it's so expensive though 🤷

Bee happy 16 Jun 19 10:49 AM

Oh yes cereal is so expensive. My 3 eat lots of cereal, I'm always looking for whatever is on offer in the biggest box lol.

Minnie18 16 Jun 19 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loves2plan (Post 13904563)
Probably because a lot of people will pay a premium for brand names as they think they're better than the supermarket own version. We buy Aldi Coco pops, frosties, Weetabix etc and are very happy with them. The kids like chocolate shreddies too, but I'll only buy them when they're on offer. I simply refuse to pay full price for branded cereals as I just think they're overpriced.
Out of interest, why didn't you get the Tesco version of Coco pops instead?

We already have Tesco co co pops in the house. Yeah I agree the shops own brands are just as good for less money.

dd had seen the coco pops advert and only wanted them for the "free" toy.

Minnie18 16 Jun 19 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whlparkstone (Post 13904568)
Completely agree, the cost of branded cereal is just horrendous. I am sure I saw Golden Grahams the other day for about £3:80.

I never buy branded cereal, we always get the 3 for £3 offer in Tesco. You just have to be careful as some of the boxes are smaller in weight than the others,... and I do like to get value for money.

No idea why it's so expensive though 🤷

It is a puzzle why they cost so much. We get the Tesco 3 boxes also. I would rather the extra money was in my pocket than the supermarkets. £3.80 thats shocking 😱

I have noticed when I pop to my local Tesco its the brands that are left on the shelves and the stock is low on supermarket own versions.

Minnie18 16 Jun 19 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bee happy (Post 13904588)
Oh yes cereal is so expensive. My 3 eat lots of cereal, I'm always looking for whatever is on offer in the biggest box lol.

Snap me to. dh dd and ds eat a lot of ceareal.

Minnie18 16 Jun 19 11:03 AM

Just noticed my thread has been moved. I didn't know there was this section on the Dibb thanks mods 😊

snowbelle 16 Jun 19 06:39 PM

In the last few years Wheat prices across North America and the Uk have risen due to poor weather, this years farmers in the US are already behind with planting due to bad weather, so no doubt wheat and Maize especially will rise in price again.

Supermarkets will also take advantage of customers believing that 'named' brands are better so will price them knowing people will buy them.

Weddingnyc 16 Jun 19 09:02 PM

We also buy the 3 for £3 - all 5 of us have cereal for breakfast so we go through a lot of boxes. We also like the Tesco’s own fruit and fibre and honey nut.
We bought some multicoloured cereal from Walmart last year, and it was like eating perfume! Even DS, who will eat anything, couldn’t stomach it.