theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Should I go to Orlando on Monday? [Update: I went!] (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1021688)

Bozza 5 May 17 12:36 PM

Should I go to Orlando on Monday? [Update: I went!]

Background: I gave up proper work just over a year ago and have largely dossed around since. I'm quite time rich and although not massively cash rich, I was fortunate enough to be able to make the move with a bit of a safety net.

I've thought about a little solo trip to the magic for a while. I had considered going out for the big DIS Unplugged party thing at the beginning of June but then Wishes ending caught my attention. It finishes next week. Like many, I love Wishes and it's been a highlight of many trips over the years.

There is no barrier of any note stopping me booking a trip to Orlando on Monday for, say, 7-10 nights.

Well, I say that, but I'd feel guilty about it. Very guilty. Again, like many of us, WDW is a place for family magic - we do it together - always have done. Due to the kids being in school and my partner working in a school, I would be by myself.

That feels quite an exciting prospect in some regards. Doing exactly what I wanted, when I wanted. Selfish. Decadent even. But I know I'd really miss it being a shared experience with those I hold most dear.

Over our regular Friday morning breakfast together this morning my partner said "Do it - you'll have a great time."

I don't know if I can though. Would you?

Mr Tom Morrow 5 May 17 12:38 PM

No!
I can't imagine doing any trips without my Wife. We do everything together and always will.

loola30 5 May 17 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bozza (Post 12501758)
Background: I gave up proper work just over a year ago and have largely dossed around since. I'm quite time rich and although not massively cash rich, I was fortunate enough to be able to make the move with a bit of a safety net.

I've thought about a little solo trip to the magic for a while. I had considered going out for the big DIS Unplugged party thing at the beginning of June but then Wishes ending caught my attention. It finishes next week. Like many, I love Wishes and it's been a highlight of many trips over the years.

There is no barrier of any note stopping me booking a trip to Orlando on Monday for, say, 7-10 nights.

Well, I say that, but I'd feel guilty about it. Very guilty. Again, like many of us, WDW is a place for family magic - we do it together - always have done. Due to the kids being in school and my partner working in a school, I would be by myself.

That feels quite an exciting prospect in some regards. Doing exactly what I wanted, when I wanted. Selfish. Decadent even. But I know I'd really miss it being a shared experience with those I hold most dear.

Over our regular Friday morning breakfast together this morning my partner said "Do it - you'll have a great time."

I don't know if I can though. Would you?

What would the kids say?

spenners 5 May 17 12:39 PM

If your partner is happy for you to go then do it. Not sure I would enjoy it without my family though :)

Bozza 5 May 17 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loola30 (Post 12501761)
What would the kids say?

Yeah, I've thought about that too.

If nothing else, I also know it would force my hand to ensure we go back this August - something that is currently up in the air!

I can bring gifts back though, right? That will keep them sweet surely?

MariaLynda 5 May 17 12:40 PM

Can they go too?

disney332 5 May 17 12:40 PM

An interesting question Bozza and one that i have contemplated from time to time.

My decision would be no. Whilst i could also afford it, i would get no pleasure myself, as my pleasure is a shared pleasure.

This is an individual thing and depends on your mentality imho.

Disney332

loola30 5 May 17 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bozza (Post 12501764)
Yeah, I've thought about that too.

If nothing else, I also know it would force my hand to ensure we go bac this August - something that is currently up in the air!

I can bring gifts back though, right? That will keep them sweet surely?

Don't do it. I couldn't.

leenkerri 5 May 17 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow (Post 12501760)
No!
I can't imagine doing any trips without my Wife. We do everything together and always will.

Agree with this. Although Kerri is not my wife, I think 99% of the enjoyment is doing it with her. I couldn't go alone (as tempting as the peace and quiet would be)

Melbatb 5 May 17 12:44 PM

Opposite point of view - I have done 4 or 5 solo trips (never to WDW but far flung places like NY, Hong Kong and Malaysia).

I love my family dearly but sometimes it is wonderful to just do what I want to do! The rest of the time I am guilty of putting everyone else before me! My family is very supportive of my wanderlust! It doesn't impact our own trips! We still have our family holidays!

If your wife says go for it - then do! Occassionally it does you the world of good to recharge your batteries and just be by yourself!