theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Lighting and Headaches (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1155389)

skalexander 26 Dec 19 07:15 AM

Lighting and Headaches

I’ve been having an issue in one of the Courtrooms I work in, in that I come away with a headache. Depending how long I’m there it can be mild and easily solved with paracetamol or it can be very painful, with me being photosensitive and painkillers don’t touch it. The problem is the lights flicker ever so slightly. I’ve reported it to the maintenance people but seeing as they’ve not fixed chairs which have been broken for years I’m not optimistic of a fix.

I also felt a headache coming on yesterday at my uncle’s and it seems there was a slight flicker to his lights too. Not sure why as the bulbs all seemed to be fine.

Anyway, my Dad suggested that glasses with an anti-glare coating might help. I don’t wear/need glasses but it seems you can get there as gear glass with this coating on and prepared to give it a try if it would help.

I just wondered if anyone has had a similar issue and whether my Dad’s suggestion might work? Or if anyone has other ideas?

WhereIBelong 26 Dec 19 08:58 AM

I wear glasses with ever such a slight browny/yellow tint to them for this very reason. I got them when I was in France and a lot of the lights in their department stores triggered migraines.

apparently it is "a thing",

perhaps anti-glare coating works the same way?

lizzie145 26 Dec 19 09:07 AM

Ask to see occupational health as they may be able to recommend something and perhaps your employer can pay for it

Ryles 26 Dec 19 10:33 AM

I can’t have the lights on in my office as I get an instant headache! My office isn’t massive but we have 4 really big lights and it’s just too much.

Weddingnyc 26 Dec 19 10:38 AM

I also suffer from headaches and migraines from flickering lights. I’m usually ok with house lights, although I’ve had to change our new LEDs in the kitchen as they were giving me headaches. Driving when the sun is low and flicking past trees sets me off.
I’d try and write a letter regarding health to the maintenance team, and maybe carry some sunglasses if/when you can wear them if you feel a headache coming on.

Guest 26 Dec 19 11:35 AM

I bet a dollar your local optician could suggest something ...

Gryff 26 Dec 19 11:37 AM

I don't need glasses but wear them with an anti glare coating in shops
Commercial buildings in fact anywhere with fluorescent lights they drive me nuts
Low sunlight in the winter or walkingbthe dogs near water flashing sun through trees when driving etc
The glasses do help

DiszeeBelle 26 Dec 19 11:59 AM

I wear glasses but do have the anti glare on to stop it triggering my headaches especially because I work in a school and the strip lights are the worse.

Mrs Red C 26 Dec 19 04:18 PM

I have tinted glasses for my brightness issues. I also by sunglass clip ons from Boots that I wear most of the time too. Handy to flip up and down rather than carry extra glasses

skalexander 26 Dec 19 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weddingnyc (Post 14214198)
I’d try and write a letter regarding health to the maintenance team, and maybe carry some sunglasses if/when you can wear them if you feel a headache coming on.

The seats keep collapsing and turfing lawyers onto the floor mid-Court and they haven’t fixed them, they won’t care about one lawyer and her headaches. They don’t employ me so owe me very little.

I also can’t wear sunglasses when appearing in Court.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cuxi (Post 14214241)
I bet a dollar your local optician could suggest something ...

I’m sure they could, when they reopen in January. I’m asking whilst it’s in my mind, having had a headache yesterday. It’s also good to talk to someone who has had the same issue rather than just on a hypothetical basis.