theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Accommodation (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Southern Dunes (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=748216)

wasa 7 Oct 13 04:58 PM

Southern Dunes

Hi

I have some prices for a April trip for 3 weeks next year, have done AOA before and never had any issues, due to the dates being over easter I am a bit worried that the villa we got allocated might not be to good. I have been offered Southern Dunes as the next cheapest option. I know it is a way out but but could anyone who has stayed there give me some info about the area, also was the drive that much of a pain!

Thanks
Warwick

bLaZeR666_uk 7 Oct 13 05:02 PM

Stayed there in 2007 its not that far out, about 20 min drive on a good day. Next door to a large wallmart.

Its located within a golf course so you get golfers passing through (not on your property though).

Nice and quiet...gets thumbs up from me...

shamu1 7 Oct 13 05:03 PM

the drive is very easy and we don't mind it at all.
southern dunes is right next to Wal-Mart.
there are various eating place like mannys close by. and loads of take-aways popeyes /burger king / mcdonalds /checkers /Chinese /pizza hut and dominos

when we go to the parks that's us for the day if you like to go back to the villa in the afternoon then return to the parks then I can see why it would suit everyone.

Magic Mouse 7 Oct 13 05:05 PM

We stayed there quite a few years ago - it is quite a drive to the parks but it's easy enough along the US27 and I4.

If you don't intend to pop back to the villa during the day, then I would say it's fine and the Walmart on the doorstep is very handy.

We had a beautiful villa overlooking the golf course :thumbs-up

The Hulk 7 Oct 13 05:05 PM

We stayed at Southern Dunes a few years ago, AOA. To be honest it is more like Haines City, than Orlando and whilst it is a beautiful resort, we did find it a little far out. Wasn't so much at the beginning of the day, but by then end when your tired you sometimes just want to get back to your villa and not have a 30-40 min drive ahead of you.(from Universal, Disney approx. 20-30 mins as traffic lights every few minutes! )
There is a big Walmart right at the entrance on the estate which was very handy, but not really any decent restaurant within walking distance (there is a Dunkin Donuts/McDonalds but we didn't try these). Its close to Manny's steak house which is just a bit further past the resort, but again we didn't like the look if it so didn't try. Other than that not much around the general area. We tended to eat on way home from parks on 192, breaking up the journey home a little.
While the villas are fabulous and we had a great holiday, we wouldn't stay that far out again. Hope that helps :thumbs-up

Malcolm 7 Oct 13 05:20 PM

Hi.. SD is a nice community and entrance is by a Walmart and you have a few eating places close by and Mannys would be about seven or eight minuets walk so no worry about enjoying a few drinks.
Although I won't knock Walmarts food but a short distance away is Publix and there fresh cold meats and salad are far superior with more friendly staff.
Yes it's a few minuits longer to parks but iits a nice estate and as I say has good eateries and shops

Guest 7 Oct 13 05:22 PM

We stayed at Southern Dunes a couple of years ago with Thomsons. The villa was ok but very well used but we only did the universal parks and found the drive to be a bit tedious especially when you were tired. As others have said there is a large Walmart at the entrances and Mannys isn't too far away. We went to Popeyes on the night we arrived and found that to be ok but I wouldn't stay that far out again.

disney babe 7 Oct 13 05:25 PM

Lovely place but would never stay there again. Too far from everything, 30-40mins drive every night with 3 lids was a nightmare. Also on days we didn't do parks still ended up having to drive up to 192 for decent breakfast and again fir evening meal, not our idea of fun.

angelbabe 7 Oct 13 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Hulk (Post 9039953)
We stayed at Southern Dunes a few years ago, AOA. To be honest it is more like Haines City, than Orlando and whilst it is a beautiful resort, we did find it a little far out.

To be fair, no one actually stays in Orlando itself as it's a further 10 minutes more North on I4 past Universal.

The areas of Kissimmee, Davenport, Clermont and Haines are all an acceptable distance in terms of the parks for rental homes but obviously personal preference is paramount.

I find each and every area has it's plus and minus points; it just depends on what's important for your holiday.

Wherever you choose OP, have fun. :wave:

The Hulk 7 Oct 13 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelbabe (Post 9040081)
To be fair, no one actually stays in Orlando itself as it's a further 10 minutes more North on I4 past Universal.

The areas of Kissimmee, Davenport, Clermont and Haines are all an acceptable distance in terms of the parks for rental homes but obviously personal preference is paramount.

I find each and every area has it's plus and minus points; it just depends on what's important for your holiday.

Wherever you choose OP, have fun. :wave:

OOps sorry I meant Kissimmee not Orlando :blush: We booked a villa in Kissimmee, but were given SD which was Haines city ;)