theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Trip Planning Florida (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Just universal... No kids... ? (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1057065)

Starlet 4 Dec 17 09:14 AM

Just universal... No kids... ?

Hello,

We've just returned from our family Disney holiday and had a fab time.

To cut a long story short my partner and I have never had a holiday alone. We have some ppi money coming our way and we are debating to return to Orlando, just the two of us, grandma is happy to stay with the kids and take them to school whilst we're away for 10 days.

We're looking at staying at the Drury inn on the I drive and just getting the 6 Park universal tickets. We love rides and want to be in the sun and with a chunk of the money coming our way from such circumstances it seems like this would be a great opportunity to experience universal.

We can either go around mid May, mid June or leave it til November again. Any suggestions or advice on any of the above?

It's either this or an all inclusive lazy holiday somewhere else but just thinking I might not be in this position again where we can return.

kraftikris 4 Dec 17 09:44 AM

We have just done this albeit we are 2 old fogies with no young children.

We usually do an alternate park each year, last year no parks! just KSC, this year was Universal's turn, but we only went 3 times, I still consider our 'wet day' the highlight of every holiday, we do the wet rides over and over again, and have masses of fun.

The only thing I would say is universal can be a bit boring if they are the only parks you will be doing as they are not as big as Disney so you can get round pretty quickly, but we like to have lots of shopping days and a few relaxing days too, when I was younger it would have got boring pretty quickly, but now we like to take a slow pace.

November is a great time to go btw, not many queues, we had walk ons most days, and of course, the run up to Christmas too.

Starlet 4 Dec 17 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kraftikris (Post 12966883)
We have just done this albeit we are 2 old fogies with no young children.

We usually do an alternate park each year, last year no parks! just KSC, this year was Universal's turn, but we only went 3 times, I still consider our 'wet day' the highlight of every holiday, we do the wet rides over and over again, and have masses of fun.

The only thing I would say is universal can be a bit boring if they are the only parks you will be doing as they are not as big as Disney so you can get round pretty quickly, but we like to have lots of shopping days and a few relaxing days too, when I was younger it would have got boring pretty quickly, but now we like to take a slow pace.

November is a great time to go btw, not many queues, we had walk ons most days, and of course, the run up to Christmas too.

Thank you. This was one of my concerns after doing 14 days at Disney would we do universal quickly? Especially with no children in tow.

I could always shorten the stay, makes the holiday cheaper but I just don't like the thought of a long flight for a shorter stay. Especially getting over the jet lag.

Did you do all the other parks busch gardens? Seaworld etc?

I definitely wouldn't mind inserting plenty chill days, lounge round pool etc which is why I'm tempted go earlier than November for some hotter temps?

jas72 4 Dec 17 11:40 AM

My choice would be for November just because of Halloween Horror nights. If you haven't been to them I would go just for that. It's the highlight of Universal's year and is the big difference between that and Disney, disney just doesn't do Horror. :D

Apart from Peter Pan, a ride that can only be described as "horrific". :pgig:

pegasus928 4 Dec 17 12:41 PM

Me and DW have done our last two holidays on our own, both in October/November for the HHN experience. So much better than anything Disney could pull of from a horror point by of view - but as an added benefit Epcot has the Food and Wine festival on, something else that is better done without kids.

cornishfrogboy 4 Dec 17 12:50 PM

If I was fortunate enough to be in your position and able to go alone with my other half..

I would find 10 days of Universal too much (and I love Universal). I would look into a Discovery Cove ultimate (swim or in my case no swim). 4 more parks to see including that awesome day in the Cove itself with all food and drink included, plus free parking if you have hired a car.

With this in mind, I would go for May/June.

Andycm81 4 Dec 17 01:24 PM

We LOVE Universal, much more so than Disney, and could easily do 10 days at Uni, IoA and Volcano Bay. If that's the dilemma, you could still do 10 days, but have a few relax days, especially with the kids being at home!

macadoo 4 Dec 17 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy (Post 12967009)
If I was fortunate enough to be in your position and able to go alone with my other half..

I would find 10 days of Universal too much (and I love Universal). I would look into a Discovery Cove ultimate (swim or in my case no swim). 4 more parks to see including that awesome day in the Cove itself with all food and drink included, plus free parking if you have hired a car.

With this in mind, I would go for May/June.

Agree, 3 days at universal and we've done everything (and the third day is revisiting favourites).

klr15 4 Dec 17 02:16 PM

My other half and I went alone this year for our first trip and we did Disney, Universal, Seaworld and Busch. We did Disney during the first week and the others during the second. For Universal we only spent around two full days there as it was pretty quick and easy to do all the rides and see all the attractions. I’d definitely recommend that if you do decide to just do the 3 universal parks then plan other places in Florida to see, maybe a visit to Celebration, Kennedy space centre or one of the beaches. :)

Col&Ali 4 Dec 17 02:53 PM

DH and I are doing just this in April. We booked a very reasonably priced package through Virgin .. 7 nights at the Rosen Plaza followed by 3 nights in St Petes staying in the Guy Harvey Outpost. We have also booked a mid size SUV and tickets for just Universal and Volcano Bay. Flights and hotels came to £1700 and all in with car and parks totals £2400 which we were happy with 😁 Can’t wait!