theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Car Hire & Transportation (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=226)
-   -   Transportation from Tampa to Kissimmee (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1056355)

SteveC 24 Nov 17 11:52 PM

Transportation from Tampa to Kissimmee

Next July around 18 of our family are travelling to Orlando and looking at flight prices at the moment it’ll be over £500 per person cheaper to fly indirectly to Tampa than directly to Orlando, quite a saving.

Rather than pick up hire cars at Tampa I’m thinking we should have a small coach take us to Kissimmee and we’ll pick cars up locally the following day. Does anyone know of any decent bus companies for that journey.

DonnaD 25 Nov 17 12:19 AM

It is an easy drive of just over an hour. Depending on where you are staying you might have to arrange transport to the car hire place the next day as well.

Are you sure you want the hassle? Depending on the type of accommodation you might want the cars as soon as you arrive as well as villas and some hotels might not be close enough to walk anywhere for a snack etc.

SteveC 25 Nov 17 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonnaD (Post 12957073)
It is an easy drive of just over an hour. Depending on where you are staying you might have to arrange transport to the car hire place the next day as well.

Are you sure you want the hassle? Depending on the type of accommodation you might want the cars as soon as you arrive as well as villas and some hotels might not be close enough to walk anywhere for a snack etc.

I would be fine with it but I’m thinking that our sons/sons-in-law who have never driven in the US might find it a bit too much after what will be a very long day with very tired kids in the back. It’s our own villa we’re travelling to so I’m ok with where everything is when we arrive. Just weighing up options at the moment and haven’t ruled out the Tampa car hire option.

DonnaD 25 Nov 17 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveC (Post 12957090)
I would be fine with it but I’m thinking that our sons/sons-in-law who have never driven in the US might find it a bit too much after what will be a very long day with very tired kids in the back. It’s our own villa we’re travelling to so I’m ok with where everything is when we arrive. Just weighing up options at the moment and haven’t ruled out the Tampa car hire option.

We did it with young kids a couple of times. We stopped for a quick bite somewhere like Burger King and then they fell asleep. Unlike the drive from Miami it really wasn't any problem. It is a shame the first part leaving the airport and getting through Tampa is the only slightly stressful bit which is before they would get used to the driving.

A coach for 18 plus luggage sounds expensive. I wonder if a night at an airport hotel would be cheaper.

Just noticed you said indirect to Tampa. What time do you get in? That might make the hotel option even more appealing.

yorky 25 Nov 17 10:02 AM

You really don’t need to be doing that. It’s a doddle just picking up the car at Tamp airport and taking the I4. You would be wasting a ton of money in all honesty.

DonnaD 25 Nov 17 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yorky (Post 12957317)
You really don’t need to be doing that. It’s a doddle just picking up the car at Tamp airport and taking the I4. You would be wasting a ton of money in all honesty.

I only mentioned a hotel because of the OP's concern for the other drivers who haven't driven in the US before. I agree it really isn't a big deal.

Just make sure you check the start of the route first if you don't have Sat Navs. Last time we did it there were no signs to I4 or Orlando when leaving the airport. You needed to know to follow the signs to Tampa first.

SteveC 26 Nov 17 10:58 PM

Thanks for the comments and on reflection and checking Google Maps as it’s only showing a journey of 1hr 6 mins it does make sense to get the cars from Tampa. We’ll be landing on a Saturday night so hopefully traffic will be fairly clear too.

Wolverine 28 Nov 17 09:22 PM

Think car on the drive pick up from Tampa for a surcharge