theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Accommodation (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Coronado springs - a bit disappointed... (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1137020)

Rossmasa 16 Jul 19 10:29 AM

Sad to see OP so disappointed with there stay.

We are going in a few weeks time and really looking forward to it after originally having to change to POR we have managed to change it back to CSR , have been a number of times over the past few years and have always enjoyed CSR more than any other Disney resort.

I quite liked that it was a bit different to other resorts and didn't feel like overly Disney as it was also a convention center as the Disney bubble at the parks etc can drive you mad at times.

We have been quite fortunate with conventions not really affecting us too much as managed to time the food court well and also buses either got on at Casitas or Rancho's , not looking forward to that this year as we are in the Gran Destino so last stop on the Bus route round the resort.

bonnies mum 16 Jul 19 10:53 AM

Completely agree with the OP.
It was a few years ago we stayed there but our pool time was completely ruined by large groups of Conventioneers swamping our sun beds & the pool area.
Our housekeeping was also very hit & miss but more often late in the afternoon.
Pre Tower it was a beautiful looking resort and I hope it still is but I wouldn’t return in a hurry.
We transferred from the to Port Orleans Riverside and really felt we were in a resort hotel then.

Quensabob 16 Jul 19 10:59 AM

I still think they want to cater to families as you say one of the conventions was a child one,I think unfortunately like everything Disney sometimes it gets very busy!
I think maybe they will look at counter service again in the future, but I think they hope the tower convention guests will eat in the Dahlia lounge and toledo more that mercado de Coronado!
We visited Coronado last September for a quick look around and couldn't believe how quiet is was, all the pools were empty and at that point the dig site was closed and the counter service was empty just us and one other family in, so I suppose it just depends when you visit!

lorr05 16 Jul 19 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quensabob (Post 13957662)
I still think they want to cater to families as you say one of the conventions was a child one,I think unfortunately like everything Disney sometimes it gets very busy!
I think maybe they will look at counter service again in the future, but I think they hope the tower convention guests will eat in the Dahlia lounge and toledo more that mercado de Coronado!
We visited Coronado last September for a quick look around and couldn't believe how quiet is was, all the pools were empty and at that point the dig site was closed and the counter service was empty just us and one other family in, so I suppose it just depends when you visit!

Of course you expect Disney to be busy, especially in the summer but it was already busy on the days when there were no conventions. On the days that there were conventions this doubled.

I agree I think they are hoping people from conventions will be using the new bars/ restaurants in the tower, however mercado de Coronado is outside the convention centre so it will inevitably be used by them, especially for breakfast and lunch. Hopefully they add more quick service eating in the tower, even a snack bar would help.

Bubsi 16 Jul 19 11:21 AM

The coronado was always there convention center hotel abd the renovstions and expansion was soley geared towards pleasing there convention and business clients as they demanded more luxurious facilites and rooms to match other offerings off site. So it would be expected to see business people and conventioners.

However our personal view was to give them that but as a totally seperate resort.

Interesting to hear how the general facikotiea cope with the increase of occupants and housekeeping obvioisly hasnt caught up yet! Glad to hear they dealt with the complaint well.

MrsEgg 16 Jul 19 11:51 AM

We really enjoyed our stay at the end of May/June and we have booked again for next year. Luck of the draw I guess but you get that with all the convention hotels in Disney and also you run the risk of the cheer leading competitions/sports competitions being at any of the Value/Moderates as well as convention go-ers, we stayed at CBR and they were bussing convention people over one year.

Nimbus 16 Jul 19 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lorr05 (Post 13957154)
but for me they are pushing Coronado springs towards conventions with the new bars and restaurants to appeal to couples or business people at conventions rather than families looking for Disney magic.

Yes, indeed. And I think Disney has been reasonably upfront about that fact. It's aimed more at conventioners, whereas most of the other 20+ resorts are aimed more at families looking for Disney magic. They recently added the Gran Destino tower to encourage even more conventioners.

Of the 5 resorts listed on Disney's Meetings & Events website that Disney identifies as being "Ideal for Conventions & Other Large Events", CSR is the cheapest resort listed:

https://www.disneymeetingsandevents... world/resorts/

And, yes, Disney does have a website dedicated to corporate meetings and events at their parks where you can go to organise a convention at their resorts.

sammykitten 16 Jul 19 12:19 PM

I thank you for your review OP, one of the first on the DIBB since the Tower opened for business, giving your opinion of the changes and vibe now that the Tower is occupied and being used by guests.

I can totally see why you feel the way you do, and I think you make some valid points regarding how Disney and travel agents market the CSR still as a family resort, when it may be beneficial to everyone if they knew that the CSR is a convention hotel also.

I love love love the look of the CSR resort, its a major contender for me when we look to stay onsite next time (in a few years) but we will all be adults, no children in our party, and I do agree with you, it appears the resort is more geared to that demopgraphic, compared to families with young children.