theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   TV and Film (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   How much tv? (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1153130)

DisneyDaffodil 20 Nov 19 10:15 PM

How much tv?

I just wondered how much tv everyone watches, and how everyone watches tv now?

I’m not a big tv watcher, I get bored with it. We mainly watch Sky, but record most things to watch when we like. I tend to watch after 8pm for a couple of hours, maybe more on the weekend. I never watch daytime tv or even turn the tv on in the daytime.

I like American dramas like Ray Donavon, Walking Dead, the Chicago programmes, travel and wildlife programmes and a few entertainment shows like Strictly and Graham Norton Show. I’m not a fan of reality shows like Love Island or I’m a Celebrity (but I do like The Apprentice)

We do have Netflix but we don’t watch it enough and I’m never sure how to find programmes we would enjoy on there, we did enjoy Umbrella Academy and the Jack Whitehall Travel’s with my Father series.

My DH watches far more tv than I do, he’s a fan of the survival type of shows such as Alaskan Bush People (which I hate) and will watch the news channels for hours

What’s everyone else’s tv loves, hates and habits? Does anyone want to recommend a tv show to me based on my favourites? Or is there a must see tv show anyone would recommend to everyone?

wanye 21 Nov 19 09:09 AM

we usually watch most nights from around 6pm-10:30ish unless we're off out somewhere.

havent had cable tv or a landline for 4 years now, and watch almost *all* tv through our internet connection. the freeview tuner has been used like 3 times in the last 4 years...

we have netflix, prime video, iplayer (and all the other tv apps) as well as (mostly) watching tv through sonarr/nzbs/usenet subscription. i mostly watch american tv, although i still watch stuff like only connect, HIGNFY, taskmaster, and all the other random weird/funny stuff on bbc4/4od/dave/etc

we dont watch reality tv and talent shows, the nearest my gf gets to that is project runway or chopped. we mostly watch hour long comedy/dramas and 10 minute weird shows on adult swim.

i'm *so* glad i did this, i saved £40 a month on a tv bundle, cut out tv adverts almost entirely, avoid all the grim propaganda on morning tv shows and anger-inducing stuff like love island/celebrity island junk

DisneyDaffodil 21 Nov 19 10:40 AM

Wayne, you have shown how differently we all watch tv now. I know we still watch the ‘old’ way in many ways, but have tried with Netflix but just cannot seem to find anything we really enjoy on there. I’m not sure if that is lack of choice or just that we fail to find anything. There seems to be an awful lot of superhero series or sci-fi on there but that doesn’t appeal to us (although we are big fans of Marvel films, but find the series less exciting)

It’s interesting to see the different options available though. I agree it’s certainly worth changing from Sky and similar financially, we pay £35 for our bundle a month which includes HD and movies. This is a fair bit cheaper than many Sky subscribers costs due to my regular calls to make sure I get the best package possible, but it’s still not cheap

wanye 21 Nov 19 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil (Post 14179604)
Wayne, you have shown how differently we all watch tv now. I know we still watch the ‘old’ way in many ways, but have tried with Netflix but just cannot seem to find anything we really enjoy on there. I’m not sure if that is lack of choice or just that we fail to find anything. There seems to be an awful lot of superhero series or sci-fi on there but that doesn’t appeal to us (although we are big fans of Marvel films, but find the series less exciting)

what sort of stuff do you like? im sure i could suggest a show or two to be going on with...

DisneyDaffodil 21 Nov 19 11:42 AM

Current favourites are
Good Doctor
Ray Donavon
Walking Dead (although I usually hate zombie films and hide behind the cushion at the gory bits 😂 )
Vikings
I also love travel programmes such as
Reggie in China
Simon Reeve travel shows
And Attenborough type of natural world programmes
The only reality/entertainment shows I really watch are Apprentice and Strictly

I’m not keen on police/murder dramas. The only one I can really say I enjoyed was Broadchurch. I find I get bored and lose the plot as I’m not paying enough attention 😀

Edited to add: Comedies I tend to be very fussy on these (as with everything 😂 ) I loved Gavin and Stacey and the Royle Family. Also loved Ricky Gervais’ After Life although I hate everything else he’s made. I do enjoy Motherland too and Jack Whitehall’s Travel with my Father. My favourite series would be Car Share though

braby 21 Nov 19 01:32 PM

We have the full Virgin Media package with Sky Movies and Sports, most weekends I can be found watching sports during the day, we also have an Amazon Prime account plus we scroll through You tube quite a bit. We don't have Netflix but are thinking of ditching Sky Movies for this.
I like drama/thriller/action box sets plus sports, currently watching the new series of Jack Ryan/Bosch/Goliath plus I like the All or Nothing Series on various sports. My partner prefers the regular 5 channels, and watches stuff like Love Island, I'm a celeb, X factor.

wanye 21 Nov 19 01:33 PM

ok, i dont watch a lot of that stuff, but i'm aware of them. a few things to try...

25 minute comedies:
superstore
the good place
fresh off the boat

45 minute drama/comedies
9-1-1
new amsterdam
this is us
silicon valley
halt and catch fire
breaking bad (and better call saul)

and if you like travel shows, then no reservations/the layover with anthony bourdain, and bizarre foods/delicious destinations with andrew zimmern are great (bordain more so for travel, zimmern for food, but both are great)

i tend not to do crime dramas either, or much sci-fi/fantasy (walking dead bored me halfway through season 2 and i never went back)

hopefully thats enough to start you off, ive posted about a bunch of these already in the tv forum, so check the threads for more info, but at least half of them should be easily accessible via netflix or similar...

DisneyDaffodil 21 Nov 19 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wanye (Post 14179768)
ok, i dont watch a lot of that stuff, but i'm aware of them. a few things to try...

25 minute comedies:
superstore
the good place
fresh off the boat

45 minute drama/comedies
9-1-1
new amsterdam
this is us
silicon valley
halt and catch fire
breaking bad (and better call saul)

and if you like travel shows, then no reservations/the layover with anthony bourdain, and bizarre foods/delicious destinations with andrew zimmern are great (bordain more so for travel, zimmern for food, but both are great)

i tend not to do crime dramas either, or much sci-fi/fantasy (walking dead bored me halfway through season 2 and i never went back)

hopefully thats enough to start you off, ive posted about a bunch of these already in the tv forum, so check the threads for more info, but at least half of them should be easily accessible via netflix or similar...

Thanks Wayne, I’m going to check the list out. We do watch 9-1-1 and really enjoy that. I’ve heard so many good reports about Breaking Bad so I really should give that a try.

I have seen a few of the Anthony Bourdain shows and they were good too. I do like the mix of food and travel so will find some Zimmern shows too.

DisneyDaffodil 21 Nov 19 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by braby (Post 14179767)
We have the full Virgin Media package with Sky Movies and Sports, most weekends I can be found watching sports during the day, we also have an Amazon Prime account plus we scroll through You tube quite a bit. We don't have Netflix but are thinking of ditching Sky Movies for this.
I like drama/thriller/action box sets plus sports, currently watching the new series of Jack Ryan/Bosch/Goliath plus I like the All or Nothing Series on various sports. My partner prefers the regular 5 channels, and watches stuff like Love Island, I'm a celeb, X factor.

We did enjoy Sky Movies at first but honestly can’t remember the last film we watched on there. We go to the cinema quite often so prefer to watch films there. I’m only paying £5 pm for Movies at the moment with them but I don’t think we will renew this next time it goes up. My DH is a football fan but we found all the football subscription tv was so expensive, we gave it up so he’s limited to Match of The Day now and the odd match shown on BBC or ITV.

JoJo88 21 Nov 19 01:54 PM

We felt a bit like you about Netflix DD, when we first got it, and couldn’t find much on there. However, between that and Prime, we’ve somehow stumbled across countless fantastic shows in the last year or so, it’s just a case of trying something to see how you get on. I’m not into daytime TV type things and as we usually only properly watch about an hour of TV a night we’re really quite fussy!