theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Theme Parks Florida (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   Trying to get on your lazy river float (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=461909)

Guest 29 Oct 10 04:14 PM

Trying to get on your lazy river float

This was one difficulty I never picked up on the Dibb before we went.

What a job just to get on the rubber float. Not just us having problems either. There was a huge back log of folk struggling to get kids and themselves "floated". We ended up holding floats so people could jump on and then giving them a nudge out so they could get going just so we could clear a space for ourselves, then had to ask those coming behind to help us. Was quite exhausted by the time we eventually got going.

Something to be aware of if you are going round with children is that the current can easily and quickly float them ahead and out of sight. We had this problem first time round. There are double rings so an adult can float with a child but if you cant get one of those and have to take singles then use the handles on the floats. I was in one, DS6 in another and I held onto the handle on his float to keep us together. Much less stressful than watching him disapear while I was stuck under the freezing water fall in the cave :omg: it was cold.

No1 Babe 29 Oct 10 04:35 PM

I always have this problem not only can I not get on the them but I cant get off either. ! Hubby had such laugh at me . I was way behind by the time I got on the ring . When I wanted off I said to him I cant get off this flipping thing he said no prob I'll help ya so over he comes and tips mine over so that I fall into the water .:cry: I have a desperate fear of water I cannot abide to go under!

Guest 29 Oct 10 04:38 PM

This is my least favourite thing about water parks, trying to get onto one of those things always makes me feel (and probably look) like a drunk hippo! :erm:

Guest 29 Oct 10 04:47 PM

After a few years of making a fool of myself trying to get in these things, I have now found that pulling it towards the handrails and standing the steps works best for me :grin:

Gev 29 Oct 10 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell1403 (Post 5452247)
After a few years of making a fool of myself trying to get in these things, I have now found that pulling it towards the handrails and standing the steps works best for me :grin:

Yep, that's the way to go. Trying to work your way back to the steps to do the reverse is something else. I know some people can get a bit panicked and distresses, but it can provide some of the funniest moments of a holiday, though, if people hold their sense of humour. Saw one chap once, who had put the ring over his head so it was around his waist. He managed to jump up so that he was sitting on its edge and had then got one leg out of the donut 'hole'. He couldn't manage to maneuvre the other leg out, though and spent the whole time round with his wife telling him off because he was showing her up. He just kept laughing!

Guest 29 Oct 10 05:28 PM

I am really rubbish at this. The rest of the family just seem to spring into them with the agility of olympic standard gymnasts while I flounder about helplessly before eventually (usually when OH takes pity on me - or is tired of being shown up by me!) being helped on feeling like an elderly, arthritic, hippo that has let herself go a bit!

papworth 29 Oct 10 05:28 PM

I always stand on the steps wih my back to the river and put the ring under my bottom and throw myself backwards.
Getting out, I peel my arms and legs off the ring (they can get stuck to it) on the approach then sit up and edge forwards until standing in the water.

justjo 29 Oct 10 05:34 PM

Getting in is not usually the problem... its getting back ot of the thing for me i have trouble with!

Guest 29 Oct 10 05:45 PM

:d: had forgot about trying to get out.

You think you are springing yourself forward into the deepest depths and end up standing just waist high :d:

mickey68 29 Oct 10 05:48 PM

I have never mastered this either. We had such a laugh trying to 'launch' MIL last year, it was only when we looked back at the photos that we realised that there was such a queue of people waiting behind her! Looking around though lots of people seemed to be struggling.