theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   Finally booked! (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1157759)

Tillyfloss 15 Jan 20 12:25 AM

Finally booked!

Seems so long ago I asked for advice! We are almost checked in on the 6 night western Caribbean on 29th March.
There are 2 of us. Will transfer to the port from Royal Pacific Resort and return to the Poly.
I’ve used Uber a lot but never for that distance - is it a reliable way to get to the port? What time would you suggest arriving?
I’m thinking Disney transport back to the Poly as there are only the 2 of us.
Excursions - not really explored the options or availability !
Any tips or suggestions for DIY welcome.
So looking forward to this trip.
Thanks for advice and help.

Loopylooloo 15 Jan 20 06:04 PM

I cant advise on travel but I wanted to say your trip sounds amazing!

Tillyfloss 15 Jan 20 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loopylooloo (Post 14242936)
I cant advise on travel but I wanted to say your trip sounds amazing!

Thank you! I am looking forward to it. It’s a very special trip - my daughter had a liver transplant at the age of 9 months. On our second day at sea we will celebrate her 30th anniversary of the surgery!
Amazing when we didn’t think she would reach her 1st birthday.

Loopylooloo 16 Jan 20 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tillyfloss (Post 14243270)
Thank you! I am looking forward to it. It’s a very special trip - my daughter had a liver transplant at the age of 9 months. On our second day at sea we will celebrate her 30th anniversary of the surgery!

Bless you thats very special x

danisleigh 16 Jan 20 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tillyfloss (Post 14243270)

Wow I didn’t realise there was another child liver recipient on here! My son is 18 and had his aged 16 after he was born with liver disease and developed liver cancer. It’s amazing to hear your daughter has done so well for so long x

Tillyfloss 16 Jan 20 03:53 PM

[QUOTE=danisleigh;14243954]Wow I didn’t realise there was another child liver recipient on here! My son is 18 and had his aged 16 after he was born with liver disease and developed liver cancer. It’s amazing to hear your daughter has done so well for so long x[/QUOTE

She was very lucky, at the time things were very different and there was a lot of trial and error with the babies. Thankful every day for the courage of her donors family.
She has been very healthy and competed for team GB at several world transplant games, she’s taken a break for the last couple of years. Does your son take part in the games?

danisleigh 16 Jan 20 06:10 PM

[QUOTE=Tillyfloss;14244185]
Quote:

Originally Posted by danisleigh (Post 14243954)
Wow I didn’t realise there was another child liver recipient on here! My son is 18 and had his aged 16 after he was born with liver disease and developed liver cancer. It’s amazing to hear your daughter has done so well for so long x[/QUOTE

She was very lucky, at the time things were very different and there was a lot of trial and error with the babies. Thankful every day for the courage of her donors family.
She has been very healthy and competed for team GB at several world transplant games, she’s taken a break for the last couple of years. Does your son take part in the games?

No he hasn’t yet, he is playing in a transplant football tournament In a couple of months though. He is doing well, his 2nd transplant anniversary is next month so it’s still pretty new for him. Which hospital is your daughter monitored at?

Tillyfloss 16 Jan 20 08:05 PM

She goes to the QE in Birmingham. She was treated at the children’s hospital in Birmingham but had to have her surgery and recovery at the QE as they did not have the facilities at the CH.
Where was your son transplanted?
I’m sure he will enjoy the football, we know several of the team!
Small world!

danisleigh 16 Jan 20 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tillyfloss (Post 14244522)
She goes to the QE in Birmingham. She was treated at the children’s hospital in Birmingham but had to have her surgery and recovery at the QE as they did not have the facilities at the CH.
Where was your son transplanted?
I’m sure he will enjoy the football, we know several of the team!
Small world!

He has been under prof Kelly at Birmingham children’s but had his transplant at the QE as he received a split liver and the other half went to a baby who had her op at the children’s and they can only do one transplant at a time. He has his first transition appt next month at the QE now he is 18, will be weird to say goodbye to the children’s after all these years.

Tillyfloss 16 Jan 20 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danisleigh (Post 14244593)
He has been under prof Kelly at Birmingham children’s but had his transplant at the QE as he received a split liver and the other half went to a baby who had her op at the children’s and they can only do one transplant at a time. He has his first transition appt next month at the QE now he is 18, will be weird to say goodbye to the children’s after all these years.

What an small world it is!
My daughter was one of the prof’s first patients - she was ‘just’ Dr Kelly then but just as wonderful!
I think transition was more difficult for me but my daughter didn’t leave BCH until she was 23!
I’m fairly new to the dibb but happy for you to message me if you want to in case anyone objects to the thread drift.