theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Pre-Trip Reports (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=174)
-   -   CANCELLED 16/07/21 Third attempt.. California, Arizona, Nevada. (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1180248)

cornishfrogboy 23 Oct 20 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SussexFamily (Post 14690039)
CFB, Your trip looks fantastic. You will love the boneyard too. Good Luck! Hope it comes off.

Fingers crossed and I am very confident. I have largely ignored the theme parks as I believe they may be the biggest snag. I have contingency plans in the event that Universal is closed (USS Iowa) and if Warner Bros is closed (Laurel Canyon). I have less than no interest in Disney and have done 6 flags in any case.

There are no activities (other than Warner Bros and Universal) that could in any way be described as ‘mass attendance’ . All I need is to get there and for the Hotels and restaurants to be open.

I honestly believe that if the USA has not opened to us (and others) by next August, then there will be no airlines for mass travel, few theme parks remaining and that the damage to tourism will be both permanent and irreparable.

YorkshireT 23 Oct 20 09:32 AM

I’m the same CFB, booked for next summer. Part of the trip is going to be using my DVC (I hope) at Grand Californian so if DL is not open I’ll have to make alternative plans for that section.

Bozza 23 Oct 20 09:34 AM

Looks a great trip.

Our first (and still only) West Coast trip was also in 2018 and we saw most of the PCH from what I recall, although I remember the mudslide and the issues it had created.

Checking email for the flight confirmations, we were there 10-29 August - maybe we got lucky and arrived just after most of the road was re-opened.

cornishfrogboy 23 Oct 20 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YorkshireT (Post 14690080)
I’m the same CFB, booked for next summer. Part of the trip is going to be using my DVC (I hope) at Grand Californian so if DL is not open I’ll have to make alternative plans for that section.

There is certainly plenty in the area, should parks and high density attractions be either severely restricted or even closed.

In 2018, one of our absolute highlights was the Reagan library in the Simi Valley. As you will see in the trippie in my signature, it is nothing like a Library, huge, and extremely interesting.

There are also RMS Queen Mary (Great to stay the night on and also in the trip report).. and plenty of other alternatives.

Have you done a pre trippy ? I am rather curious as to your plans and in fact, build my own multi centres on the basis of the planning and experiences of others.

YorkshireT 23 Oct 20 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy (Post 14690090)
There is certainly plenty in the area, should parks and high density attractions be either severely restricted or even closed.

In 2018, one of our absolute highlights was the Reagan library in the Simi Valley. As you will see in the trippie in my signature, it is nothing like a Library, huge, and extremely interesting.

There are also RMS Queen Mary (Great to stay the night on and also in the trip report).. and plenty of other alternatives.

Have you done a pre trippy ? I am rather curious as to your plans and in fact, build my own multi centres on the basis of the planning and experiences of others.

Yes I’ve seen the library and really fancy a trip there.

I’ll maybe put up our plans shortly. We are flying to New Orleans and hopefully onto Vegas, then Palm Springs, then Grand Cali, then LA proper.

I’ve been most of these places before, but kids wanted to see NO, Vegas is a base for a day trip to South Rim, Palm Springs haven’t been for 20 odd years and DL I’ve never been to.

Im going to do what ‘Lodge Guys’ did and hike it up to the Hollywood Sign and Observatory also.

cornishfrogboy 23 Oct 20 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YorkshireT (Post 14690104)
Yes I’ve seen the library and really fancy a trip there.

I always admired Reagan and the library tells his and Nancy’s life story really well as you walk a route through the building, passing a replica of the Oval Office.

All the stories come flooding back, Detente, SALT treaty, the Berlin Wall, Second hand rose Nancy, The air traffic controllers strike and Reagan’s dealing with it, etc.

You then enter a huge hall with walkthroughs of his Presidential B707 and also Marine 1, his Cavalcade, the pub where he met the O’Reagans in Ireland etc. There is also a fair bit on his relationship with Margaret and Gorby.

You then finish at the grave of Ron and Nancy, close to which is a life size bronze statue of Ron on a Horse, as he spent his later years on his ranch.

It is absolutely brilliant, on the top of a hill and with magnificent views.

I went to New Orleans many years ago (40 years ago) as a very young Soldier. We sailed a 55 foot yacht from St Petes to New Orleans via Key West after driving down non stop from Washington D.C. We arrived unfortunately on the morning after Mardi Gras. To be fair, I was too young to appreciate it and simply got p***ed for 3 days as squaddies do. Preservation hall was good, though!

YorkshireT 23 Oct 20 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy (Post 14690114)
I always admired Reagan and the library tells his and Nancy’s life story really well as you walk a route through the building, passing a replica of the Oval Office.

All the stories come flooding back, Detente, SALT treaty, the Berlin Wall, Second hand rose Nancy, The air traffic controllers strike and Reagan’s dealing with it, etc.

You then enter a huge hall with walkthroughs of his Presidential B707 and also Marine 1, his Cavalcade, the pub where he met the O’Reagans in Ireland etc. There is also a fair bit on his relationship with Margaret and Gorby.

You then finish at the grave of Ron and Nancy, close to which is a life size bronze statue of Ron on a Horse, as he spent his later years on his ranch.

It is absolutely brilliant, on the top of a hill and with magnificent views.

I went to New Orleans many years ago (40 years ago) as a very young Soldier. We sailed a 55 foot yacht from St Petes to New Orleans via Key West after driving down non stop from Washington D.C. We arrived unfortunately on the morning after Mardi Gras. To be fair, I was too young to appreciate it and simply got p***ed for 3 days as squaddies do. Preservation hall was good, though!

One question - does it also have Zammo in there and ‘Just say no!’ 😂

cornishfrogboy 23 Oct 20 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YorkshireT (Post 14690186)
One question - does it also have Zammo in there and ‘Just say no!’ 😂

It does cover the ‘just say no’ campaign.. I believe that there were pictures and mention of the Grange Hill cast.

They do also have an F117 Stealth fighter and an F14 Tomcat (Gulf of Sidra incident), if that floats your boat!

YorkshireT 23 Oct 20 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy (Post 14690319)
It does cover the ‘just say no’ campaign.. I believe that there were pictures and mention of the Grange Hill cast.

They do also have an F117 Stealth fighter and an F14 Tomcat (Gulf of Sidra incident), if that floats your boat!

That's it I am going!

Have you been to the newer aerospace museum near Washington (its actually near the airport in Virginia?) That is brilliant if you like your planes- they have the first ever passenger jet, Blackbird, the Enola Gay, and the space shuttle.

cornishfrogboy 23 Oct 20 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YorkshireT (Post 14690331)
That's it I am going!

Have you been to the newer aerospace museum near Washington (its actually near the airport in Virginia?) That is brilliant if you like your planes- they have the first ever passenger jet, Blackbird, the Enola Gay, and the space shuttle.

I have been to.. thanks to my highly indulgent wife..

Smithsonian Airspace on the mall at Washington.
The Hazy Centre at Dulles (that is the one you refer to)
Kermit Weeks fantasy of flight at Polk City.
Valiant Air Command Museum at Titusville FL.
Pensacola National Museum of Navy aviation FL
Elgin AFB Armaments Museum FL
USS Alabama memorial park (loads of aircraft there) AL
San Diego Airspace Museum CA
USS Midway, San Diego CA
Castle AFB at Atwater CA
National Museum of the USAF at Dayton OH

As I alluded, I have a wonderful wife!

Still on the list
USS Hornet at San Francisco CA (been within a mile several times)
USS Intrepid at New York.. Seen, photographed but not been on board.
Boeing Museum at Renton WA (cancelled in March).
Pima Airspace Museum AZ, Aug 2021.