theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Trip Planning Florida (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Tell me about economy on BA (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1057096)

Tinks2014 4 Dec 17 05:25 PM

Tell me about economy on BA

Has anyone recently flown with Ba? Can you tell me what the service was like? Do they offer a drink service like VA and wine with your meal? What was recent menu?

For all of you that have been VA fans for years how have you found going by Ba?

Is there also such a thing as another dibbers row or preferred seating?
Been looking at flights and i have always flown virgin but if the price is right ! :)

Sorry for so many questions
Thanks

Shooby doo 4 Dec 17 05:32 PM

TBH we haven't flown with Virgin since a return trip where the IFE didn't work & most of the plane was held together with Duck tape! Have flown BA the last 2 trips & for a total of 6/7 in all.
No bubble or preferred seating that I am aware of, "free drink " yes & wine with your meal also yes. Not sure of current menu.
I haven't seen a VA price South of £1000, even out of Manchester, whereas there are plenty of BA seats at £500 or under. Whilst I would generally say that I don't care how we get there as long as it's at the right price, having flown TC, 3 years ago, it would need to be very right to use them again!
SD:D

Guest 4 Dec 17 05:40 PM

As a long time VA fan..in 2 weeks time we're flying BA..hoping we'll find it comparable at least with VA.I never really enjoy in-flight meals anyway but fingers crossed,it can't be any worse than VA surely.

Moz 4 Dec 17 06:10 PM

I traveled to San Diego from EDI Via LHR 2 weeks ago... wine was served with meal, some asked for 2 and were gladly given them
Meal was a tomato pasta dish which was OK, a roll and butter and a lovely chocolate mousse dessert thing... I wasnt drinking so didnt pay that much attention to the drinks trolley to be honest

I was in 54c which was the second back row, on the aisle of a center of 4 seats... bit cramped but I stood for quite a bit as the guys next to me was 6 foot + and his knees and shoulders were half in my seat...seats which are 2x2 on the sides looked like good seats...bit of room between the seats and the window to stretch out

Ba also didnt get my baggage on that flight... I had to return to the airport 24hrs later to collect it as they put it on the following days flight... after I had to go shopping to get essentials

I returned 3 days later on the same route... oh, and BA didnt make my baggage on the return flight either

Glad I am going VA again for holidays next year...

Didgey 4 Dec 17 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moz (Post 12967290)
I traveled to San Diego from EDI Via LHR 2 weeks ago... wine was served with meal, some asked for 2 and were gladly given them
Meal was a tomato pasta dish which was OK, a roll and butter and a lovely chocolate mousse dessert thing... I wasnt drinking so didnt pay that much attention to the drinks trolley to be honest

I was in 54c which was the second back row, on the aisle of a center of 4 seats... bit cramped but I stood for quite a bit as the guys next to me was 6 foot + and his knees and shoulders were half in my seat...seats which are 2x2 on the sides looked like good seats...bit of room between the seats and the window to stretch out

Ba also didnt get my baggage on that flight... I had to return to the airport 24hrs later to collect it as they put it on the following days flight... after I had to go shopping to get essentials

I returned 3 days later on the same route... oh, and BA didnt make my baggage on the return flight either

Glad I am going VA again for holidays next year...

You do know BA dont actually control the baggage handlers?

I have flown both and say in economy they are comparable and similar in both offering and service. Would say BA are actually better in their service compared to that of VA.

Depends where you are flying from as planes will differ as to recommend a seat.

tinytots 4 Dec 17 07:05 PM

We normally travel VA but in August travelled BA for the first time. If I had a choice and money to one side, I would choose Virgin. However, we did receive a great service going out to San Francisco with BA in economy. Yes the seats were a bit old and tatty but the enthusiasm of the cabin crew made up for it. Great service.
On return we flew BA Premium economy. What a let down, antiquated IFE and footrests that did not work. BA PE does not hold a candle to PE Virgin and I was glad I only paid a small amount.
I've also had flights with Virgin where cabin crew were rude and unhelpful. So I guess in a nutshell, you pay your money you take your chance. You get good and bad flights and experiences in economy with most airlines. Much down to the cabin crew, service and the efficiency of IFE etc... My baggage has been lost a few times by different airlines. Not a lot you can do about that.
My personal opinion in economy is there is not much in it. You still sit there for X amount of hours. If BA are hundreds cheaper, it's a no brainer.

Persnicketty 4 Dec 17 07:17 PM

The BA 777-200 fleet on the MCO and TIA routes are tired and grubby inside. And BA cost cutting on cabin service has become the stuff of legend in recent times. (offering a cereal bar for 2nd meal).

However, in 2018, refurbished cabins are being introduced gradually, as early as May/June. And their CEO has announced there will be better value re-introduced on inflight meals etc.

With the refurb, though, the aircraft are also being "densified". Extra seats squeezed in. 10 wide in economy. And premium economy is overpriced most of the time

But they do tend to be affordable compared to competitors. And as long as their prices, including connections to London, remain competitive, I'd still use them.

scottishmum 4 Dec 17 08:43 PM

They are ok, saying that last year had the worst air hostess’ ever, I was chatting up the back of plane with a couple of ladies, we were told to talk quieter as they were trying to sleep... a day time flight Just three hours into it.

Planes can be a bit older , bit jaded. Thomas cook were more modern, cleaner planes.
As for the food, not as good as Thos cook, oh and as usual the return breakfast is dire, then again it is on most airlines .

gazadonna9 4 Dec 17 08:49 PM

I have never flown virgin but have flown with many different airlines to Orlando. I returned economy last week with BA and yes you get wine served with dinner (which was a choice of either curry, sausage n mash or a pasta dish). The drink trolly came round a couple of times but if passengers wanted more it was available at the back of aircraft. Before we landed in Orlando we were served a wrap and a chocolate toblerone which was really nice. Price determines who I fly with as it’s a means to get to my destination and to be fair I have no complaints regarding comfort or staff.

macadoo 4 Dec 17 11:35 PM

Flew back with BA in August, the crew were far more pleasant than VA crew have ever been, meals pretty much the same as VA with wine included. Plenty of drinks service, not so good ife, plane in need of a refurb. We'll fly with whichever who offers the best price.