theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Team Bricki's Super Secret Magical Wedding and Honeymoon Adventure- Day 1 KSS& Boma Sat 4th May 2019 (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1130237)

princessnicki 25 May 19 10:48 PM

Team Bricki's Super Secret Magical Wedding and Honeymoon Adventure- Day 1 KSS& Boma Sat 4th May 2019

Today was to be one of many very early starts but we were too excited to notice- i am so glad we walk to work and have a home gym as it really helped our fitness and tiredness levels for the trip. I was so grateful we managed to beat the jet lag as we both woke up at 5am when our alarm went off! The plan today was Kennedy Space Centre- a big must on Brett's bucket list as he loves all things NASA and space. Brett wanted to see the main parts of the exhibit- Atlantis, the bus tour, the rocket garden and hopefully see an astronaut. We were getting the bus from All Star Music at 8.05am but decided to set off a bit earlier and get breakfast from the food court. I had a Mimosa and the Bounty Platter and Brett had a Backstage Pass (chocolate milkshake with Bourbon) and Chocolate Chip Pancakes with Bacon and Sausage. Both decent size portions and a good use of a QS credit that would keep us going nicely until dinner.

The bus arrived on time and we were off on the hour long journey to Cape Canaveral. The tour guide was really good and very helpful in advising which sections to do first. He said it was impossible to do it all in one day and so to start with the bus tour and then Atlantis as they both take a couple of hours each then try do two or three of the other areas and then the Rocket Garden on the way out. So that's what we did. We arrived and went straight to the bus tour, which was already showing a 30 minute wait but it arrived in around 10 minutes. The bus tour takes you on a tour of the NASA facility and lets you have a look in the restricted areas of the site. You can see the vehicle assembly building and launch complex. There is a video explaining everything as you go round and interviews with workers.

You end up at the Apollo building where they tell you all about Apollo 8 through films and they even have the genuine launch consoles from the official mission. At the end there is a building holding all the official rockets. The size of them was mindblowing- i expected them to be big but they were off the scale.

We went into the gift shop and Brett found the one thing i know he was desperate to buy- an official NASA replica jacket. I told him to try one on but he was reluctant to spend $80 on day one. I said there was no way we were leaving without it but he still needed convincing even though i know he wanted it. I said i had cancelled my mobile spray tan for the wedding as 1) it was silly money at $65 plus tip and 2) my wedding look needed pale skin (my vision for the day was 1960s Audrey Hepburn) so technically we had an extra $80 in the pot that i had forgotten about. This was probably the best purchase of the holiday- these pictures make my heart melt, i could tell how happy he was and how he had ticked off so many things off his bucket list.

We got the bus back to the main complex and hit the Atlantis exhibit. There was another really interesting film at the beginning explaining about the history of the journey to get Atlantis built and into space. At the end the screens open and the Atlantis shuttle is there in all its glory.

We had a look round the area and learned about what the astronauts have to go through in space and what the pilots seats look like.

Brett had a go on the space slide (i need to work out how to post videos so will add this later)

We went into the memorial gallery which showed the lives of all the people who died in space. It was really moving. We went onto the shuttle simulator, which was really similar to Mission Space at Epcot. Brett wasnt keen when we first sat down but he loved it once we set off. I on the other hand hated it, i love rollercoasters but the spinning simulators are not for me.

We then went to grab a quick snack from Milky Way Icecreams- a mint chocolate chip and cookies and cream waffle sundae. It was delicious and very bad for you.

Brett wanted to see if we there was an astronaut talk today and there was one due to start in 10 minutes so we headed to the theatre. The astronaut was Norm Thagard and his talk was one of the most interesting things i have ever had the pleasure of listening to. What a life this man has led- he is so intelligent! He has had so many high profile careers- doctor, scientist, astronaut. He did 7 space missions and a total of 140 days in space in his lifetime

We had a look round the gift shops and then took some pictures in the Rocket Garden before heading back to the bus home.

I must admit this is not a place that was ever on my list of places to see but i was very pleasantly surprised. It was such an interesting place and i really enjoyed learning about NASA and the space missions. Brett absolutely loved it, as you can probably tell from the pictures, he found it all so fascinating.

We had a quick shower and change back at the hotel ready for dinner at Boma. I had high hopes for this meal as there were a few South African dishes such as Boerewors stew, Bobotie and Pap and Chakalaka. The food smelt amazing and we werent disappointed. I just had the one plate but it was delicious. Brett managed two plates and left room to sample the famous Zebra Domes (i get the hype!). We didnt manage to take any pictures of the buffet as it was so busy and there was always a queue. We had a couple of cocktails, African Rum Runner, Raspberry Mojito and Watermelon Margarita. If i'm honest they werent the best but not terrible. Our server was lovely and brought us a cute little cupcake and a glass of champagne each for our honeymoon.

It was a lovely meal and a fantastic first Disney TS credit. We went to bed around 10.30pm. We had Seaworld on the cards in the morning.

Goldia 26 May 19 09:35 AM

We've never been to Kennedy space centre, it sounds like you had s great time and we will really have to make the effort sometime!

Beccleberry 26 May 19 09:53 AM

Loving the trip report so far :) sounds like a wonderful honeymoon/wedding x

DollyDimples 26 May 19 09:58 AM

Looks like a great day. I am excited for our trip to Kennedy after we have done the Disney part of our upcoming trip.

princessnicki 26 May 19 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldia (Post 13866592)
We've never been to Kennedy space centre, it sounds like you had s great time and we will really have to make the effort sometime!

I honestly thought it was going to be boring as it is all exhibits and films but it was really interesting and i enjoyed learning about NASA and all the space missions

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beccleberry (Post 13866631)
Loving the trip report so far :) sounds like a wonderful honeymoon/wedding x

Thank you so much, it really was magical

Quote:

Originally Posted by DollyDimples (Post 13866646)
Looks like a great day. I am excited for our trip to Kennedy after we have done the Disney part of our upcoming trip.

It is really fun, very different to the other parks as it is more educational but i genuinely found it really interesting, if you can see the astronaut talk i highly recommend that

mick 26 May 19 01:34 PM

Looks like you had a great day :spin: we also found it very interesting when we went.

Joan:wave:

princessnicki 26 May 19 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick (Post 13867073)
Looks like you had a great day :spin: we also found it very interesting when we went.

Joan:wave:

It really was, i am so glad i went as i probably would never have gone if my husband hadnt wanted to

princessnicki 26 May 19 07:05 PM

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxR2pVgD...d=dxju24hxim2a

I think this is the only way i can do it- the space slide at KSS :cool2:

Loulabelle18 26 May 19 07:28 PM

I felt the same as you about Kennedy but ended up spending hours there. Brett’s face on every picture made me smile, looks like the 2nd best day of his life! 😁

princessnicki 26 May 19 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loulabelle18 (Post 13867811)
I felt the same as you about Kennedy but ended up spending hours there. Brett’s face on every picture made me smile, looks like the 2nd best day of his life! 😁

It's really good isnt it, i was fascinated by the films about the space missions! That jacket was worth every penny :D