theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Trip Planning Florida (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Pushchair for 7 year old? (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=977639)

pixie81 20 Aug 16 10:35 AM

Pushchair for 7 year old?

Our Daughter will be seven and a half on our next trip. I know how horribly whiny and clingy she gets now when she's tired and if we were going tomorrow I would definitely take a stroller. DH reckons she'll be older and we won't need to take a pushchair for her and he'll carry her if she gets tired, but I'm thinking for ease, should we just take one? I know if he's carrying her she will be heavy and is will restrict us doing things in the evening. A stroller is just to use in the evenings... We'll be relying on Disney transportation to get us around and won't have a car.

BevS97 20 Aug 16 10:39 AM

I would wait until closer to the trip and see how you feel. When my kids were borderline, I went without and decided that if necessary I would buy one over there, or rent occasionally in the evenings (saying that stroller rental was a lot cheaper than it is now).

in the event, I ended up renting a stroller for both kids one evening when they were 6, and other than that they were able to walk.

Bazinga 39 20 Aug 16 11:07 AM

My youngest DD will also be seven on our next trip and I have been debating this for a while, I think I'm going to hire one from one of the stroller companies when we are there, we will be there in August and none of us will want to carry a tired child in that heat, I'm thinking it will also be handy for bags and we will only use it on our busiest days.

Maxymoo 20 Aug 16 11:20 AM

I took one for my 7 yr old in July. We had 3 kids between us - 4,7 and 8 and 2 strollers. It was a godsend , although my ds is an excellent walker at home it gave him somewhere to sit if needed , it was v hot, which meant they got a lot more tired and we were often out really late, adrenaline kept them going so long but I found by the time we came to make our way out of the parks they would suddenly slump and trying to drag/ carry a v tired 7/8 yr old out parc on a bus etc is not pleasant! It ablso gave us somewhere to put stuff - I found carrying stuff and all the walking gave me a bad back but was fine pushing the stroller.

Toria_dee 20 Aug 16 11:35 AM

I'm hiring a double for my 8 year old and 5 year old, well that's the age they'll be at the time.

It's costing $170 for 3 weeks, but it's money well spent IMO. We'll be getting a GT City Mini Double. We'll be using Kingdom Strollers.

xx

mushumadness 20 Aug 16 11:37 AM

I have to say I've never contemplated it
My kids were 7/6/5/5 when we went at Easter and were perfectly fine walking
Granted we don't stay in the park all day or we would all be fed up

yogadeb 20 Aug 16 11:58 AM

We used one last year and our son was 5 and it was a godsend
We're going back when he's 7 and we won't use one , we're just going to go slow, not rush and plan to have a lot of chill out pool times too .

bighal 20 Aug 16 12:00 PM

Simple answer, and I know others will disagree, is no... if your child gets tired and grumpy why keep dragging them around? You should just leave and go for a rest. There is nothing worse then seeing tired and whingy kids being dragged around parks etc .

Floridarules 20 Aug 16 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mushumadness (Post 11919474)
I have to say I've never contemplated it
My kids were 7/6/5/5 when we went at Easter and were perfectly fine walking
Granted we don't stay in the park all day or we would all be fed up

My son was 6 on our first visit and never even considered it. If he was tired, we sat/rested and then we went back to the villa.

Thorpy 20 Aug 16 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pixie81 (Post 11919333)
Our Daughter will be seven and a half on our next trip. I know how horribly whiny and clingy she gets now when she's tired and if we were going tomorrow I would definitely take a stroller. DH reckons she'll be older and we won't need to take a pushchair for her and he'll carry her if she gets tired, but I'm thinking for ease, should we just take one? I know if he's carrying her she will be heavy and is will restrict us doing things in the evening. A stroller is just to use in the evenings... We'll be relying on Disney transportation to get us around and won't have a car.

My daughter was born in October, and we go in late August, at almost 3 we took a stroller, and used it a good few times, at almost 4 we didn't take one of our own, but I quite often carried her, and we rented a stroller twice. At almost 5, whenever she looked tired, either I did a 5 minute carry if say we were heading for a bus, or we had an ice cream/drink stop if that was appropriate. At seven I would not have carried her at all, but we would still be prepeared to stop so she could rest if required.