theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Additional Support Needs & DAS (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Disney Access Pass - please help explain! (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1056612)

Grimdogg 27 Nov 17 11:37 PM

Disney Access Pass - please help explain!

We have been planning our Disney holiday for some time now and have been struggling with our 4 year olds behaviour. More recently, he has shown difficulties adjusting to school life and we are coming to terms with the possibility he may be on the spectrum. We are in the process of him being diagnosed.

One area in which we are worried about is the long queues at the theme parks. He cannot stand still ever, he climbs (anything!) he hides, runs away and displays aggression when he becomes overwhelmed.

I understand there is a system to support families with additional needs - does any one know how this system works?

Also does any one have any advice when taking a child with ASD to Disney?

mushumadness 27 Nov 17 11:50 PM

My son is diagnosed with autism and ADHD he is right now
We used what used to be called the guest assistance card I think it's called something else now
Lets you get a time tomreturn to thenride
Instead of standing in the que only one at a time mind
As for help we can't go all day it
Stresses him out, we go early or late
We plan ahead shownhim the rides online and videos etc so he know the routine

Peko 28 Nov 17 08:27 AM

It's now called the Disabilty Access Pass (DAS), and allows you to get a return time which corresponds to the current wait time for the ride, but without having to stand in the queue.

You register at guest relations in any of the parks, and it is valid for the duration of your ticket or 14 days, whichever is shorter. They will take a picture on iPad of your son for ID purposes, and register the whole party, so you can ride together. The registered person does not have to be there to get the return time, but they do have to ride in order for others in the party to do so. It works very well (go to FP entrance of the rides to get the return time, and at that time go in via the FP entrance, registered person first), where you will need to queue as long as you would for a normal FP. You can only have a return time for one ride at a time, but you can do them in between FPs. More details here:

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...rd-fact-sheet/

Universal has a similar, but paper-based system. Couldn't find the official page, but this website covers it and also has more info to help those with Autism (and their families) visiting Disney and other parks.

http://autismattheparks.com/uor-disability-passes.html

Every ASD child is different so I don't like to generalise, but think about the things that keep them calm in everyday life and replicate them as far as possible. Given the level of stimulus at the parks, you may need to take action sooner than normal and build in breaks, plenty of notice about the plan for the day (including options if things don't go exactly as planned) etc...we found half days or thereabouts at the parks were enough, but of course it depends on the child (and the rest of you, there is always the need to try and find balance if there are other children to consider). You can build in breaks while waiting for return times. Hope this helps.

Guest 28 Nov 17 08:40 AM

Be careful what you ask for.

Be very sure that your child's behaviour can't be managed and improved by more discipline and regimented approach to life.

Whilst these issues are real it is too easy to jump to ADHD and other issues nowadays.

For those that genuinely suffer from this they have my sympathies but for anyone reading thinking "Oh that would make queueing easier" please think twice. Once diagnosed with ADHD etc it stays with the child's medical records forever.

Whilst most doctors won't just say "yes, ADHD confirmed - next" if the case is borderline and you seem to be keen to have it diagnosed they will take a path of least resistance

Seems a large price to pay for a shorter queue

TinkTatoo 28 Nov 17 08:52 AM

The Disney Assistance Pass is a small part of taking a child with Autism to WDW. As the others have said, it will allow you to get a return time for and wait somewhere else but even then it will involve some queuing. Also you might find your son is totally overwhelmed by the whole park experience, sites, sounds and crowds etc. and the only advice I can give is to be guided by his ability to cope and be prepared to leave when he has enough and before he goes into meltdown.

When my two were young we got to the parks for opening, fastpassed our must do rides and more often than not, had to leave by mid morning and go back to the hotel so they could chill back in the room and then spend the afternoon in the pool (which they loved) It wasn't the way we would have planned to spend the trip but their needs came first and we had a much better holiday than if we'd stayed in the parks and forced them to be somewhere they could't cope with.

Grimdogg 28 Nov 17 11:17 PM

Thank you all for the sound advice and guidance - its funny, we already planned to have regular breaks and had already started planning our holiday around the way in which our son would behave as we are so used to his particular behaviour we naturally plan for it.

It's only recently that the terms ASD or ADHD have been used in discussion with his school and GP that we are looking at him in a complete different light - it's helped open our eyes more so but has also caused great concern as parents!

Grimdogg 28 Nov 17 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peko (Post 12960566)
It's now called the Disabilty Access Pass (DAS), and allows you to get a return time which corresponds to the current wait time for the ride, but without having to stand in the queue.

You register at guest relations in any of the parks, and it is valid for the duration of your ticket or 14 days, whichever is shorter. They will take a picture on iPad of your son for ID purposes, and register the whole party, so you can ride together. The registered person does not have to be there to get the return time, but they do have to ride in order for others in the party to do so. It works very well (go to FP entrance of the rides to get the return time, and at that time go in via the FP entrance, registered person first), where you will need to queue as long as you would for a normal FP. You can only have a return time for one ride at a time, but you can do them in between FPs. More details here:

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...rd-fact-sheet/

Universal has a similar, but paper-based system. Couldn't find the official page, but this website covers it and also has more info to help those with Autism (and their families) visiting Disney and other parks.

http://autismattheparks.com/uor-disability-passes.html

Every ASD child is different so I don't like to generalise, but think about the things that keep them calm in everyday life and replicate them as far as possible. Given the level of stimulus at the parks, you may need to take action sooner than normal and build in breaks, plenty of notice about the plan for the day (including options if things don't go exactly as planned) etc...we found half days or thereabouts at the parks were enough, but of course it depends on the child (and the rest of you, there is always the need to try and find balance if there are other children to consider). You can build in breaks while waiting for return times. Hope this helps.

My biggest concern is that we are travelling with a group of 11 - this has challenges in itself but if our son really cannot cope in the long queue times - will this mean we have to separate from the rest of the group? It'll be sad as we are travelling together to experience Disney together - even if that means waiting in long queue times!

mandco 29 Nov 17 10:46 PM

my youngest is currently waiting to be assessed(it takes ages) but we have taken him before and coped without any addition assistance. The key is to know his triggers and plan accordingly.

Fast pass does work well and it something you can do with your whole group regardless of whether or not you get a das pass. It often reduces waiting time significantly which makes a big difference to a child who struggles with waiting.
Being overtired is a huge trigger for my ds so we would have early evenings or later starts depending on how he was coping. He's really not one for being woken up until he's ready or the whole day can be a write off so we don't plan early starts.

Be guided by what he's happy to do and try not to feel disappointed if you don't do everything you hoped too. He may love mickey but be terrified to see him in real life. Don't expect him to sit through a show or ts meal if its something he struggles with at home.

amandajane10 30 Nov 17 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grimdogg (Post 12961486)
My biggest concern is that we are travelling with a group of 11 - this has challenges in itself but if our son really cannot cope in the long queue times - will this mean we have to separate from the rest of the group? It'll be sad as we are travelling together to experience Disney together - even if that means waiting in long queue times!

We are a group of 11 as well but we have 2 kids with asd so will get 2 access passes. You can book the fastpasses as a group of 11 though.

WickedPlans 7 Dec 17 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guest (Post 12960575)
Be careful what you ask for.

Be very sure that your child's behaviour can't be managed and improved by more discipline and regimented approach to life.

Whilst these issues are real it is too easy to jump to ADHD and other issues nowadays.

For those that genuinely suffer from this they have my sympathies but for anyone reading thinking "Oh that would make queueing easier" please think twice. Once diagnosed with ADHD etc it stays with the child's medical records forever.

Whilst most doctors won't just say "yes, ADHD confirmed - next" if the case is borderline and you seem to be keen to have it diagnosed they will take a path of least resistance

Seems a large price to pay for a shorter queue

This really is nonsense.

ADHD/ASD are NEVER diagnosed as the path of least resistance. It's never a simple process to get a diagnosis, it takes numerous assessments and appointments. I know so many parents who have been left in that limbo of their child being borderline but not enough to diagnose. If they have any doubt, the default is to not diagnose.

All kids need discipline. Good discipline is not harsh or authoritarian. Routine is very helpful, a regimented approach to life sounds pretty dire.

Nobody gets a diagnosis because they think it will make queuing at theme parks easier.
A diagnosis is never "a price to pay" for anything. You make it sound like something that will negatively affect a child for the rest of their lives when that is not the case.