theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Trip Planning Florida (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Solo visitor - don't know what to do (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1057368)

papasmurf 8 Dec 17 12:45 AM

Solo visitor - don't know what to do

I've posted a couple of threads about places to stay etc. But looking for general advice on what I can get up to as a solo visitor to Orlando.

It's part of a works trip, but essentially I'll have three full days, one mid/late evening when I land, a day until about 6 pm and a day until about 1 pm (coming home day) to do what i wish.

I'm due to arrive at 430, so by the time I get my bag, car and get to the hotel it will probably be 7pm or so. I'm thinking heading straight to MK for the fireworks and do the rides I want to for the remainder of the evening.

Beyond that, I'm at a loss on things I can do, how I'll plan the parks etc etc.

I've been 3 times over 10 weeks in the last three years. Each time with two kids and the Mrs. So it's a weird way of thinking about planning. Just me.

I'm traveling in 5 weeks! '

Any thoughts?

Anything out with the walls of Disney worth doing by yourself?

Other parks are out due to cost as we will be back in October :D

HelenJNT 8 Dec 17 01:12 AM

I think if parks are out, on my main day I would do some resort hopping. Go and visit the ones I’d always wanted to have a beak around, have a drink in some of the bars. Then I’d probably head to the Boardwalk to sit and watch the world go by, maybe have a round trip on the friendship boat, then go to Disney Springs for some shopping (I suspect Mrs PM will be expecting a nice gift) and perhaps see a movie and have dinner or a couple more drinks. Interested to hear what you decide. Mini trip report in the works?

duchy 8 Dec 17 02:43 AM

I think I'd be looking at things you can't do with young kids in tow. Duelling pianos springs to mind on the Boardwalk, some of the moe exotic quick services at EPCOT ,Japan for example, any rides none of the family wanted to do ...except you so they got skipped.? Trader Sams at the Poly is another spot worth doing (inside not on the terrace), single rider lines are a very different experience too.
I'd probably do less MK and more of the other parks solo.

ERICSMUM 8 Dec 17 07:16 AM

Have you been to Kennedy Space Center ?

floridasgirl 8 Dec 17 08:35 AM

Have you got Disney tickets? Not sure i would be paying yo go for 1 day.
Like others say i would do things you cant do with kids.
Kennedy Space Centre sounds a good idea.

papasmurf 8 Dec 17 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ERICSMUM (Post 12970853)
Have you been to Kennedy Space Center ?

Yes, did it this summer but it was the last day of our holiday and the kids were knackered so weren't best behaved and I'm sure I missed loads. Good option.

To the poster above, the Disney parks are in, I think. Just the others are out.

papasmurf 8 Dec 17 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floridasgirl (Post 12970884)
Have you got Disney tickets? Not sure i would be paying yo go for 1 day.
Like others say i would do things you cant do with kids.
Kennedy Space Centre sounds a good idea.

I will have. I think. I will probably get an annual ticket.

First night I'm thinking about makin a beeline for MK to see the fire works without having to cover kids ears then do the major rises as the park is closing (planning on sleeping in the flight over :))

Beyond that, it's up for planning.

Moz 8 Dec 17 10:15 AM

I was over last year for work [didnt have park tickets] and spent a lot of the spare time in Disney Springs [was working there prior to opening of the new stores]... just sitting watching the world go by with several coffees.

Very peaceful... funny watching the families rush around as they have rides / ADRs etc to go hit... now I know what what we must look like when we go as a family..!

duchy 8 Dec 17 11:35 AM

I do think doing if in a different style is great. If you do a modified version of what you'd do as a family you'd probably really miss them but treating it as a different type of break won't be the same.
I'm sure you'll find some new things to share on the next family holiday too tho.

Just_Pete 8 Dec 17 11:41 AM

When I’m there solo it’s because Im staying with local friends and they are at work sometimes so I am occupying myself. I would definitely echo the comment above about a bit of resort hopping. I start out at the Boardwalk area then I bus to Springs for a spot of lunch and a wander around there before bussing over to Wilderness Lodge. Have a wander and a drink there, then onto the boat to do the Monorail resorts loop. Deffo try and stop for a drink at Trader Sams, and ideally end up in Grand Flo for when the band is playing and a drink or two in Mizners!